SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

You optimist ... I imagine most calling it the final straw and unsubscribing ...

I know a ton of folks that CAN'T wait for the homes to be open --- and who are not on the forums. So I think you are wrong there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Yeah, I've heard all this before, I think from you in fact. But I don't think it's a good argument for leaving the old Linden Homes standing. If people don't notice others leaving or don't pay attention to messages from the Lab in regards to changes coming then let them loose their homes.

Time will tell.

But there is one thing I forgot to mention that makes me even more sure I'm right. Premium members who are active "home makers" can already get something as good as or better than an SSP house. All they have to do, is shell out a month's worth of stipend on a mainland parcel. If they haven't done that already, why would they suddenly want to now?

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I know a ton of folks that CAN'T wait for the homes to be open --- and who are not on the forums. So I think you are wrong there. 

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't people interested in the SSP homes. But to expect the vast majority of current Linden Home owners to pull up their SL roots and move, that's not realistic.

Edited by ChinRey

39 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

All they have to do, is shell out a month's worth of stipend on a mainland parcel.

When was the last time you tried to buy a decent mainland parcel? 1200 for a 1024sqm... what you smokin? :P 

Even if they are grandfathered in at the 500 a week .. you can't get anything halfway decent for 2k.

Edited by Blush Bravin

54 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't people interested in the SSP homes. But to expect the vast majority of current Linden Home owners to pull up their SL roots and move, that's not realistic.

Actually as mentioned on this thread today (not by me) and by my tour of Meadowbrook (the most popular 512 home area) there aren't many folks actually there.  I didn't find one house with furniture when looking around.  Lots more people tonight than this morning. Maybe a weekend thing. 

Edit: According to Patch after a time folks will need to vacate the current homes. They can go to the new ones or I guess get their own mainland.  

image.png.9410c3c2abe6c22335ce6844db9bdd38.png

Edited by Chic Aeon

29 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

When was the last time you tried to buy a decent mainland parcel? 1200 for a 1024sqm... what you smokin? :P 

Even if they are grandfathered in at the 500 a week .. you can't get anything halfway decent for 2k.

I typically get some excellent mainland parcels for about $1L by buying abandoned land. It's pretty easy to do with a little patience. No need to have land bordering the parcel and so on like many people believe. That information is years outdated at this point.

To me that's the big problem with these or any Linden homes. Why take one of those when land is so cheap? I suppose it avoids a lot of time and effort involved in setup. So there is a convenience factor for sure.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

LOL. Actually I am a GREAT shopper and I have a track record of finding the best deals. My current shop was $4,000 for a 4096.   Top of a hill with few neighbors. 

But I do concur that the new homes are a great value. Most folks don't want to shop that hard OR may not have such good "land karma" as my RL friend calls it. I make it a game and enjoy the journey.  . Generally though I have found some great deals including protected waterfront that I bought for $5000 and sold for $20000 (a 512).    And if folks just want a skybox they can get land very very cheap. It all depends on what people are looking for. 

I will admit that I have a nasty neighbor now and have had to make a fake sky to block them out (floating in the air way above land but RIGHT in my view -shame on them).

That is an advantage (hopefully) to the new area. No doubt LESS of the ugly stuff.  

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Actually as mentioned on this thread today (not by me) and by my tour of Meadowbrook (the most popular 512 home area) there aren't many folks actually there.  I didn't find one house with furniture when looking around.  Lots more people tonight than this morning. Maybe a weekend thing.

Probably. Usually you'd expect to find fewer people there. But if you check parcel details, you'll see that most of the houses are owned by somebody and most of them show up with zero traffic count.

This is not really up for discussion. What happens, happens and nothing we can say or do is going to make any difference.

I'm not going to bother myself but if somebody wants to keep track of the emmigration rate, it's fairly simple. Pick a few random Linden Home sims and count how many of the parcels have an owner. Check again after SSP is launched and again every month or two for a while.

Edit: According to Patch after a time folks will need to vacate the current homes. They can go to the new ones or I guess get their own mainland.

Or they can leave SL.

Edited by ChinRey

2 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

I typically get some excellent mainland parcels for about $1L by buying abandoned land. It's pretty easy to do with a little patience. No need to have land bordering the parcel and so on like many people believe. That information is years outdated at this point.

To me that's the big problem with these or any Linden homes. Why take one of those when land is so cheap? I suppose it avoids a lot of time and effort involved in setup. So there is a convenience factor for sure.

Lucky you. All my requests get denied or sent to auction.

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Funny, I know a lot of people who never heared about them until I told them,... 

Edited by Fionalein

9 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

Oh I know you can get abandoned land cheaply, but if that abandoned land is sailable waterfront land it will go to auction not set for sale to you. Since that's what you can get with the new Linden Homes I think you need to keep that in mind. I'm not saying it's not possible to find a good deal of waterfront but they are few and far between and never for less than 10L pqm. And to find one at that price will take a lot of searching over a good period of time.

Also, if you find land in a nice residential setting with tree lined avenues and spacious yards you're not going to get one like that for cheap either. So lets look at what's being offered with the new Linden Homes and compare property of similar quality when determining a price value.

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I will admit that I have a nasty neighbor now and have had to make a fake sky to block them out (floating in the air way above land but RIGHT in my view -shame on them).

That is an advantage (hopefully) to the new area. No doubt LESS of the ugly stuff.  

While it's true you can still end up with a nasty neighbor in any Linden Home you have far more avenues for recourse living there than on any regular mainland parcel. The rules for Linden Homes keep the area looking pretty good for the most part. It certainly looks better than nearly any other part of mainland. I do like my home regions, Barcola, but you pay a ton of money to buy that kind of land.

• Like 1

I know we found out WHERE the continent is going but I didn't pay attention as I didn't care and I can't find that post now. Can someone refresh my memory. A friend wan'ts to know. Thanks. 

Think I remember Jeogeot?       I see lots of empty water out there :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon

11 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Well... I brought a 1024 parcel last year for 1024L. It was abandoned land and part of a bigger chunk, so I had to wait a couple of days, before a Linden showed up an cut my desired piece off. I have very few neighbours and face a protected water sim. The only thing that would be more perfect would be, if the water of the ocean was exactly at the border, so I could build a little harbor...but you can't have everything I guess. 😂

5 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Well... I brought a 1024 parcel last year for 1024L. It was abandoned land and part of a bigger chunk, so I had to wait a couple of days, before a Linden showed up an cut my desired piece off. I have very few neighbours and face a protected water sim. The only thing that would be more perfect would be, if the water of the ocean was exactly at the border, so I could build a little harbor...but you can't have everything I guess. 😂

There are always exceptions to the rule. Yes, you can get abandoned land for cheap. But like I said before, getting waterfront sailable water cheaply is few and far between. Also, keep in mind that during the long period of time when auctions weren't working and after the premium tier allotment jumped from 512 to 1024 it was much easier to put in a ticket and get abandoned land, but now that auctions are working again and with SSP weeks from being opened up, I'll bet getting abandoned land won't be nearly as easy as it has been getting the past few months.

But there has been a marketed increase in people buying mainland properties since the allotment jumped. A lot of people began abandoned their Linden homes in favor of using their full allotment rather than letting the extra 512 go unused. The whole thing came up because it was mentioned that people won't want to move to the new LL homes for whatever reason and saying that people aren't moving because they want to stay on the 512s. You just prove the point that people do want to use their full allotment rather than wasting it.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I know we found out WHERE the continent is going but I didn't pay attention as I didn't care and I can't find that post now. Can someone refresh my memory. A friend wan'ts to know. Thanks. 

Between Jeogeot and Sansara ... I can't remember who posted that though. But it does make perfect sense.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Lucky you. All my requests get denied or sent to auction.

That's because you are a known real estate person.  The process of selling abandoned land to folks cheaply just by asking is mostly to encourage Premium membership and encourage Mainland ownership, not to sell off land to be flipped for a profit.

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I don't think we actually know for sure.  Patch said that it will bridge 2 continents, but didn't say where.  Here is the post that speculates where it will go - seems logically valid:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/426577-ssp/?do=findComment&comment=1870305

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

There are always exceptions to the rule.

I know, I got a "cherry on top"-parcel and that not everyone can find a parcel like this. But most empty land on mainland is at least decent enough to ditch the Linden Homes. I'm one of the people that went Premium after the increased allowance. 512 always felt like nothing.

On another note: I just checked out the houseboats (I love their look and one of the models looked like you could easily seperate a piece for designing a bathroom). But sadly have to join what some already posted about: Those houses are made for giants. And I could live with that...if I wouldn't know that it would also make all my furniture look like toys. 😞

When I initially looked at the map and the size of the SSP area and then the size of space between continents, it seems like the SSP size fits better between Heterocera and Sansara.  Not to mention that there is actually open space between those two continents to drop something in.  Whereas between Sansara and Jeogeot, there seems to be lots of island to be moved.  

image.thumb.png.6835a2fe55aee34cce2dc9b92cc11060.png

Then again, after looking at then entire SSP size, at the same scale as the other continents and space between them, SSP seems too large for between Heterocera and Sansara. It does seem to mostly fit to bridge Sansara and Jeogeot.  Here is SSP without me changing the scale on the map:

image.png.43acae5481638bfa779f80cc16a9868d.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

5 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I know, I got a "cherry on top"-parcel and that not everyone can find a parcel like this. But most empty land on mainland is at least decent enough to ditch the Linden Homes. I'm one of the people that went Premium after the increased allowance. 512 always felt like nothing.

On another note: I just checked out the houseboats (I love their look and one of the models looked like you could easily seperate a piece for designing a bathroom). But sadly have to join what some already posted about: Those houses are made for giants. And I could live with that...if I wouldn't know that it would also make all my furniture look like toys. 😞

I'm excited to try all of them. I want to build out the interiors and see what I can do. I absolutely love modding homes that I buy, and while I can't actually mod a Linden home I do a lot of wall rezzing and improvising. I think it's more than half the fun of living in a Linden home. So yeah, my biggest question is which one will I try first! 

37 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When I visited the demo there was a sign in front of each home saying one could click to choose a Linden home....so does that mean nobody is stuck with one style and can easily choose between them?

The mailboxes in front of the houses will give you a choice of the 4 versions that they rezzed at the preview area.  Ditto for the houseboats -- there are currently 4 versions to choose from.

Maybe they'll add other versions later for differently styled/themed areas.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When I visited the demo there was a sign in front of each home saying one could click to choose a Linden home....so does that mean nobody is stuck with one style and can easily choose between them?

Yes.

For the traditional homes there are four choices (two big and two small houses) and you can then change textures via hud.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The mailboxes in front of the houses will give you a choice of the 4 versions that they rezzed at the preview area.  Ditto for the houseboats -- there are currently 4 versions to choose from.

Maybe they'll add other versions later for differently styled/themed areas.

You can already see some on the SSP map -- at least there is one newish changed sim that has different colors than all the other houses.  Also it has been clear that there would be THEMED areas (I am thinking at least one that is of Asian influence that I would likely love -- not sure about what else).  So community themed has been mentioned a lot. 

The big sign at the demo showing textures says these are the ones for the TRADITIONAL houses.   So I am looking forward to seeing the others. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

So a tiny bit off topic but there is a segue.   I was looking at the map and noting that the new area is kind of in my backyard (for LEA6).  Cool. But was then looking at what was in between and there are some strange things there that don't look like personal land (so maybe test areas - who knows). 

BUT I also spied this area which looks very much like the set up for the Hop and Shops except for what looks to be trees perhaps. 

Anyone know anything about this?  Not accessible but no surprise there.

Later edit: Maybe this is the new "induction" area?   

image.thumb.png.fe2b06b07f3e2fc2934a0a01bd1a1621.png

Edited by Chic Aeon

(I am thinking at least one that is of Asian influence that I would likely love -- not sure about what else).  So community themed has been mentioned a lot.

I'm glad there will be other themes. While I can see they did a good job building the suburbs, I was starting to feel a bit oppressed -- I was imagining June & Ward Cleaver with the Beav trailing behind, emerging from one of the houses :(   lol

I love themes, and indeed the area is prettier than many areas in SL, so was surprised it could feel oppressive to me...must be mainly my general distaste of the socially conforming 50's and all that went with that.

The big sign at the demo showing textures says these are the ones for the TRADITIONAL houses.   So I am looking forward to seeing the others. 

You mean those out on the lake? The swimming ones? Could well just mean in contrast to houseboats...

• Like 1