SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

9 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Even with the max draw distance we still can't see anything nearby. Shame really. 

I'm wondering what the lab plans to do down south over at the original SSP regions. They remain empty or are they ?  

Presumably they will be filled with some of the other "many new styles" of abodes over time (within the year it sounded like as that is when the 512s are slated to go away (a more or less timeline from Patch) . Inara's blog suggest that we may see more styles of houses at the birthday bash this June. We already can see (MAYBE) where the "trailers" and park settings may go up North. It seems logical that they will continue having SSP as a planning and staging area for the actual continent so we can once again watch and guess what we will see when all is revealed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Presumably they will be filled with some of the other "many new styles" of abodes over time (within the year it sounded like as that is when the 512s are slated to go away (a more or less timeline from Patch) . Inara's blog suggest that we may see more styles of houses at the birthday bash this June. We already can see (MAYBE) where the "trailers" and park settings may go up North. It seems logical that they will continue having SSP as a planning and staging area for the actual continent so we can once again watch and guess what we will see when all is revealed. 

I may be misremembering or misinterpreting, though the old LL Homes regions will be sunk eventually, I could swear that Patch (possibly another Linden, but I think it was @Patch Linden) mentioned something about a choice of 1024 m2 and also 512 m2 on the new continent. This may also throw a hint at potential Premium Subscription tiers: (and I've always hypothesized there will be at least one tier less expensive than the current, and perhaps a third that costs more).

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

More sailing space on the west edge will be needed. Once SSP goes live, Luca will probably try to sail her big square-rigged warship through there, the one in her video of the new water route to SSP. It will be a very tight fit. That will be the main sea lane from Sansara to Jeoghot.tightfit01.thumb.png.54a6fb00e5594e0aa7abbf732b2a0003.png

Small craft only. Nothing wider than an SSP houseboat will fit.

5 hours ago, animats said:

More sailing space on the west edge will be needed. Once SSP goes live, Luca will probably try to sail her big square-rigged warship through there, the one in her video of the new water route to SSP. It will be a very tight fit. That will be the main sea lane from Sansara to Jeoghot.tightfit01.thumb.png.54a6fb00e5594e0aa7abbf732b2a0003.png

I have been thinking about that too. I wonder why they build so close to the edge of the world, in this new showcase. Is it only because the land cost them money, even if they add on open water? (server space) Or they aren't interested in sailing, so they don't think about it before people start asking about it?

12 hours ago, animats said:

I'm wondering if there aren't plans already for adding water regions around these narrow areas. They certainly have left enough room to do so. We know they are going to add back the regions at the top that have been removed and the two at the bottom to connect the channel leading to Jeogeot. They have left one full region of empty space around the continent so that we can't have physical or visual access to it until they are ready.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 3:24 PM, Chic Aeon said:

While it has been very quiet over at SSP as well as the soon to be unveiled new homes, I spotted some new layout prims in the "trailer park" today.   So some energetic mole is still busily working on things to come this summer (maybe :D).  Since the green dots have been fairly absent (at least when I have looked) I am guessing that the current work is done and we are waiting either for "timing" or the web interface to be complete. 

image.png.cfac1a2ecf9f67ec47ffa4f4c356bd47.png

Today (13 April 2019) I noticed this:
When you zoom out three steps away from the closest zoom level then one more layout prim shows in SSP84 region.

2019-04-13_SSP84.jpg.957e7806ad5562af0e83348ceef8788e.jpg

• Like 1

• Moles
16 hours ago, animats said:

This is an actual screenshot from the narrowest point of the passage in question. 

1171457288_SSPNarrowestpassage.thumb.jpg.4391d7c114e47f0c9e63e16c73bfebe5.jpg

Any captain who can hold a straight line and ride the edge of the region with the centerpoint of the ship should be able to navigate through the passage in a ship with a beam as great as 40m (which is about the width of 3 houseboats).

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Any captain who can hold a straight line and ride the edge of the region with the centerpoint of the ship should be able to navigate through the passage in a ship with a beam as great as 40m (which is about the width of 3 houseboats).

But this is SL ... Many a resident has come a cropper, dashed on the virtual rocks while screaming "oh god! I'm drifting off sideways!", only to find reality snaps back and they are stuck floating on the edge of a magical invisible barrier, often in an entirely different location. Shortly (*5 seconds) to be followed a local ban hammer sending them home and an 800 word forum post about how they're actually some kind of vehicular-commie-terrorist, bent on destroying a peaceful and virtuous life by parking in someones house.

I see your 40 meters Sir Mole, and while I have never piloted any watery vessel in SL, I say challenge accepted but on your head be the consequences! 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

This is an actual screenshot from the narrowest point of the passage in question. 

OK. The passage is only 20m wide. 40m is with half the ship hanging off the edge of the world. Does that work if there's an avatar in the off-world section? What happens if they stand?

10 minutes ago, animats said:

OK. The passage is only 20m wide. 40m is with half the ship hanging off the edge of the world. Does that work if there's an avatar in the off-world section? What happens if they stand?

It should, just as you can sit on an off-region object, as long as the object has its root in the region.  Try it and see.

3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

1171457288_SSPNarrowestpassage.thumb.jpg.4391d7c114e47f0c9e63e16c73bfebe5.jpg

No problemo... so long as the winds are favorable. Because having to change the wind angle feels like a big cheat. And many of the more popular sailboats have wind coming from due-North. :P

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

No problemo... so long as the winds are favorable. Because having to change the wind angle feels like a big cheat. And many of the more popular sailboats have wind coming from due-North. :P

I know less than zero about sailing, but my sister's husband used to own a sailboat and it had a motor in in for those emergency times when they were becalmed far from shore (or, I suppose, when they were forced to navigate in a tight little marina).  Is that "cheating"? 

Actually, I don't think this is a problem that the average sailor in an average sailboat is going to have in a 32m wide channel.  It sounds like a concern for the Queen Mary or the USS Enterprise, which don't have to worry much about wind direction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I know less than zero about sailing, but my sister's husband used to own a sailboat and it had a motor in in for those emergency times when they were becalmed far from shore (or, I suppose, when they were forced to navigate in a tight little marina).  Is that "cheating"? 

Actually, I don't think this is a problem that the average sailor in an average sailboat is going to have in a 32m wide channel.  It sounds like a concern for the Queen Mary or the USS Enterprise, which don't have to worry much about wind direction.

No, that's not cheating (that's exactly what a motor is for LOL) - but not all sailboats (in SL) have a motor. I know in RL they have to have at least an outboard - but many in SL can't even add one. But it IS SL and you can change the wind direction with a command - but *that* feels like cheating (I didn't say it is, just that it feels like it). :D

When tacking (zig-zagging to go against the wind) the amount of room required depends a lot on the boat itself. Otherwise, you lose too much speed too quickly and flounder. The specific boat I have in mind (which is my personal favorite) is the Bandit Pea/SweetPea.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

change the wind direction with a command - but *that* feels like cheating (I didn't say it is, just that it feels like it).

I suppose when I edit my boat and use the arrows to move it forward that would be cheating?????? lmao ... hey I can rez a boat just fine .. don't ask me to actually sail it!!! :P 

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

I suppose when I edit my boat and use the arrows to move it forward that would be cheating?????? lmao ... hey I can rez a boat just fine .. don't ask me to actually sail it!!! :P 

SHUSH! That is BIG time cheating and I do it, too. :P LOL Though, in truth, 40 meters should be plenty, even for the SweetPea. 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Hehe .... I told you that I know beans about sailing.  That's what I would do too.  😊

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Half way through April already and still no launch. 

My prediction is the launch of the new Linden Homes continent will launch sometime within the next few weeks. 

My own prediction is November at the earliest; It's not exactly something that can be slapped together with flex tape and super glue.

• Like 1