SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

• Moles
11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm glad there will be other themes. While I can see they did a good job building the suburbs, I was starting to feel a bit oppressed -- I was imagining June & Ward Cleaver with the Beav trailing behind, emerging from one of the houses :(   lol

I love themes, and indeed the area is prettier than many areas in SL, so was surprised it could feel oppressive to me...must be mainly my general distaste of the socially conforming 50's and all that went with that.

While it does have the mid 20th century America suburban feel (yes, that's what we were going for) the community forms the social aspect of any society. This being SL those foreboding feelings of oppression should vanish as soon as Jon and Ward Cleaver across the street wave to their bi-racial furry daughter as she leaves to go off to welding class and no one thinks anything of it. ;) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 3/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, Blush Bravin said:

I hadn't even thought about an annex or attaching a structure to the house .. but now that you all have me thinking. I could do this as well and if the structure can't be attached directly then connecting with a small breezeway would be nice. I can imagine adding this structure and making a really nice kitchen with a ton of windows for this house.

wannex_001.thumb.png.963eb4a8de9db4e4132412bca96c4bb7.png

I thought of doing something similar too; like a conservatory or sun-room, something like this (using the supplied textures of course):

conservatory.png.e59781fb1da4acb63f4ee562e1f4b4c4.png

I think it could be built right up to the house without counting as a "modification"; you're just building an additional structure, not changing anything about the existing house, and it would be well within the height limit as specified in the covenant.

• Like 3

• Lindens
On 3/17/2019 at 3:25 PM, Fionalein said:

That's what I took it for too, but @Keira Linden saw that different.

And what I read into the new rules considering that additional info on interpretation is that you are allowed to add a shed unconnected to the house, but no annex...

@Patch Linden can we have some clarification on that please?

Hey Fionalein!

So, my response which was quoted above was in reference to the old Linden Homes.  On the old regions, additions were considered a modification of the home and were not allowed.  The new Linden Homes have their own Covenant with some liberties which were not allowed on the old homes.  I'm sure Patch will be around shortly to comment on the topic of additions such as porches, sun rooms, etc on the new regions.  I haven't worked on the Covenant on the new regions, so I am absolutely going to defer to Patch on this one.   😉

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
On 3/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The covenant for the old homes does have the line 'Linden Homes may not be removed, modified, exchanged, set or deeded to group, or transferred', but says nothing about outside structures at all.  

In the new covenant, since it does mention outside structures, I take the "may not be modified' part to mean that the house itself is 'no mod'.

Paging @Patch Linden -- With the new covenant and the statement about outside structures, could an enclosed patio be adding onto the house if it uses the proper textures and stays in theme?

Yes, in fact this is the sort of modification we'd hope for.  The houses were designed to permit this sort of addition of space with the usable parcel area we left.  I saw a comment about the sizes of the homes, but this was part of our thinking.  We wanted to create a model of flexibility and I think the convenant bears that out by example.  We will be much more active in the enforcement of the new Linden Homes continent.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

Just now, Patch Linden said:

Yes, in fact this is the sort of modification we'd hope for.  The houses were designed to permit this sort of addition of space with the usable parcel area we left.  I saw a comment about the sizes of the homes, but this was part of our thinking.  We wanted to create a model of flexibility and I think the convenant bears that out by example.  We will be much more active in the enforcement of the new Linden Homes continent.  

Thank you so much for responding .. this is awesome news! Can't wait to move. *goes back to packing*

12 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

So I am allowed to try getting rich selling modkits for housies? HURRAY! =^.^=

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

https://www.guggenheim.org/blogs/lablog/suburban-pilgrimage-learning-to-like-levittown

• Administrators
On 3/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, Blush Bravin said:

One thing I've noticed about the houseboats and houses is the door handles. 

The house door handles fit me pretty well -

[PIC]

but the houseboat door knob is rather high on my avatar - 

[PIC]

My avatar is 1.94 meters tall, so I'm not really short but I'm not tall by any means. Regardless I'm probably going to end up in a houseboat first because I love all the big windows and the water. 

Door handles are such a hot topic of discussion, that most of the team decided to put things in perspective...

d65a286d41aba840a00376e5cbde9939.jpg

We are quite a diverse group of avatars!  What fits some of us, doesn't fit the rest.  We try to choose the middle when scaling things to accommodate everything from large to tiny.  In this case, we may have been a bit off on height and handle scale, so we'll be sure to include step stools for the smaller avatars in our content packs!

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Awesome, thank you. But also how about some parcels with wider entrances onto the road, allowing for vehicles/garages? All those lovely roads but as things stand, we won't be able to drive on them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Awesome, thank you. But also how about some parcels with wider entrances onto the road, allowing for vehicles/garages? All those lovely roads but as things stand, we won't be able to drive on them.

i tried fitting a wearable car - would fit most of the time - if there were not the steps in most houses...

On 3/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, Fionalein said:

As it is most likely connected to the jeogeot gulf, you can expect expect atomic submarines armed WWII seaplanes and whatnot moored your neighbour's houseboat pier...

And expect banlines everywhere so folks can have snu snu in their Linden home beds,...

Probably, but whilst Sansara to Jeogeot is a reasonable fit, it would have to include quite a few more sims to complete the linkage to the other continents, as to my eye it only bridges about 2/3rds of the gap between them. Furthermore, for the warships to travel up from their bases to the top of Jeogeot they would have to navigate some sims without protected waterways unless more were added around Jeogeot too. Sansara to Jeogeot... feels plausible but the linkage doesn't really add much value as both areas being linked are pretty much dead ends. I just can't see them adding in all the sims to link up Sea of Fables with the Jeogeot Sea, too many sims to add and without doing that why make the linkage at all.

A better fit would perhaps be to link Gaeta I up with Corsica and or Gaeta V. Less sims required for that and with just a few more sims, like one South of Genrin, it would link it even further south all the way to the Blake Sea and beyond. But whilst that would be a linkage to better waterways greatly expanding options and function for the continent, it is a linkage to a continent they never finished and always looked like they had forgotten about and regretted starting.

I doubt they will come back and finish Gaeta I after 10 years, or even just link to it, but it would be the less work, less sims and a better option than linking Sansara to Jeogeot.

Edited by Aethelwine

• Moles
1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Oh you can definitely drive on them. You can't park on them of course, but you can drive on them. Keep in mind you've only seen a tiny sampling of one region. I don't remember anyone saying all the regions will look exactly the same.  😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Oh you can definitely drive on them. You can't park on them of course, but you can drive on them. Keep in mind you've only seen a tiny sampling of one region. I don't remember anyone saying all the regions will look exactly the same.  😉

But presumably we can only rez the car on our own parcel; how do we then get it out of the parcel and onto the road? It doesn't seem like they would fit through the gate.

But presumably we can only rez the car on our own parcel; how do we then get it out of the parcel and onto the road? It doesn't seem like they would fit through the gate.

That gave me a laugh (thank you) :D.

You rez the car (or bike or motorcycle or scooter etc) on you property and then use the BUILD menu to move it onto the road. Presumably the roads are for everyone to use (this from Abnor Mole).  I have done that several times. There will likely (just guessing) be places where you can rez your car out ON the road (as in many parts of the mainland). And I also suspect (just guessing again) that there will be a place where you can rez your boat if you don't have a boat slip (agian, many of these on the mainland; my shop bordered one for a couple of years before I moved).  

Not exactly "immersive" but it works. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

Because I like to test things. I made a prim the size of a normal SL car and then I "drove" it through one of the openings in the fence. It fits!

car_001.thumb.png.4536b5c04ad44170d011e7fc3da65785.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 9

We may hear more about the new Linden Homes and SSP during the upcoming VWBPE 2019 conference next month...

Linden Lab – Above the Book
Patch Linden (Senior Director, Product Operations) and Grumpity Linden (Senior Director, Product) will be going live at 2pm SLT on 4th April 2019 at the VWBPE Main Auditorium talking about what’s new at Linden Lab.

Should be very interesting to hear more.

On 3/16/2019 at 4:03 PM, Shudo said:

I wonder if FPS could be raised a little if some of the alphas on the trees are masked off?

That would help of course but the main reason the demo sim is so laggy is that it's full of render heavy objects.

Here are some stats for a house:

1011126342_Skjermbilde(2070).png.ee14cd05e6c6a67e4e3ffd49badab93a.png

About 80,000 Display weight and a quarter of a gigabyte of VRAM, that's seriously heavy for a medium sized house. It's the kind of figures you should expect from a mansion located all alone on a 4096 m2 or bigger parcel. Here those houses are crammed close to each other so it adds up fast. 15 such houses are pushing the limits even for an average game computer  and that is before we take into account the other items (and avatars) in the area. As it is now, this is only for people with high end game computers.

On top of that, somebody on The Other Forum That Must Not Be Named thought he found serious LoD issues for some details. It may  have been a render failure - I didn't see it myself and it's not a mistake the Moles usually make - but if it isn't, we're talking about an environment for LoD factor 4 here.

Edited by ChinRey
Typos
  • Thanks 2