Non Physical Vehicle Script Tips

Lolita Erin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, i have search for any releated post but many are too old and inconclusive, 

I like to know if it is posible to move a boat non physical enabled, i have works for months on a yacht and i have pass the 32 limit physics =, i have notice some bandits boats have over 100 physics so it must be posible to make it move smoot, if anyone have experince or give me advise of how can i do it i will apriciate.

thank you.

Edited by Lolita Erin

Most boaties are made up of mesh. Mesh objects can be designed without physical layers. Many boats also have nonphysical masts so you can sail them below low bridges and won't topple over when an aircraft hits them. 

I only saw "nonphysical" options in flying vehicles so far. Most vehicles are turned physical as soon as one avatar sits and are turned nonphysical upon the last avatar exiting. Just locate the turn physical part of the vehicle script and disable it, but maybe ground interactions need physics (you might be able to emulate them with push actions though)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

There are several types of vehicle scripts. By far the most fun use the "built-in" LSL vehicle functions which are a special mainline access to the Havok physics engine, and only work while the vehicle is physical.

Back in the days before Mesh, every prim (or sculpty) in a vehicle added to the physics burden, so another class of vehicle script was developed to work with completely non-physical assemblies. These scripts got pretty good and are more than adequate for vehicles with predictable motion (barges, say, or locomotives) but it's just too computationally intensive to replicate in LSL all the realistic dynamics the physics engine does for free.

With Mesh, though, it's trivial to make the vast majority of links in the vehicle assembly have Physics Type "None" perhaps layering in a simple transparent shell to handle all the physics. There's simply no reason to have a physics weight over 32 in modern vehicle construction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

With Mesh, though, it's trivial to make the vast majority of links in the vehicle assembly have Physics Type "None" perhaps layering in a simple transparent shell to handle all the physics. There's simply no reason to have a physics weight over 32 in modern vehicle construction.

Qie, is this the Weights of Selected->Physics: Physics weight of the selected shown in edit->advanced of an object?

I think that's right. It's the number shown for Physics in the little window that pops up when "More info" is clicked in the object editor.

Now that I think about it, I recall having trouble getting a reading for individual elements of the linkset (the "Edit linked" box checked), so I end up unlinking items to get their specific weights. (This may be viewer specific; I've never gotten 'round to investigating further.)

• Thanks 1

At the risk of committing heresy, we still use non-physical vehicles in Opensim.  You might check the Outworldz.com website for scripts.  Or you might create an avatar on OSGrid (or Kitely or Metropolis or any of the other hypergrid-connected worlds) and go exploring the script libraries. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the answers, but i know about mesh, i all ready made a boat and is working great with a script as a physical true (lest than 32 in physics), but i made a new boat, and i use seperate layers for prims and physics, but this is a bigger yacht that the previus i made, i dont like the idea to use the phantom because disable the hiting of the other boats lookk unrealistic.

I notice that there are some boats over the limits i just wonder how they do it.

thanks again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.