SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I saw them working all weekend. There are still a sim or two in the northern area (SSPE84?) to go. But it's looking like release is becoming imminent, perhaps around the end of the month or early next month.

Edit to add: You can see where they're expanding to build next:

SSP Map

Also SSP100 looks this way. I suspect they may also go with SSP278 and 279 before they're done. Possibly even more, though I'm hoping not, because anticipation. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

More camping trailer areas getting infrastructure. They are working southward in the big trailer area now.  I am beginning to wonder if they decided the "flow" wasn't workin up at SSP84 regions.   I can see that this fits in a lot better. Maybe SSP84 will be destined for another style. Time will tell. 

ALSO, back to that "commercial" area that is now covered from the air.  I couldn't remember the context of the planned commercial spot Patch had talked about but found some info on a notecard today while cleaning out my inventory.   It was the "Meet the Lindens" at SL16B.   But he was indeed talking about community market style stalls that will potentially be spread around the already existing community.    So that doesn't seem to go along with the big build underway.  Still, I am wondering how they had planned to "sprinkle" little markets around and about the existing regions unless they took an abandoned house out of the mix and replaced it with the mini-markets.  This since land impact is calculated so closely to the max on most regions. 

Anyway I was happy to figure out just WHERE that info came from originally.   Of course that was June and we are almost to September so things could have changed a lot along they way. Always in flux. 

• Like 4

Not precisely SSP related, but close enough. As I was looking around the map, I noticed the 2 regions just off the coast of the squishy pickle appear to be getting moved. The upper one was called As the world turns, or Days of our Lives, or something like that.. Now both of them are just <loading.....> when clicked on, which usually means a move. So I have to wonder if something eventually will be added on that side, since once they're gone it'll be a big empty spot. Or maybe they requested a move because they were unhappy with neighbors! I dunno, I'm bored.

region move.png

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Morena Tully said:

Not precisely SSP related, but close enough. As I was looking around the map, I noticed the 2 regions just off the coast of the squishy pickle appear to be getting moved. The upper one was called As the world turns, or Days of our Lives, or something like that.. Now both of them are just <loading.....> when clicked on, which usually means a move. So I have to wonder if something eventually will be added on that side, since once they're gone it'll be a big empty spot. Or maybe they requested a move because they were unhappy with neighbors! I dunno, I'm bored.

region move.png

i wonder if there be a water channel over there 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm far more interested in the regions being named after soap operas!

Did Bo and Hope live there? Holden and Lily? Was it DooL RP or ATWT RP?? 

weddings-2015-12-1-memorable-days-of-our-lives-wedding-dresses-1201-getty-main.thumb.jpg.485bdc5f3918de83f1e5cc8c30b5fa7f.jpg

Soaps in the 80s were THE BEST. 

I remember Holden & Lily......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm far more interested in the regions being named after soap operas!

Did Bo and Hope live there? Holden and Lily? Was it DooL RP or ATWT RP?? 

weddings-2015-12-1-memorable-days-of-our-lives-wedding-dresses-1201-getty-main.thumb.jpg.485bdc5f3918de83f1e5cc8c30b5fa7f.jpg

Soaps in the 80s were THE BEST. 

I miss the 80's sometimes.  And yes even the big hair!  😁

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

i wonder if there be a water channel over there 

But there is no sensible target in that direction to connect the channel to. Just vast expanses of voids with occasional isolated regions. Satori continent is just too far to make a channel from Bellisseria to Satori. Too long extremely uninteresting sailing it would be.

I often look at the long two regions wide channel connecting Bellisseria and Jeogeot. Most of the time the channel sits there empty, nobody using it. It's boring to sail there in the empty sea. The channel was much waited and wanted feature, but why it's used so little then? My guess is that very long empty channels are not very inviting.

9 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

But there is no sensible target in that direction to connect the channel to. Just vast expanses of voids with occasional isolated regions. Satori continent is just too far to make a channel from Bellisseria to Satori. Too long extremely uninteresting sailing it would be.

I often look at the long two regions wide channel connecting Bellisseria and Jeogeot. Most of the time the channel sits there empty, nobody using it. It's boring to sail there in the empty sea. The channel was much waited and wanted feature, but why it's used so little then? My guess is that very long empty channels are not very inviting.

I am surprised by now LL haven't made a special type of water region that was pair connected, one region at each end of what would normally have to be a long boring watery expanse.  This pair would seem to be just next door to each other in every way that any two next doors region are.  The net effect would be you sail over the border and over a vast distance at the same time and you don't need to host any kind of regions for the boring part because it would cut that part out.  If you see what I mean.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

@Coby Foden @Gabriele Graves

It would be nice to see the two channel water regions have more interesting parts in them like smaller remote isles, airstrips, ships, underwater areas and I agree it's rather boring flying from continent to continent. This already works very well with the Blake Sea in Second Life. 

I think it would be cool to see more areas connected up around the continent like York Village etc. If the owners approve of this that is. 

York Village.JPG

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 3

I agree @Daniel Voyager, I am a member of Connect The Continents after all.  Having interesting connections between spaces is definitely better.  I was thinking about those places that need dozens of regions to connect and lots of existing regions moving, when in reality with the types of regions I was describing you could just connect two end points without all of that planning and problems.  You know just to get them connected at all.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I agree @Daniel Voyager, I am a member of Connect The Continents after all.  Having interesting connections between spaces is definitely better.  I was thinking about those places that need dozens of regions to connect and lots of existing regions moving, when in reality with the types of regions I was describing you could just connect two end points without all of that planning and problems.  You know just to get them connected at all.

I'm willing to bet RL dollars that there will be a new LL Homes continent placed between Bellisseria and Jeogeot (or other type continent, or expansion of sorts of Bellisseria, etc.) So it makes sense that the open-space water regions from Bellisseria to Jeogeot are plain-jane and boring, they may be plucked up for (or dropped-on with) new virtual land. My hypothesis is based on @Patch Linden stating that Bellisseria is only the beginning (and if I recall, like only 15 to 25% of the big picture) and there will likely be a lot more "themes" coming and I don;t see a lot of room on Bellisseria for them.

It would make sense to create a "fantasy" continent for fantasy-ish style theme, or maybe the other types like Tahoe-style and Asian-style... whatever, I'm thinking aloud here... don't turn your back to m... Stop, don't go away! DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE HERE. ~Harrumphes~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm willing to bet RL dollars that there will be a new LL Homes continent placed between Bellisseria and Jeogeot (or other type continent, or expansion of sorts of Bellisseria, etc.) So it makes sense that the open-space water regions from Bellisseria to Jeogeot are plain-jane and boring, they may be plucked up for (or dropped-on with) new virtual land. My hypothesis is based on @Patch Linden stating that Bellisseria is only the beginning (and if I recall, like only 15 to 25% of the big picture) and there will likely be a lot more "themes" coming and I don;t see a lot of room on Bellisseria for them.

It would make sense to create a "fantasy" continent for fantasy-ish style theme, or maybe the other types like Tahoe-style and Asian-style... whatever, I'm thinking aloud here... don't turn your back to m... Stop, don't go away! DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE HERE. ~Harrumphes~

Yes I think that makes good sense.  I wasn't referring to Bellisseria/Jeogeot when I agreed with Daniel about it being a good idea to make boring corridors more interesting but as a general rule.  Obviously if there is a plan for any current corridor to be replaced by another continent then by definition it becomes more interesting when done anyway.
The idea about the magic regions would be to connect stupidly impractical continents together so they are accessible in some way in a contiguous manner.   Sort of a wormhole over vast distances where there may actually be no possible way to make any other kind of route.  I was in no way suggesting that should be used for the Bellisseria/Jeogeot connection.

I am absolutely certain different themes are part of the plan, I do hope they try some *new* themes as well though.  Only repeating the same themes in the original homes would be boring in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Yes I think that makes good sense.  I wasn't referring to Bellisseria/Jeogeot when I agreed with Daniel about it being a good idea to make boring corridors more interesting but as a general rule.  Obviously if there is a plan for any current corridor to be replaced by another continent then by definition it becomes more interesting when done anyway.
The idea about the magic regions would be to connect stupidly impractical continents together so they are accessible in some way in a contiguous manner.   Sort of a wormhole over vast distances where there may actually be no possible way to make any other kind of route.  I was in no way suggesting that should be used for the Bellisseria/Jeogeot connection.

I am absolutely certain different themes are part of the plan, I do hope they try some *new* themes as well though.  Only repeating the same themes in the original homes would be boring in my opinion.

Themes: is why I say "fantasy-ish" and "Tahoe-ish" - people like log cabin or out in the back country rural styles and there is surely a group that would go for fantasy-ish, though if they do the asian style I would hope they have a variety of more than just Japanese traditionals. :) But new styles and no more A-Frames. LOL

I think I got it with the "magic" region - as though each edge was like a teleporter that would send you to the incoming edge of where you wanted to go. (The Bibian Trains creator make a teleporter like this for trains, though it only works within the same region.) And I have to say, that is an amazing idea that has never crossed my mind. Undoable technical-wise, but a fascinating idea.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

Yes, you definitely got the idea with the magic regions.  I am pretty sure it wouldn't even be that hard to do, certainly not undo-able.

The server software today takes two adjacent regions and somehow tells the viewer that they are joined and are crossable today at a border even though they don't have to be on the same servers, clusters or whatever, there is necessarily nothing "close" about them in principle - it just seems like it because there are shown together on the map.  A "magic" region pair would be exactly the same except as an adjacent pair except that on the map they are at different places.  The only "magic" part is that a region's map co-ordinates and whether it is adjacent to another region would be two different concepts and the server software would just have to know somehow that paired regions are in fact adjacent even though their map co-ordinates would suggest otherwise.  I don't know how the server software currently knows how two regions are adjacent but there are at least a two possibilities.  One way is that they touch along one side on the map then they are treated as adjacent, a simple approach.  Another way could be that when regions are are placed on the map there has to be an additional configuration setup somewhere as part of that which has to describe which sides of one region connect to what sides of another and that there is no implied concept of being adjacent just because they touch on the map.  This information would have to be sent to the viewer instead of the viewer just using map co-ordinates but for all I know could be how it is done currently anyway.

It takes a little mind-bending to get your head around it but you would even be able to see what is in the "distant" region just like we can with today's adjacent regions.  In fact it wouldn't even seem like teleportation, just a regular region crossing, except you suddenly end up at the other side of the map.   After all the viewer is told to draw from different regions somehow and so has to know which ones to draw from.

Anyway, that is how I conceive of it working and if I can conceive of a way then better minds than mine could probably make it work and it would be cool in my opinion.

• Like 2