Display Name?

Kiri Cisse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I change my display name..... and I suppose I used characters that aren't acceptable.   I then reset it. And a week later?  I put the old display name in that had worked for years.... and it's dissapeared and now...... I have to wait another week to make an attempt.   I mean the display name window warns of unusable characters, and it said this one was fine..

Am I missing a bug or something? Having to wait a week for something that was accepted by SL is very very very very annoying.

I guess the question is how to make absolutely sure it will be accepted, as obviously SL's acceptance in the window (via lack of a warning) is not..... true.

Edited by Kiri Cisse
Clarification

3 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, Kiri Cisse said:

i guess the question is how to make absolutely sure it will be accepted,

use a general normal, not fancy font, the system will be able to keep it, pc's from others will show it, ( otherwise it will be blocks ) and others will be able to read it.

10 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

use a general normal, not fancy font, the system will be able to keep it, pc's from others will show it, ( otherwise it will be blocks ) and others will be able to read it.

I put it back to what I used for years.... and..... nothing. So.... don't know how to check for a 'non fancy font' but figured what I had used was acceptable. Not.  I just want to be absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt before I spent another <bleep>ing week on it.

Non-fancy is anything you type in from your keyboard using standard keys. No alt-key number combinations.

When you type in alt-key combination and paste in characters (unicode, etc) then you are getting fancy.

There are a number of posts in this forum about which characters can be used. Be aware that over the years there have been changed. So stick to recent articles, say 2016 and later. But, I haven't seen any perfect list. So, you may have to trial and error it a week at a time to get what you want... or something near it.

A significant number of residents hate those 'fancy' names... f-names... ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.