SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Checked back at the SSP Dev regions on the grid that appears to be showing the development of stilt homes and houseboats. 

Looks to contain all the known Linden Homes: OL Stilts running top to bottom on the left side; OW Stilts across the top line; Log cabins on the second line; Victorians on the third: Ooo... a gap...watch that space!; Trailers on the next line; Next Trads; and finally Houseboats. There's another handy spot to watch running top to bottom next to the OL Stilts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Checked back at the SSP Dev regions on the grid that appears to be showing the development of stilt homes and houseboats. 

1671705780_LHDev.PNG.c17f363034a79e53a937a9c9c61fba41.PNG

The "SSP Dev Final2" looks like what they would set up for an Expo - a sampling of all current Linden Homes for folks to look at.

• Moles
3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The "SSP Dev Final2" looks like what they would set up for an Expo - a sampling of all current Linden Homes for folks to look at.

The SSP Dev Final regions are where we keep reference copies of current LDPW Bellisseria content after it's passed QA.

What you're seeing is four on-land stilt houses at the south of the region and four on-water models at the north.     (I put them there  a week or so ago).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 14

Has anyone heard any clues as to what sort of thing will be in the big empty space between the two wings of StiltHaven?  More stilts and houseboats?  Open water?  New theme?

/me hums a few bars to the as yet unwritten tune, "On the Wings of StiltHaven"  ♪ ♫

Inquiring minds want to know (because we're poring over the map wondering what Stilt regions we like best, of course).

And, will there be a Community Center for StiltHaven?  Big waves?

• Like 4

I'm one of the Merfolk in SL. I have a "brother" avatar (biped) who is looking to get a stilt home. The depth of water under the houseboats is deeper than under the stilt homes and is level. The sea floor under the stilt homes (that I've seen) is sloped. I was able to create an underwater home under my houseboat (pic below). I couldn't do this under a stilt home. But I am really looking forward to visiting the waters around stilt homes. It just looks awesome. So I agree that a region with stilts, houseboats, open water, and any other water themes could be a great place for underwater citizens. 

ruins.jpg.77592e043a66d0cafa9fbcca0c384085.jpg

• Like 20

4 hours ago, Kiel Wiefel said:

I'm one of the Merfolk in SL. I have a "brother" avatar (biped) who is looking to get a stilt home. The depth of water under the houseboats is deeper than under the stilt homes and is level. The sea floor under the stilt homes (that I've seen) is sloped. I was able to create an underwater home under my houseboat (pic below). I couldn't do this under a stilt home. But I am really looking forward to visiting the waters around stilt homes. It just looks awesome. So I agree that a region with stilts, houseboats, open water, and any other water themes could be a great place for underwater citizens. 

ruins.jpg.77592e043a66d0cafa9fbcca0c384085.jpg

You must have been lucky with your houseboat then, the ones I have had, came with very shallow water. You can see my small motorboat. I have abandoned this one. It was next to a very deep canal, but the Moles had created a "shelf" for the houseboats. I sent the camera down to inspect, and the poles went on way, way below the sand bottom, so it was not that the pier had short poles either.

I hope it will be deep water for the stilts that are surrounded by water.

underw_003ed.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, Kiel Wiefel said:

I'm one of the Merfolk in SL. I have a "brother" avatar (biped) who is looking to get a stilt home. The depth of water under the houseboats is deeper than under the stilt homes and is level. The sea floor under the stilt homes (that I've seen) is sloped.

You just got lucky with your houseboat then 😉 I had some awfully shallow boats in the past, with water not deeper than 3m.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Kiel Wiefel said:

Absolutely, I know there is some underwater stuff, but I would like more. The old continent has some weird and wonderful marine exploration spots (watch out for hazards though!)

Shoki_027.jpg

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

• Moles
8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I hope it will be deep water for the stilts that are surrounded by water.

The depth of the water in a stilt home parcel won't be any deeper than the length of the stilts because they need to touch bottom. The depth of a houseboat parcel is affected by the length of the poles for the docks around them, which also need to touch bottom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

5 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

The depth of the water in a stilt home parcel won't be any deeper than the length of the stilts because they need to touch bottom. The depth of a houseboat parcel is affected by the length of the poles for the docks around them, which also need to touch bottom. 

Would not be difficult to make longer stilts or poles would it?

• Like 1

• Moles
15 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Would not be difficult to make longer stilts or poles would it?

If you mean change the mesh of all the stilt houses, send them all back through QA for the mesh, then QA again for the scripts to confirm they haven't been affected, then account for any LI limit changes and re-terraform all the parcels across nearly 200 regions, then QA all of the regions once again for the new terrain levels and all the content around them... Yes. It would.

Actually changing the mesh of the houses to make the stilts longer would probably not take long, but everything that change would affect would require many months of rework and delay any and all progress on future themes and releases.  

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

Wut? 5ff6eed24cbc4369d8339e7a734d7716--donkey

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

These @Abnor Mole posts really lend some insight into how things end up the way they are. I do appreciate them.

I've just grabbed a houseboat in Yorith, a millipede property which floats over a fairly deep sea-bed (somewhere off the south-west corner of the Victorian continent, the map is playing up for me so can't be more exact)
I wonder if the stilt millipede houseboats might have a better water depth for Mer construction?

17 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

If you mean change the mesh of all the stilt houses, send them all back through QA for the mesh, then QA again for the scripts to confirm they haven't been affected, then account for any LI limit changes and re-terraform all the parcels across nearly 200 regions, then QA all of the regions once again for the new terrain levels and all the content around them... Yes. It would.

Actually changing the mesh of the houses to make the stilts longer would probably not take long, but everything that change would affect would require many months of rework and delay any and all progress on future themes and releases.  

Well I apologize for underestimating the problem. Maybe because I do not make mesh and still think in prims (where you could just click edit linked parts and stretch them)...

But even if it is mesh - and cannot be altered now after having had QA and all that ... maybe just as a thought for the next similar case ...

It could not have harmed from the beginning to make poles and stilts MUCH longer than usually needed to fit any needs for they go into the ground and can got into it for meters and meters without showing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

It could not have harmed from the beginning to make poles and stilts MUCH longer than usually needed to fit any needs for they go into the ground and can got into it for meters and meters without showing.

Mer people has talked about deeper water since the release of the first houseboats. People with larger boats too, because their boats scraped the bottom.

So deeper water has been discussed a year and a half. In every thread about "what theme do you wish to see" is it merpeople who wish for it.

Longer poles could have been made from the beginning, and the water deeper. If LL wanted to do it.

When I sent the camera down under the sand surface this summer, I could see the houseboat pier poles continue to go down. The water was shallow, even if the poles were long enough for deeper water.

I do not attack the moles, decisions about themes and water depth is done higher up. Moles do a great job with what they get to work with. I am going to ignore posts about how little I appreciate what they do for us, etc etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Well I apologize for underestimating the problem. Maybe because I do not make mesh and still think in prims (where you could just click edit linked parts and stretch them)...

Even if it had been prims, changing the size of one or more pieces within a linkset could still impact the scripts that rez the houses, which still means all of QA has to be done again.

When dealing with anything that has computer code behind it, even the slightest change can impact something unforeseen and thus any change at all typically requires a full QA of every single thing that could possibly be affected.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

No apologies are necessary. It just goes to show how something that seems simple often it really not simple at all. And while the length of the poles would not have any effect on the house rezzing, it would have an effect on the LI of the house itself. Part of the calculation of the LI of a mesh object is it's size, and making the legs extremely long on all the houses (something you won't generally see because it is buried underground) means the house would have to shed some complexity someplace else (which you would always see) to make up for the increased LI. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Is it too late for that?

It is too late for anything related to the Stilt homes.  The mesh for all 4 styles is already completed and cannot be changed without massive follow-up work. Because of how the homes rez, they can't use one set of the Stilt styles for the existing regions and a modified set of the styles for upcoming regions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is too late for anything related to the Stilt homes.  The mesh for all 4 styles is already completed and cannot be changed without massive follow-up work. Because of how the homes rez, they can't use one set of the Stilt styles for the existing regions and a modified set of the styles for upcoming regions.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant is it too late to fit this idea into one of the designs not yet built. I'm wondering how fixed those designs are now.