NVidia announces new graphics cards

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now, even more expensive!

For those who have to have the new shiny thing, the NVidia 2080 was just announced. 11GB of memory. About US$1000.  Perhaps at last you can see a whole kilometer in SL. With shadows turned on. Looking forward to user reports.

We should see a price drop for the NVidia 1080 series, currently the high end fo SL, soon. Especially since the crypto coin mining boom seems to be no longer eating the graphics card market Historically, graphics card prices for a given card went down about 50% in a year. For the last year, they went up, with some cards doubling in price. That era seems to be over.

SL is more CPU bound than gpu. They're interesting cards but the consumer versions are just a cash grab. There is no reason for the 2080ti to be 1200$. They're trying to make up for the losses from putting out way too many pascal cards at their end of generation to sell to miners that went nowhere when crypto crashed hard and the hobbyists bailed.

The professional cards are interesting with their real time ray tracing capabilities, is been a desire for a very long time for movie production to have a dedicated render server option that would be capable of showing larger scenes and stills rendered with lighting in real time.

There is no use for this feature on consumer cards however and I'm not sure why the consumer cards have this RTX name when they're trying to sell gaming cards to gamers who will likely never touch real time ray tracing with the cards ever.

It means nothing for SL until LL can work out its resource management for proper multi threaded CPU rendering. Graphically you can max this game at higher framerates on a 580.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, animats said:

You may be right. Too many draw calls?

lighting and shadows, physics and object management are handled by the CPU, and SL has a lot of that, and its engine for these tasks is very archaic from the time where single core single thread processors were common, its not optimized for properly utilizing multiple threads/cores (this isnt saying that the game DOESNT use multiple cores, but that its not using multi core/thread capabilities to their fullest potential)

so you gpu actually isnt doing too much with SL, graphically i can run this game fairly well on a large variety of gpus with the same i5 4570 i have, maxed my GTX 970 is only getting a 5-10fps more than my GTX 560ti, and thats only getting 1-2fps more than a gtx 465 which is only getting about 5fps more than a GTX 275

basically i lose 20fps max dropping from a 970 to a 275, which isnt the case with any other game, its a cpu bottleneck in a system thats well paired and doesnt have a bottleneck in any other game

its something LL really needs to work on but it would be a daunting task, theres a LOT of legacy stuff that still exists in the current viewer and i imagine a lot would have to be rewritten from scratch

• Like 1

Intrigued with the news of the imminent release of Nvidia RTX series and its claim of real time ray tracing. Guess I assumed it would help with advanced lighting features.  I doubt it will help boost my frame rates though.  Here is why. If I enable Ultra settings, frame rates take a big hit.  Say from over 60 to less than 15 if the area has a lot of complex objects.  I took a look with task manager to learn that my GPU (Nvidia 1080) is only taxed around 50%, VRAM 25% and my CPU (6700K @ 4.6Ghz) only around 20%.  Its not even scratching the RAM either. SL and this firestorm viewer is not loading down what I have yet has low frame rates at 1080P no less.  This does not bode well to expect better frame rates by moving to even more powerful hardware.  Of course if I back off on the viewer settings, especially the lighting effects frame rates jump tremendously.  My ISP is a cable provider from which I get nearly 60Mbps downloads.  I don't think I am bandwidth bound either here.  A previous poster said things like shadows are CPU driven but I have plenty to spare.

Anyone have a clue how to run Ultra everything at respectable rates? 

31 minutes ago, Cusprider Nephilim said:

my CPU (6700K @ 4.6Ghz) only around 20%. 

Although some happens in multiple cores, a lot happens on a single core. That 20% is over all cores, yes? You might actually find that one has hit 100%, and that's a hard limit.

Shadows, and draw distance. And land owners changing their blended alpha plants to masked alpha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.