SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

It looks like waterways are going in between Jeogeot and Sansara.

@Patch are you going to be adding water sims around Jeogeot and Sansara to allow water access to their main sailing areas? because South Sansara water is cut off from the North and I believe Pyri fair is cut off from the Jeogeot inland sea too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

As you can see from my everyday operating settings, there is quite a difference in performance I can measurably see.  

And the bottom one is from the SSP region?   That's my assumption LOL from the current topic on the thread, but you know about assumptions. 

THANK YOU.   

You can, I am sure, understand why folks are a little worried about frame rates :D.  But in general the soon to be additions to the grid seem to be a big hit.  Congrats to all. 

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

Ok, here is the demo region at the expo:

0bbb053514fd69aed621f64d59efcf2f.jpg

Here is the same region as best I could line up camera angle, etc.

ff3e69b285eccb0af2c68f9a9f7e1d86.jpg

As you can see from my everyday operating settings, there is quite a difference in performance I can measurably see.  

You didn't specifically say, but I'm guessing the second shot is on the actual SSP region?

So something very different at the expo - maybe sim version or such?  Is your location such that the 128 draw distance is only rendering Linden Home stuff and not creeping into other expo stuff?  

18 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

@Patch are you going to be adding water sims around Jeogeot and Sansara to allow water access to their main sailing areas? because South Sansara water is cut off from the North and I believe Pyri fair is cut off from the Jeogeot inland sea too.

That seems to be the prevailing rumor, but if it was announced officially, please let us know where so that we can all feel the KNOWLEDGE!   As of two days ago it was reportedly still just a "best guess".  

Thanks. 

AHH. A quick look on the map supports our assumptions.

image.thumb.png.7f23a92a86aa58b797289a34d7b96e6f.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Look on the map at Pyri peaks there are about 50 new water sims in leading north two abreast

Yep I went to look and found them.  I can't see as many as you for some reason but posted the ones I could see in the comment above this :D. Thanks.

Eventually saw the "shadows" of the sims on the map.   My map has never worked all that well. Not sure why. 

And here is the other end visually: 

image.thumb.png.1dcd007be5839279fa171e657de85cb9.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yep I went to look and found them.  I can't see as many as you for some reason but posted the ones I could see in the comment above this :D. Thanks.

those are the furthest North ones I can see, I can see a chain south and bending a few sims East leading to Pyri Peaks. about 25 two abreast is about 50. I was giving a rough figure hard to count them without distinguishing features to indicate sim borders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is worse than a kid trying to go to sleep Christmas Eve knowing there's a huge gift under the tree but can't open it until the morning. Seriously, folks it's too exciting! I need a drink!

Coming to you from Salt Breeze :D 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Judging by how close to Sansara the new water sims go and that some sims in that area must have been moved as they don't show up properly on map there one minute gone when scrolling up/down the map a little can only assume that's where SSP is going, otherwise with no islands, atolls or points of interest yet i can't see the point of the new sims 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

It's going to be fairly trivial for one person to totally consume all their neighbors vram just by rezzing regular furniture and decorative gacha tat.

I keep thinking back to that gatcha cigarette, and matches thing in a real old thread when we first got the wonderful mesh LOD stuff in FS, that thread where the matches each had their own individual texture.

This is the trouble with gatcha stuff, by and large, it's often incredibly unoptimised junk, and ideal to make your neighbors scream.

Times like this one wishes the viewer had a robust occlusion system.

• Like 2

I keep going back to the preview sim and looking

I really hope we get some other styles of houses, because this is not a style I would choose.  The neighborhood has a nice feel to it, it's very pretty, but the houses themselves just don't do it for me. They look lovely from the street, but the layout inside is just useless. I may end up staying put in my Quad with my kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom till they turn the light out on me.

I tried to not hate it. But so far... I hate it.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

@Patch Linden I think there would be much interest for this by sailors... it would only take a handful of openspace sims to make it sailable...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Ok, here is the demo region at the expo:

Yes and we can only judge by the demo of course.

But the question then is, what causes the difference? It's very unlikely the expo in itself can cause it because you get that heavy lag even in the middle of the demo with draw distance low enough to cut off most of the other sims around it. I can think of two possible explanations but mayeb it's better to leave you to figure it out on your won.

Edit: I stll hope you do a realistic load test before you finish the work. Not just with empty houses and sensible low lag avatars but with the kind of cotnent and avis people are likely to use there. If the sims perform adequately under such conditions, there's no need to panic. Those houses are still very inefficient and unnecessarily render heavy but if they don't actually overload a viewer, there's no urgent need to fix anything.

Edited by ChinRey

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

@Patch Linden I think there would be much interest for this by sailors... it would only take a handful of openspace sims to make it sailable...

Hoping that's the case, the location of Guadalcanal only allows for port access on our main sim. if the waterway runs to subak along side us we would be able to make use of both sims for ports which would be somewhere between ideal. and the greatest thing anyone has ever done for us! fingers crossed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe Sparrow said:

Hoping that's the case, the location of Guadalcanal only allows for port access on our main sim. if the waterway runs to subak along side us we would be able to make use of both sims for ports which would be somewhere between ideal. and the greatest thing anyone has ever done for us! fingers crossed

The channel is hitting the top of the continent and stopping there. The question then becomes will the lab add water around the edge down to the main internal ocean and Tulagi.

Counting, it would need 19 extra regions to join Tulagi up to the channel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shudo said:

The channel is hitting the top of the continent and stopping there. The question then becomes will the lab add water around the edge down to the main internal ocean and Tulagi.

Those will be restricted to Premium members, of course.

JUST KIDDING! LOL

Though I don't sail around as much as I used to, I have often sailed most of the continents to explore and always hated it when I ran out of water (edge of a region into a void or prim-blocked unnecessarily by someones seriously-ugly build, etc. So, *anything* Linden lab does to expand on the "availability" of SL, especially between and through the continents, is an awesome thing. Because Blake Sea is boring now - I think I know every shoal and rogue Mole Shark there is by now.

• Like 1

• Administrators
20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You didn't specifically say, but I'm guessing the second shot is on the actual SSP region?

So something very different at the expo - maybe sim version or such?  Is your location such that the 128 draw distance is only rendering Linden Home stuff and not creeping into other expo stuff?  

Yes, the second screen shot is that actual region in SSP (hence the different house colors), but same street, region, etc.  The demo region is a copy of the original SSP197.

Even though my draw distance is only 128m, you still have the impacts of the attached regions that surround the demo region.  Draw distance doesn't just hard stop everything out of your view.  The simulator REGION you are standing in is still working to process the neighboring content, avatars, etc. to some level, and that is still going to impact you standing there in various ways.  We did also test how the demo region was performing with our viewers when the demo region was nothing but a blank green slab of empty terrain prior to copying SSP197 to the expo.   We had the similar FPS reductions on our viewers, and there was nothing in our region to render.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes and we can only judge by the demo of course.

But the question then is, what causes the difference? It's very unlikely the expo in itself can cause it because you get that heavy lag even in the middle of the demo with draw distance low enough to cut off most of the other sims around it. I can think of two possible explanations but mayeb it's better to leave you to figure it out on your won.

Edit: I stll hope you do a realistic load test before you finish the work. Not just with empty houses and sensible low lag avatars but with the kind of cotnent and avis people are likely to use there. If the sims perform adequately under such conditions, there's no need to panic. Those houses are still very inefficient and unnecessarily render heavy but if they don't actually overload a viewer, there's no urgent need to fix anything.

Patch was nice enough to tp me to one of the regions in SSP. Here's my FPS in the actual region. You can see quite a difference. I had to unthrottle my fps to see just how much higher than 30 it would get. I'd never need as much fps as I'm getting now. Remember I was getting 23.5 in the demo region. That's 39.7 in the upper right hand corner if you're having trouble reading it. 

492112403_fpsinSSP.thumb.jpg.06bdee075aa706a018b33ffa217688c7.jpg

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Shudo said:

I keep thinking back to that gatcha cigarette, and matches thing in a real old thread when we first got the wonderful mesh LOD stuff in FS, that thread where the matches each had their own individual texture.

This is the trouble with gatcha stuff, by and large, it's often incredibly unoptimised junk, and ideal to make your neighbors scream.

Times like this one wishes the viewer had a robust occlusion system.

Unfortunately the heavy mesh issue is getting worse instead of better (by and large, not everyone of course) and not just for gachas. Several well-known and popular brands have gone over to the heavy mesh dark side during this last year. I shake my head and cry when I look at the triangle and texture numbers. 

Since I came across (wasn't even looking) an item recently released by three brands all within days (with additions to the item so that it didn't look EXACTLY the same) I can only guess that a lot of "top" creators have moved over to the buy the mesh and resell camp. Also very depressing for me.  

They COULD of course optimize that purchased mesh, but the ones I found were NOT doing that. 

And I think I still have that bit of cigarette mesh (also oversized which isn't great). It is NOT out on display for obvious reasons, but ya never know when you might need it LOL.  

At least SOME folks are more aware of the issues these days. That's a plus. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

The simulator you are standing in i

Wait... WHAT IS A SIMULATOR?

Bahahaha. I couldn't resist. Since you Lindens have been retraining us what a REGION is. :P

(And yes: I know the Simulator is the software that creates the Regions, so there, nanner, nanner!)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Shudo said:

if they patch some holes along the coast it could open up a lot of coastal land for future air/sea ports and get the labs more land sales in the area too

• Like 1

@Patch Linden Been lurking and keeping an eye on this. As the owner of Tulagi and Guadalcanal I'd be willing to make some adjustments if you wanted to make space for a connection to the northern portion of the Jeogeot Gulf. I know our community of sailors and pilots here would love the opportunity to take long cruises to the other continents.

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Wait... WHAT IS A SIMULATOR?

Bahahaha. I couldn't resist. Since you Lindens have been retraining us what a REGION is. :P

(And yes: I know the Simulator is the software that creates the Regions, so there, nanner, nanner!)

RAWR!   Fixed :D

• Like 1