SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

2 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Will these be standard Premium homes or a new higher level of cost?

When will they be available? By auction? Random free landing?

How much effort will LL put into enforcing the look and feel-- those stupid empty skyscrapers really wrecked Horizon.  Will a Linden roll the streets in a golf cart and return out of theme stuff? REALLY?

Presumably, it will be just like the current Linden homes, you just request one on the site. As for enforcing the look and feel I would presume you are forced to use one of their houses, and just like the current linden home regions, they actually will remove things that are out of theme. it seems to be the only thing you can AR and actually get a Linden to action nowadays.

7 hours ago, animats said:

It's a very well executed project. The houses look good, even at low level of detail. The interior details look good. The parquet flooring is nice.The landscaping is effective at dividing the parcels. The houses all lack both kitchens and bathrooms, or suitably sized rooms for them.

It's unimaginative. It's an idealized suburbia, like Celebration, FL. Did market research indicate that's what customers wanted?

I love the look and feel of the new Linden Homes. But like you I did miss bathrooms, but not to worry because it's not so hard to mod the interior by rezzing walls where needed. I did ask Patch if a texture kit would be available like we have now for the current Linden Homes and he confirmed that there will be. One of the things I enjoyed with my current Linden Home was modding the interior to be what I wanted. I've already started on an idea for modding the interior of one of the houseboats. Patch yesterday said they took resident suggestions along with what they've learned from prior projects and used it all for this new project. I think it shows! I love it!

3 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

the question should be:

are people who going to live there adult enough to keep the community as nice as it is ... i think i know the answer.....

Read the covenant. There are lots of restrictions in place to keep the community looking nice. 

Also, may I suggest you read Inara's blog on the subject: https://modemworld.me/2019/03/15/new-linden-homes-preview/

• Like 1

The biggest issues that I see looking into the future is that while people must keep one of the Linden homes (see the rules from the land tab) it does appear from my reading that they will be able to add plants and trees and outdoor furniture (more than with the current Linden Homes that mostly minimal areas for outdoor additions).   So LAG could easily increase.   

Truthfully lag could also increase over by the houseboats UNLESS you had one of the  parcels that have mostly you and the sea as vista. Of course folks can derender some of the pretty if necessary -- or spend time indoors with windows closed LOL. 

The BIGGER issue -- judging from the past -- will be keeping down the offensive rezzing.  The AR "neighborhood watch" police hasn't worked well with the current Linden Homes. I ARed a huge (HUGE) floating cube atop a building  that was advertising a store. That was at Meadowbrook during the glytch hunting times.  It never went away in well over a month.  And Horizons was supposed to be futuristically themed and that didn't turn out.   Personally I like the idea of covenants and rules; they just need to be enforced.  Hopefully if this new area goes over well (and perhaps the old Linden Homes get redone) someone will be in charge of keeping the neighborhood  neighborly.  

I had a HUGE bathroom in a rental house once. Really. It had a big clawfoot bathtub as well as a shower and other fixtures and enough empty space for a small party. So most any room can be a bathroom. Plop down a prim for a tile floor and decorate. And many of the houses -- even the tiny ones -- could be decorated with  kitchenettes with adjoining dining rooms.   

It's all about imagination!    

Went back over to the preview homes this morning and think "I" would pick the two story Winchester -- mostly for the balconies and French doors. There is a downstairs room there that would make a fine kitchen - dining area.   

Agree with the comments that the boathouses are a "little" too close, BUT that being said, they are that way in real life too so that was probably a consideration.

I am still very interested in seeing the NON-Traditional styles of houses. I spied some new house styles out on SSP this morning.  I typically like DIFFERENT so one of those may end up being my favorite!

• Like 2

I've just been to look at them, and I think it looks really nice, I love the whole neighbourhood feel to it all. 

A bit disappointed with the houses, they are very small, basically two rooms plus an entrance-way, and with a lot of interior walls that use up a chunk of the available space. The parcels feel like there's too much garden and not enough house. I think an open plan at least on the ground floor would have been better, and allowed residents to add interior walls where/if they want them. 

But I totally dig the houseboats. They are open plan with lots of deck space indoors and out, and heaps of room at the slips to moor a yacht/speedboat/battleship. I particularly like the one with the big canopy on the top deck. 

houseboat_001.thumb.png.376180ed9ccd1fb5ad8473539fdb2a63.png

• Like 1

It's neat, and it's "typical small town USA" that is really popular in so many private rental regions that open and close as they fight each other for rentals. For a lot of people this will be a far cheaper option then renting from one of the "typical small town USA" private estates.

Overall it's a great improvement on the original housing continents, and I am sure there were a tonne of design and technical needs that had to be filled - for example some people being 15 feet tall while others are 5 feet tall. Well done Patch and your moles for pulling that all together.

I wonder if FPS could be raised a little if some of the alphas on the trees are masked off? It's the prime trick I use on my estates to ensure everyone enjoys a lag free environment to rent in.

Honestly, it wasn't so bad though in this preview as I only dropped to 16-20fps from my normal 80-120fps, and of course, we have to take account of it not being a completely valid FPS test as there are other things in that show.

My one niggling concern is what happens to the FPS from this 20fps point, if a neighbor adds 300 LI of twenty-one 1024x1024 textured, LOD-hacked, high vertex, gatcha-obtained, shabby-chic knick-nacks in their houseboat 5 meters away. Is the covenant strong enough to lodge a ticket for lag abuse, get the lab in as you can on private by grabbing a manager, and have them pull the person back to un-lagged reality?

Edited by Shudo

7 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Will these be standard Premium homes or a new higher level of cost?

When will they be available? By auction? Random free landing?

How much effort will LL put into enforcing the look and feel-- those stupid empty skyscrapers really wrecked Horizon.  Will a Linden roll the streets in a golf cart and return out of theme stuff? REALLY?

From everything that has been said in various places, these will be standard Premium Linden Homes - the promised upgrade to the current set to take advantage of the 1024 sqm tier that Premiums now get.  

We still don't know exactly 'when' or 'how', Patch did say that it was only "weeks" away.  By bet though is that folks will simply pick a category via their dashboard - House vs Houseboat - and then get a randomly assigned plot.  With the current Linden Homes, if you don't like what you get, you can abandon it and try again -- up to a max of 5 times a day. Possibly the same or something similar will be allowed.  

As to 'enforcement of theme' - LL does enforce things in the current Linden Home settings, though sometimes it takes a while and sometimes multiple reports.  I believe a while back they were hiring for the Land Management group, so maybe with increased staff, they can better police the Linden Home areas.

ETA:  Actually, many questions about this are answered in this blog post:  https://modemworld.me/2019/03/15/new-linden-homes-preview/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

The new Linden homes looks pretty nice. I probably would want a houseboat and I have a sneaking suspicion those will be the most in demand. 

It sounds great to have the new continent connecting two of the big continents as well!

But my big worry is the security orbs and the ban lines. Existing protected passages tend to be so narrow that it's difficult to drive through in a car without hitting some ban line. If you are flying or in a boat? Forget it. That is a huge factor that discourages use of mainland parcels. The benefit of the mainland is it's a bunch of space put together to travel over. But if you can't . . . what's the point?

So yay! for connecting continents and nice houses. I hope there will be enough protected space to actually travel over the newly connected continents easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Personally I like the idea of covenants and rules; they just need to be enforced.  Hopefully if this new area goes over well (and perhaps the old Linden Homes get redone) someone will be in charge of keeping the neighborhood  neighborly.  

I was very much encouraged when I read this in Inara's post. "...the existing Linden Homes mini-continents will be retired and removed from the grid, with those remaining on them rather than obtaining a new linden Home being encouraged to move." 

I was hoping they would go away permanently.

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I think an open plan at least on the ground floor would have been better, and allowed residents to add interior walls where/if they want them. 

I agree! It's really easy to add walls but you can't make them go away. But I won't complain. It will just be more challenging.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We still don't know exactly 'when' or 'how', Patch did say that it was only "weeks" away.  By bet though is that folks will simply pick a category via their dashboard - House vs Houseboat - and then get a randomly assigned plot.  With the current Linden Homes, if you don't like what you get, you can abandon it and try again -- up to a max of 5 times a day. Possibly the same or something similar will be allowed.  

Patch was asked this very question yesterday while we were all standing around, and yes, he confirmed this is how it will work.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One other thing that shouldn't be forgotten, though we still don't have any info on how it will fit into things:

1569661592_Patch-Morethan1024plots.thumb.JPG.bc2f1f3864b133241ce09a2c614056b8.JPG

I'm wondering if he wasn't just throwing us off with that response. We learned yesterday that all the parcels are 1024s. Unless that's something going to happen in the future and not part of what's going on currently.

Enforced themes on Linden land has never worked and will never work (beyond the initial launch period). LL will not willingly create a support situation in which they have to exercise subjective content oversight, putting themselves in the role of arbiter of resident disputes & conflicting personal tastes.

Even on the existing Linden homes where there are simple rules, they are poorly and infrequently enforced with the only practical impact on most people being the inability to create low lag hideaway in the sky.

As nice as SSP is, it is still mainland, ordered with streets and trees, but mainland none the less. The landlord is still going to be LL who are reactive at best. They will not suddenly start playing the role of police-officer-on-every-corner.

Expect privacy walls, tower blocks, naughty boxes, clubs, shops, path finding pets, houses crammed full of hyper detailed 1Li gatcha tat, tiny empires, and everything else we do in SL. Expect to have that one neighbor who rezzes toddler toys and sex beds. Expect LL to be involved for the first couple of months and then rarely ever after. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I was very much encouraged when I read this in Inara's post. "...the existing Linden Homes mini-continents will be retired and removed from the grid, with those remaining on them rather than obtaining a new linden Home being encouraged to move."

Wellllllll, Linden Lab expected everybody to flock over to Sansar too, didn't they? ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm wondering if he wasn't just throwing us off with that response. We learned yesterday that all the parcels are 1024s. Unless that's something going to happen in the future and not part of what's going on currently.

Yes, certainly a possibility of misdirection--- BUT we haven't heard anything in a long while about Premium tier levels.  So perhaps some of the currently empty land on that continent will be larger parcels.  They could even make a giant lake -- or add on. 

I went over to Meadowbrook this morning as I was wandering and testing (loading is better for me now after a couple of weeks so thanks again for that reminder and nudge) and FOR ME the Meadowbrook sims had much higher framerates. That's to be expected I guess since they much more simplistic (especially the flora). But most of the place that I saw were empty too. So I am guessing a lot of Linden Homes folks migrated when the 1024 tier allotment came into being. Wasn't watching to see that, but it is pretty empty. 

AND to be fair, even if the new homes and environment comes with a lower FPS, The Lab is building for the NEXT ten years (or whatever) and we can assume that folks will have faster computers and better cards in the years to come.    

I am still looking forward to seeing what other types of housing will be available besides the four "traditional". Since Meadowbrook was always the most popular type it seems logical to show the traditional houses in the preview.

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Wellllllll, Linden Lab expected everybody to flock over to Sansar too, didn't they? ;)

Well, no, no they didn't. But apparently a lot of people in SL thought they did and got all paranoid about it, which was unfortunate. But water under the bridge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I went over to Meadowbrook this morning as I was wandering and testing (loading is better for me now after a couple of weeks so thanks again for that reminder and nudge) and FOR ME the Meadowbrook sims had much higher framerates. That's to be expected I guess since they much more simplistic (especially the flora). But most of the place that I saw were empty too. So I am guessing a lot of Linden Homes folks migrated when the 1024 tier allotment came into being. Wasn't watching to see that, but it is pretty empty. 

My premium home is in Meadowbrook. It's been all but a ghost town for months. A very few of the homes have a little bit of furniture in them but I never see anyone in the region or the regions surrounding my region. I never have lag because I'm the only one using it! 

• Haha 1

As it is most likely connected to the jeogeot gulf, you can expect expect atomic submarines armed WWII seaplanes and whatnot moored your neighbour's houseboat pier...

And expect banlines everywhere so folks can have snu snu in their Linden home beds,...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The joys of mainland, privacy screens, ban lines, and very narrow sailing channels.

But it is a great place to sit and cam into people's creativity! Some of the worst outside build homes have lovely insides.

Edited by Shudo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Well, no, no they didn't.

They did at first actually. It wasn't until 2016 Ebbe started to mention in interviews the possibility that some people might choose to remain in SL. To quote from memory what he used to say: "Some will move over right away, some will wait." Eventually he started to add "Some may never move."

But speaking of SSP, no, I do not think the Linden Home owners will move over en masse. In another discussion here some people say they stay in SL because they don't want to start over somewhere else. That's a very common view both in SL and in RL and it doesn't only apply to SL vs other virtual realities but also to different locations in SL. Moving is always a bother and I'm sure many will feel it's not worth it, no matter how much encouragement LL offers.

Others only use their Linden Home as a "safehouse", a place to log on to and maybe change outfit once every leap year. They won't see any point in moving.

Many won't even notice. Pick a random Linden Homes sim and take a closer look at the parcels and houses. Most of the has zero traffic count and only very sparse - if any - furnishing. The owners of those houses are not active SL users. They may log on every now and then to reminiscence of old days but they're not really doing much here and they're certainly not paying attention to any messages from LL.

Some Linden Home owners will move - to SSP, to some other part of SL or away from the grid entirely -  and new premium members will of course go straight to SSP. So the Linden Home sims will start to empty. But it will be slow and I'll be very surprised if the LH sims aren't still more than half full two or three years from now. That bring up an interesting question, how empty will a Linden Home sim have to be before LL clsoes it down?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

But speaking of SSP, no, I do not think the Linden Home owners will move over en masse. In another discussion here some people say they stay in SL because they don't want to start over somewhere else. That's a very common view both in SL and in RL and it doesn't only apply to SL vs other virtual realities but also to different locations in SL. Moving is always a bother and I'm sure many will feel it's not worth it, no matter how much encouragement LL offers.

If I find something location-wise to rival my Parkside Linden home, I will consider moving.

23 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

They did at first actually. It wasn't until 2016 Ebbe started to mention in interviews the possibility that some people might choose to remain in SL. To quote from memory what he used to say: "Some will move over right away, some will wait." Eventually he started to add "Some may never move."

Others only use their Linden Home as a "safehouse", a place to log on to and maybe change outfit once every leap year. They won't see any point in moving.

Many won't even notice. Pick a random Linden Homes sim and take a closer look at the parcels and houses. Most of the has zero traffic count and only very sparse - if any - furnishing. The owners of those houses are not active SL users. They may log on every now and then to reminiscence of old days but they're not really doing much here and they're certainly not paying attention to any messages from LL.

Some Linden Home owners will move - to SSP, to some other part of SL or away from the grid entirely -  and new premium members will of course go straight to SSP. So the Linden Home sims will start to empty. But it will be slow and I'll be very surprised if the LH sims aren't still more than half full two or three years from now. That bring up an interesting question, how empty will a Linden Home sim have to be before LL clsoes it down?

Yeah, I've heard all this before, I think from you in fact. But I don't think it's a good argument for leaving the old Linden Homes standing. If people don't notice others leaving or don't pay attention to messages from the Lab in regards to changes coming then let them loose their homes. If one day they log in and see that the continent is gone then I guess they'll finally get the message. I imagine most will likely be amazed that they can get a much better home with more land and more prims without spending any more money to get it. 

In any case, our opinions are of little importance. 

20 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Been testing all this while (boooooring) and it is indeed Avast.

I'll be damned. I do use Avast, too.
I guess I'll just continue to endure the problems and hope that one day they get fixed. I don't trust any other anti-virus software x3

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I imagine most will likely be amazed that they can get a much better home with more land and more prims without spending any more money to get it. 

You optimist ... I imagine most calling it the final straw and unsubscribing ...

2 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

I'll be damned. I do use Avast, too.
I guess I'll just continue to endure the problems and hope that one day they get fixed. I don't trust any other anti-virus software x3

Poke me if it gets fixed PLEASE!!   :D.  I don't venture out on "the Internet" all that much so I am pretty safe. When I uninstalled I told them it was because of a conflict with Second Life, so maybe they WILL look into that. We are likely a very small part of the puzzle though.