Sign in to follow this  
Nevliel

Face mesh & body mesh?

Hi, I'm new to SL and wanted to get some head&body mesh but I'm really confused which one works with which because there's a ton of them. For example, I want to buy a Genesis head mesh but what body mesh goes with it? Does brand matter? Do you have to apply skin to the head mesh? What is a bento head? And which is the best price?

I'm sorry for so many questions but yeah I'm really confused

Mesh heads and bodies are nearly all compatible with each other, so you can combine head and body from different makers no problem.

You do have to apply matching skins to both parts. Most heads and bodies come with a bundled selection of skins, and sometimes it just happens that the skins in both parts were made by the same makers and all you have to do is choose matching tones from the head and body HUDs, but that is the exception. Usually you would buy a skin package which includes a skin compatible with both your particular body and head, or separate body and head skins in the same tone from the same maker. "Compatible" means either designed specifically for your body/head brand, or an Omega skin which is compatible with almost all mesh heads (I'm not sure about Genesis) and bodies. To use an Omega skin you usually need to have an Omega relay/installer for your body/head brand - a separate purchase.

Mesh heads are available in Bento and non-Bento forms, while quality mesh bodies are nearly all Bento. "Bento" is the name of a Linden Lab project to add extra bones to the avatar skeleton about 2 years ago. A Bento head allows you to adjust the shape of the head's features and use generic face animations. A non-Bento head is usually cheaper but its features are fixed, apart from a few built-in animations in some heads. In a body, Bento enables fingers to be moved separately, and allows you to add animated wings, tails, and other attachments.

Quality mesh bodies tend to cost around 3,000 L$, including hands and feet, and sometimes including a head. The standard advice is to get demos of all the bodies that interest you, play with their HUDs and shapes, and see which one suits you best. You can find details and reviews of most popular mesh bodies, and links to where you can get demos, on the Mesh Body Addicts website and the Strawberry Singh blog. The availability of clothes designed to fit your body is also an important factor, so you could also get demos of clothes you would like to wear with it and check that they fit well.

Edited by angeoco
fixed link to strawberry singh website
  • Like 1

You are going to have a hard time just finding any makeup for the Genesis labs heads..I have a couple and even their own makeup doesn't fit their own mesh heads..

A body skin to match, I think i found one body skin that was close from YS&Y I think they are called..

They are nice mesh heads but they just lack so much support from creators.. You'll be spending a lot of your time hunting for products for the head..That's what happened with me..

Maybe someone else has had better experience with them..

If they just had a bit more support and some makeups ,they would be very nice..They work well with the sliders that for sure..

I know which mesh head i would recommend but it's still in beta right now getting ready for full release once they get animations for it and bugs fixed up..That one is Genus project..

Then there is Logo which has some nice heads and  Letluka..I'm lacking in sleep so I know I'm gonna forget some hehehe

Mesh body..The ones I use and like are Belleza and Maitreya..they both have a lot of support from creators and  pretty nice huds to work with as well and they have nice skins that come with them as well..They are the two most popular..

• Like 1

And try demos.

I would like to recommend LAQ and Vista, both are cheaper than Catwa and LeLutka.

It is still sold a lot of "old" heads, and that is not wrong to buy them. It is just that you have to know what you buy. If you buy a static non- Bento head without animations, that is great, unless you think you can edit it and have expressions.

Do you have no limits for a budget? Catwa, Lelutka is 5000 L.

Middle range, Vista, Laq, other brands I can not remember....

Cheap: Static, non-Bento heads from Catwa or experimental beta heads. Also the Normie head.

If you want the most options for a head, it has to have: Bento, include static poses and mood expressions, plus Omega.

For me the animations is what makes the head. I could not buy a beta head without animations just because it is pretty. I must see it animated.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone who took time to answer this I really appreciate it, I think I've got the hang of it! ?

The other thing you might try as a STARTER to learn something about mesh heads and bodies are some from ones. There is an eBody that is FREE and also a free "curvy" eBody for gals that like more roundness :D. Both cost a linden dollar. 

Also right now there is a very nice free full body and head avatar on the Women only Hunt at altamura. The altamura body isn't a full version of course but it would give you some idea about what is involved. Honestly I think it is a very nice full body.  

So some options.