Just me showing off again

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a sidewalk. Dimensions according to Statens Vegvesen's (the Norwegian road authorities) specifications.

One standard texture, right from the Nova Albion content package. (The copy in the background has a grungier texture courtesy of Moard Ling.)

No LoD issues whatsoever. Set your LoD factor to 0 if you like, it still looks the same all the way to your draw distance.

I think the picture says the rest:

1433627463_Skjermbilde(1336).thumb.png.b59faf7f5191fe20e8d791345a9244a1.png

I could have reduced the render weight down to 325 - the texture resolution is quite a bit higher than necessary - but I wanted to use ready-made standard textures for it

Now, it isn't actually only about me showing off, there is a very important point too.

There's been a lot of talk about bad building here recently. We've had various threads dissecting poorly made objects and a yesterday Skell posted a rather grotesque example how bad thoughtless, heavy-handed landscaping can get. (That was bad enough he had to put it under a spoiler tag to save sensitive souls from seeing it.)

Let's try a more positive approach, and let's make it a challenge: Show off your best optimized builds!

It can be mesh, prims or sculpts and it doesn't have to be something as simple as this sidewalk. Optimisation is never about making the build simpler and blander, it's always about getting more for less. That principle can be applied to any level of complexity.

One of the most fundamental rules for good design and building, in SL as in RL, is to work with the materials at hand and never try to fight them. Creativity rarely starts with the question "this is what I want to make, how do I do it?", it's usually "this is what I have, what can I make from it?"

Edited by ChinRey
Typos
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.