Jump to content
RuchiVee

Summing Up Bloodlines

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm considering joining the Bloodlines game, and have spent a good deal of time investigating what, exactly, it is.  I'd appreciate it if experienced Bloodline players would correct or add to what I think the game is, based on my research (which consisted basically of asking a lot of questions of one Clan leader).

As far as I can tell, Bloodlines is a game of predation and dominance.  Vampires and Lycans (and Hybrids) prey on humans by biting/clawing them in order to "mark" them as their Clan's "property" or chattle -- i.e., making them off-limits to other Clans (except through costly circumventitive procedures).  They make humans their chattle so that they will have a supply of blood/lumens, which earns the vampire/lycan "points" of a sort, designating their prowess as a hunter and elevating them in status or rank within their clan (and also so they don't lose all their blood points and fall into the abyss, which, as far as I can tell, isn't much of a penalty).  Earning these "points," in turn, earns the hunter's Clan "points" of a sort, elevating that Clan in prestige vis-à-vis other Clans.  Individual (and, therefore Clan) status can also be elevated by visiting certain "haunts" and clicking on signs posted at the haunts which grant the visiting vampire/lycan more "points" (and badges memorializing their achievement) and clues to the location of other haunts.  The Clan with the highest status is a "winner" of sorts (of little more than bragging rights), but because the game has no real end, the top Clan's status is always threatened by all the other Clans, and an ambitious Clan can unseat them.

Is that about it in a nutshell?  Or am I missing a fundamental aspect of the game?

Also, my research has not yet uncovered any details about roleplaying.  How much does RPing play into the Bloodlines game?

I would be grateful for any and all input.

Edited by RuchiVee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RuchiVee said:

I'm considering joining the Bloodlines game, and have spent a good deal of time investigating what, exactly, it is.  I'd appreciate it if experienced Bloodline players would correct or add to what I think the game is, based on my research (which consisted basically of asking a lot of questions of one Clan leader).

As far as I can tell, Bloodlines is a game of predation and dominance.  Vampires and Lycans (and Hybrids) prey on humans by biting/clawing them in order to "mark" them as their Clan's "property" or chattle -- i.e., making them off-limits to other Clans (except through costly circumventitive procedures).  They make humans their chattle so that they will have a supply of blood/lumens, which earns the vampire/lycan "points" of a sort, designating their prowess as a hunter and elevating them in status or rank within their clan (and also so they don't lose all their blood points and fall into the abyss, which, as far as I can tell, isn't much of a penalty).  Earning these "points," in turn, earns the hunter's Clan "points" of a sort, elevating that Clan in prestige vis-à-vis other Clans.  Individual (and, therefore Clan) status can also be elevated by visiting certain "haunts" and clicking on signs posted at the haunts which grant the visiting vampire/lycan more "points" (and badges memorializing their achievement) and clues to the location of other haunts.  The Clan with the highest status is a "winner" of sorts (of little more than bragging rights), but because the game has no real end, the top Clan's status is always threatened by all the other Clans, and an ambitious Clan can unseat them.

Is that about it in a nutshell?  Or am I missing a fundamental aspect of the game?

Also, my research has not yet uncovered any details about roleplaying.  How much does RPing play into the Bloodlines game?

I would be grateful for any and all input.

srtart with loosing the "romantic" view :)

Bloodlines is mainly about the numbers, and second: about the numbers... third.. you guess right: numbers
Playing it at a certain level simply said costs a decent amount of money, no matter if you buy your L$ or earn it inworld.

And everytime one of the branches of the game starts giving less profit to the creators... they add a new and try to get the money machine run again.

You have to buy your humans a hud (599)
you have to buy your humans apples or cider to keep their humanity at a good level.(á 14 L each or 30/50l a liter)
you have to buy your minions a hud (599)
you have to keep sure your minions stay alive and provide blood lumens if they can't find it themselves (30/ 50L a liter if i'm not wrong)
if your minons get souls you have to help them get the amulet/totem to protect against the curse, or there's a chance they will get destroyed and you can start allover with collecting (expensive) souls.(8999)
you have to think most play bloodlines on different creatures.. vampire, lycan, demon, angel, and all crossbreeds... all those main  sorts need their own HUD ( again á 599) ánd their own "food"... blood/lumens/cider/ether... and so on...

To find people to join you: 99% of the SL population hates bloodlines and other vampire games.

RP... yes there is RP, mostly in the smaller clans. The bigger ones are all about ..yes again... numbers and wannabee dictators. When you see kings and queens with 25.000 souls.. or some even more, please.. run!  99% are empty specialy made accounts/alts for bloodlines. There are several stores where those are sold.

I end with the thing i started... look around long, and deep... test, try, and listen what happens around you... it's mostly about the numbers...

(been in it, seen it, done it...and left it)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't forgot about the curse. Every day you lose 0.25 L of blood. After 30 days you are destroyed. So, you either need to buy a drink of blood (approximate cost $25 L), feed off of one of your blood dolls ( and give them a golden apple <$25 L again>to restore the lost blood)... or you hang out at places where noobs congregate and try to sneakily give them a bite request, getting your daily bloodfix, and casting the poor noobs soul into limbo.

As for RP, if there was any rp involved, you wouldn't need bloodlines.

The fundamental aspect? It's about every vampire having to pay about $25 L every day to the creators of bloodlines to avoid being destroyed.

I'm not a vampire or a doll, but I've hung around vamps a lot, so I can answer a lot of your questions.

Best way to get a new doll for your clan? Ask to bite them in the heat of passion.

Oh, I forgot.. the biggest part of bloodlines is the drama

 

 

Edited by Phorumities
fixed a word, added a line
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

little addition...

if you like it... don't let anyone stop you playing it!... it cán be really fun. Your SL... your game.. your imagination.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Phorumities, what do you mean by "you are destroyed"?  My Second Life avatar ceases to exist and my Second Life account is kaput if I don't pay for blood or feed?

Also, to answer your question in the post above, yes, I know:

I'm asking because I'm deciding whether to participate in the game or just ignore all that "doll in Hoodlums Clan" hullaballoo. 

Edited by RuchiVee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

 Every day you lose 0.25 L of blood. After 30 days you are destroyed.
So, you either need to buy a drink of blood (approximate cost $25 L), feed off of one of your blood dolls ( and give them a golden apple <$25 L again>to restore the lost blood)
It's about every vampire having to pay about $25 L every day to the creators of bloodlines to avoid being destroyed.

these are amount that don't sound familar to me, must be really new..or simply not right.

you hold 5 liters of any fluid... is for me 20 days

on the market your drinks cost between 30 and 50 L  a liter... thats also no 25L...not even half of that.

a apple costs as far i know 14 L$

cider costs also between 30 and 50 L ... same calculation,

i think giving right information is a lot more fair than estimations that are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RuchiVee said:

Phorumities, what do you mean by "you are destroyed"?  My Second Life avatar ceases to exist and my Second Life account is kaput if I don't pay for blood or feed?

you are not destoyed, but you are bitten by two people, you can see those in your bloodline profile.  And you have the HUD...ánd set your liege to one.... so i agree with Phorum.... where do your questions come from?

If you have questions about your clan or the game, you should ask your liege, he/she should teach you ... but if he's only about the numbers you'll be drained soon, and live on the streets of Bloolines... (just a matter of speaking, not really)

NOTHING will really happen to your avatar, it's all a game... if you have enough of it... simply walk away, or wear the garlic necklace, activate it, and walk away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game is pay to play, this upsets people who don't play it an awful lot.

It's not expensive, and if you're having fun and meeting people .. then there are worse ways to waste money.

If the theme and people appeal, give it a try, the worst that can happen is you don't like it and move on to something else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RuchiVee said:

Phorumities, what do you mean by "you are destroyed"?  My Second Life avatar ceases to exist and my Second Life account is kaput if I don't pay for blood or feed?

Also, to answer your question in the post above, yes, I know:

I'm asking because I'm deciding whether to participate in the game or just ignore all that "doll in Hoodlums Clan" hullaballoo. 

Destroyed in the bloodlines universe. Nothing you do in bloodlines has any effect whatsoever on your avatar or second life account

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The information I wrote in my original post came from the leader of the Clan.

To answer your question, the chronology of events basically go like this:

1.  I was bitten by a vampire in my first month of participating in SL and didn't know it.

2.  Eventually, I learned of the Bloodlines game and decided to look into it, in case it was a fun RPG that I might enjoy.  I interviewed the "king" of a vampire Clan (Interview with a Vampire?) who answered a lot of my questions.

3.  In the process of being interviewed by me, the vampire king "scanned" me and informed me that I had lost my "soul" to some random sneaky vampire player.

4.  The vampire king then restored my soul with a potion and a "traded" soul and I willingly set him as my liege in the event I decided I wanted to play this game.  I figured, if I decided not to play the game, I would just ignore all this soul and liege stuff.

So, that's where the questions come from.  I'm trying to figure out if there's more to this game than what the vampire king I interviewed told me.  I'm still deciding whether I want to play or just shrug my shoulders and walk away.

Edited by RuchiVee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The game is pay to play, this upsets people who don't play it an awful lot.

It's not expensive, and if you're having fun and meeting people .. then there are worse ways to waste money.

If the theme and people appeal, give it a try, the worst that can happen is you don't like it and move on to something else.

I will admit the one "positive" aspect of bloodlines is that it offers a family to confused or lonely people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RuchiVee said:

The information I wrote in my original post came from the leader of the Clan.

To answer your question, the chronology of events basically go like this:

1.  I was bitten by a vampire in my first month of participating in SL and didn't know it.

2.  Eventually, I learned of the Bloodlines game and decided to look into it, in case it was a fun RPG that I might enjoy.  I interviewed the "king" of a vampire Clan (Interview with a Vampire?) who answered a lot of my questions.

3.  In the process of being interviewed by me, the vampire king "scanned" me and informed me that I had lost my "soul" to some random sneaky vampire player.

4.  The vampire king then restored my soul with a potion and a "traded" soul and I willingly set him as my liege in the event I decided I wanted to play this game.  I figured, if I decided not to play the game, I would just ignore all this soul and liege stuff.

So, that's where the questions come from.  I'm trying to figure out if there's more to this game than what the vampire king I interviewed told me.  I'm still deciding whether I want to play or just shrug my shoulders and walk away.

I always wonder if a soul is really lost when a vampire scans someone, or is it just another sneaky way to get a bite. Oh you poor dear, a spampire bit you, your soul is in limbo. Here, drink this potion, then I'll bite you and your soul will be restored TO ME.

You have the hud, your liege paid for it. As a human it costs you nothing to play the game. If you like the clan members, there's no harm in staying

Edited by Phorumities
added a line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The true value of bloodlines towards the community is having indicators of whom to stay clear of...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Oh you poor dear, a spampire bit you, your soul is in limbo.

 

Exactly, Phorumities.  I don't see the big deal of it all.

Edited by RuchiVee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is Bloodlines a Ponzi scheme?

The player of the vampire/lycan at the top of a clan does not profit financially from those lower in the pyramid, as far as I can tell, but does profit in terms of power and prestige...and those lower in the pyramid, through micropurchases, do invest money into the infrastructure of the game to support the top member's power/prestige.  So...it is a sort of a Ponzi scheme, is it not?

 

Edited by RuchiVee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RuchiVee said:

Is Bloodlines a Ponzi scheme?

No, not at all.
BTW, Ponzi is not at all the same as a pyramid scheme.  While not exactly a pyramid scheme either, it is designed to be a constant revenue stream for the creators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so, why not, Rhonda?  Why isn't Bloodlines either a Ponzi or a pyramid scheme?  Simply because the top member does not benefit financially (though he does benefit in status and power based on the financial investments of those lower in the scheme) or is there some other reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, Ethan Paslong said:

When you see kings and queens with 25.000 souls.. or some even more, please.. run!  99% are empty specialy made accounts/alts for bloodlines. There are several stores where those are sold

Oooo, we have another candidate for decline in SL users. Bloodlines is less popular so there are fewer players making umpteen billion alts for it. :SwingingFriends:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RuchiVee said:

Okay, so, why not, Rhonda?  Why isn't Bloodlines either a Ponzi or a pyramid scheme?  Simply because the top member does not benefit financially (though he does benefit in status and power based on the financial investments of those lower in the scheme) or is there some other reason?

A pyramid scheme, or multi-level-marketing style business has people taking a cut at every level. The bigger the tree below you the more income you get from cuts of all that income.

Bloodlines is a pay to play game that works on the basis that those who play more pay more and there is no inherited finical benefit for anyone. Your personal vampire empire might look like a pyramid scheme, but that's just a gameplay mechanic that does fit very well with the lore inherent to most vampire fantasy.

If anything .. being the head of a clan isn't cheap, it's not uncommon for those higher up to actively support the players below them in some way .. providing space to meet up, locations to RP, tanks, huds, you name it. Not to mention the time cost. If the few clan leaders I've known over the years have anything in common it's the time, effort and money they sink into maintaining the interest of those in their clan.

Sure, some groups have based their reputation scores on alt farming, but there are plenty that don't. Which do you think would be more fun and social to be a part of.

(Also, Tiny Empires was waaay worse for alt farming and botting than BL ever was).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Actually, the worst was Progeny and Hunger, Progeny lured you in, with a free HUD, but everything else costed money. Hell the people within progeny, were pretty snooty and had a superiority complex. That, and they never had to ask other users to bite, and their hud worked in no script areas. I was kicked, for getting sick and tired of them turning my home, into a feeding ground. Like the sim, had a no vampires rule, and they still didn't listen. Apparently, standing up for your home, and the people you once called family, is a big no-no.  Hunger, was a pay to play system, but it was just as bad. I actually left BL, due to one person. Actually the clan, they were abusive, and basically treated the lower people, as slaves, and well I couldn't take it. So I just said, screw you, I am leaving. They had a fit, and again, I was shunned. But this was back in 2012, on this account. I am not associated with any of that, and I plan on not ever being associated, with any of that. Oh and to add to my earlier things about progeny, there are a few people in these vampire systems, who truly believe they are 300 plus-year-old vampires.  I just want to take a big piece of garlic, and send it to them, and watch their reaction. Lol

Edited by halebore Aeon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone interested in bringing to Bloodlines the kind of vampire roleplay one finds in the World of Darkness vampire roleplaying game?  There are a lot of roleplaying communities on SL, like Taure Ru for medieval sword and sorcery, and Star Wars 4D for, well, Star Wars roleplay...but as far as I can tell, BL seems to be light on roleplay. 

Would anyone like to bring some World of Darkness style roleplay to Bloodlines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RuchiVee said:

Is anyone interested in bringing to Bloodlines the kind of vampire roleplay one finds in the World of Darkness vampire roleplaying game?  There are a lot of roleplaying communities on SL, like Taure Ru for medieval sword and sorcery, and Star Wars 4D for, well, Star Wars roleplay...but as far as I can tell, BL seems to be light on roleplay. 

Would anyone like to bring some World of Darkness style roleplay to Bloodlines?

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 9:49 AM, Derekmate said:

no

🤔

I'm presuming you're speaking for yourself, Derekmate?  Or are you fairly certain you speak for the entire SL community?  (Didn't mean that to sound snarky.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, RuchiVee said:

Would anyone like to bring some World of Darkness style roleplay to Bloodlines?

Bloodlines has Pookas, Sidhe and Bastet? Nope they don't? NO! ;)

 

Edited by Fionalein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×