premium membership is it worth it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Getting  attacked as a leach on the system for getting a greater value in benefits than what you actually pay for by all the non premium members that "pay their own way" ... priceless

and I thought the leaches were those who don't spend any real money, and just earn their lindens in world

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

no landlord to consider and no need to plan ahead

This is one of the reasons I prefer mainland ownership with my tier paid directly to LL.  I don't want to HAVE to log on weekly or monthly to pay someone else just to ensure my land is still there when I return - and paying someone other than LL isn't really a full guarantee anyway since they could up and leave.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

and I thought the leaches were those who don't spend any real money, and just earn their lindens in world

No no, the leeches are the ones that don't buy Lindens, don't earn Lindens, don't have any Lindens at all, and proudly state that fact on their profiles along with a comment that anyone that spends money on this "game" needs their heads examined.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

and paying someone other than LL isn't really a full guarantee anyway since they could up and leave.

I had this happen to me and my co-renter friend when M screwed over Homesteads during his reign.  The owner of the main private sim stopped the rental business and most of my stuff was returned as a blob of objects with no warning.  Some of my stuff I never found again.   So friggin' glad M's gone.

"Worth it" is kinda relative, I think.  

Although I've never bothered with the 1024 sqm thing, just the stock standard 512 sqm Linden Home, even so, I shamelessly buy L$'s, shop like there's no tomorrow, and rent a private island from an agency with a stellar reputation who's been around since '07 and protects their tenants like a lioness with cubs. In the unlikely event things ever go belly up for them, I won't be left homeless. 

Bottom line: renting privately away from the tangled and often ugly mess known as Linden land is the sole reason why a premium membership is "worth it" to me - it's just backup. Might not be brilliant logic, but it's mine and I'm sticking with it :)

Anyway - someone's got to keep SL's economy afloat, right?

(Pretty sure there was an identical thread on this topic some months ago.)

27 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Anyway - someone's got to keep SL's economy afloat, right?

That would be the people who pay rent/maintenance fees on the 2/3 rds of SL that ISN'T Madlands... The "Private Estates".

Madlands Entitlement Club is only "worth it" if you plan to have properly on the Madlands. If you don't, well, it's a lot less useful.

The fees for club membership, also, are NOT what keeps SL open. Take owning a full sim for example.

A Madlander pays their $1 a month, for Club membership (after stipend cashback) and $175 in tier.

An Islander pays $249 a month in maintenance.

Which is larger, $1 + $175, or $249?

I said it's not brilliant logic - it's mine and it works for me. Like it or lump it.

I'm also not a member of the "Hate All Things LL/SL" club and not interested in being converted either, so you're wasting your toxicity on me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

That would be the people who pay rent/maintenance fees on the 2/3 rds of SL that ISN'T Madlands... The "Private Estates".

Madlands Entitlement Club is only "worth it" if you plan to have properly on the Madlands. If you don't, well, it's a lot less useful.

The fees for club membership, also, are NOT what keeps SL open. Take owning a full sim for example.

A Madlander pays their $1 a month, for Club membership (after stipend cashback) and $175 in tier.

An Islander pays $249 a month in maintenance.

Which is larger, $1 + $175, or $249?

It could have been $195 if they weren't too cheap to pay the $600 buydown fee. Looks like they have now paid that $600 twice  over now if they are still paying $249 a month.

And there is no reason a full mainland sim should cost as much per month as an estate sim, you don't get estate manager rights on mainland.

All those reasons you denounce mainland are the same reasons it makes mainland desirable.

Anyone would be crazy to rent a 4096 on a nasty overcrowded estate sim with ban lines, privacy screens and 100 m high land walls when for the same price you can have a lovely isolated parcel in the middle of a vast empty plain.

No neighbors, no lag.... sound like heaven to me.

Edited by Phorumities
changed my mind and restored original
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Anyone would be crazy to rent a 4096 on a nasty overcrowded estate sim with ban lines, privacy screens and 100 m high land walls when for the same price you can have a lovely isolated parcel in the middle of a vast empty plain

This is classic...

Those hypothetical 4096's are no more crowded than the 512's on an Entitlement Club Housing Ghetto. Madlands sims also have banlines, and privacy screens/boxes. And most estate sims are NOT covered in 100 m high dirt walls.

But my favorite bit of your distorted hypocritical BS...

you can have a lovely isolated parcel in the middle of a vast empty plain

Remind me again who started a Madlander Entitlement Club Whiner thread about selling Madlands parcels off for L$1 per parcel to encourage the abandonment of the estates and the resurrection of the Madlands, filling it with people again.

Oh, wait, I remember now, that was YOU.

So you want all the empty land in the Madlands sold off and used, EXCEPT the empty land surrounding YOUR cheap ass plot...

Rhetorical Question: Do you "Spew Hypocrisy" much these days?

It could have been $195 if they weren't too cheap to pay the $600 buydown fee

The buydown fee you could only pay during the buydown sale, a few years back, that's unavailable now, and can't be applied to sims created AFTER the sale ended?

6 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

This is classic...

Those hypothetical 4096's are no more crowded than the 512's on an Entitlement Club Housing Ghetto. Madlands sims also have banlines, and privacy screens/boxes. And most estate sims are NOT covered in 100 m high dirt walls.

But my favorite bit of your distorted hypocritical BS...

Remind me again who started a Madlander Entitlement Club Whiner thread about selling Madlands parcels off for L$1 per parcel to encourage the abandonment of the estates and the resurrection of the Madlands, filling it with people again.

Oh, wait, I remember now, that was YOU.

So you want all the empty land in the Madlands sold off and used, EXCEPT the empty land surrounding YOUR cheap ass plot...

The buydown fee you could only pay during the buydown sale, a few years back, that's unavailable now, and can't be applied to sims created AFTER the sale ended?

actually my parcel is surrounded by land being sold by landflippers for the low low price of only $6 L per sqm. They forgot that if they could by land direct from LL for $1 L per then so can anyone else , but there they sit, holding onto their dreams of 500 % profit.

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

actually my parcel is surrounded by land being sold by landflippers

Remind me again which Hypocrisy spewing Madlands Entitlment Club member, has waged a multi-thread multi alt war against Land-Flippers, in a bid to eradicate them?

Oh wait... That would be YOU...

So, the "best feature" of the Madlands is living alone on an empty sim because the people YOU constantly want to destroy own a lot of empty land around YOUR house, that keeps away the people YOU are constantly trying to encourage to live on the Madlands...

Another of these topics with some of the usual users airing their usual opinions on the matter - some good, others so negative as to better be used as the heart of a black hole.

Oh and some of the usual faulty math that pretends "potential" gains are an automatic savings ... How quaint! The only math that matters: Cost of each Premium Level, per year with any applicable taxes factored in as well as any other costs from anything outside of Second Life - that last bit being why I chose to stay at Monthly. It's easier for me to manage 9.50 a month alongside other expenses and potential emergencies than it would be to be down by an additional 60 plus for a month.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh and some of the usual faulty math that pretends "potential" gains are an automatic savings ... How quaint! The only math that matters: Cost of each Premium Level, per year with any applicable taxes factored in as well as any other costs from anything outside of Second Life

Exactly... Is Entitlement Club worth it?

Depends on how you plan to pay, and how much Madlands you plan to own.

It can be worth it, but it's not "automatic savings", you have to work out the cost vs the benefits to you (if any) on a case-by-case basis for your self.

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Remind me again which Hypocrisy spewing Madlands Entitlment Club member, has waged a multi-thread multi alt war against Land-Flippers, in a bid to eradicate them?

Oh wait... That would be YOU...

So, the "best feature" of the Madlands is living alone on an empty sim because the people YOU constantly want to destroy own a lot of empty land around YOUR house, that keeps away the people YOU are constantly trying to encourage to live on the Madlands...

maybe i floated the whole idea of $1 L parcels so i could effortlessly abandon my current parcel and get another more to my liking for only $1 L

The REAL value in the Premium Membership lies in its IMMEDIATE infusion of stimuli into the confusing life of the newbie.  It provides both an anchor and many doorways.  It provides sudden opportunities -- you need furnishings for your new home, for instance -- and that drives you along the learning curve and into many different purposes, directions and discoveries.  It's rather an ingenious and helpful device.  It has real value.

I've never used the Premium Membership but I've witnessed it's good effect on newbies.  If I came in as a newbie now, knowing what I know, I would take the Premium and launch forth on my new and intriguing learning curve.

• Like 2

You also need to be Premium to acquire an Experience.

Allegedly, later on you will also have to be Premium to purchase additional experiences and even grid-scope experiences.

Larger sized script compiling is allegedly going to be tied to experiences as well.

Allegedly still, later on Premium accounts will be able to attach more than 38 objects.

Certainly a lot of alleged stuff on the horizon, heh.

SL is my great pleasure, and I share it with my partner.  I set myself a budget of $100 US per month, some may think this high, but it suits me - considering I don't party or splurge in RL.

That goes roughly 50% for my mainland tier, and 50% for spending money.  Being premium is a no-braner (virtual-world cosmologically speaking, search 'brane') for me.

I get a home on a road, a base, some extra cash, and because I play GTFO! too, I get visitors.

18 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Another of these topics with some of the usual users airing their usual opinions on the matter - some good, others so negative as to better be used as the heart of a black hole.

Oh and some of the usual faulty math that pretends "potential" gains are an automatic savings ... How quaint! The only math that matters: Cost of each Premium Level, per year with any applicable taxes factored in as well as any other costs from anything outside of Second Life - that last bit being why I chose to stay at Monthly. It's easier for me to manage 9.50 a month alongside other expenses and potential emergencies than it would be to be down by an additional 60 plus for a month.

As far as the deal with linden lab,and the yearly fee for premium..Lindens can be traded in the real world and are a real world currency and a cost,they have a real world value..

If I'm giving them 72.00 a year and they are giving me an amount that is greater than 72.00 a year back.. How is that  pretending when it's a real world value?

Just because it doesn't leave the world doesn't take away it's real world cost or value.. If they didn't give me 400 a week,then to get 400 is going to cost $3.09 in real world dollars..

It's not about what the total cost of SL is..It's about how much is the premium membership actually costing me or saving me?

If I go and spend a 100 dollars on lindens,or go buy a dog from the guy down the street...That still doesn't phase  what premium is costing or saving me..

Because I could do both with or without a premium membership.

ETA:I'm just going to add this because this is how I see it..

If I left sl for a year but kept my premium going and that whole time they are still giving me 400 a week in lindens,then come back when my premium is due and cash out and pay for another year..It didn't cost me a thing to be premium.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I bought §L all the time before I became Premium. At lest for 40 UDS every month.

Since I did the big jump and got me and my army of alts in Premium, I remember I bought L just twice, and that is since Easter.

I (me and alts) get 7200 L in stipend every month, that makes buying L much less frequent.

So I could continue to pay a landlord, buy L to shop for, and have not one of the other benefits. Mainland isn't so pretty, but ordinary Estates can have eyesores too.

I remember that I enjoyed Fruit islands, bacause of their strict covenant and restrictions. But that has to be one of the most expensive places to rent. I think I paid over 10 000 pr month, first month has to be paid in full. No eyesores, but as long as I can derender, and don't bother so much about what goes on around me.

I think it is ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

As far as the deal with linden lab,and the yearly fee for premium..Lindens can be traded in the real world and are a real world currency and a cost,they have a real world value..

If I'm giving them 72.00 a year and they are giving me an amount that is greater than 72.00 a year back.. How is that  pretending when it's a real world value?

Just because it doesn't leave the world doesn't take away it's real world cost or value.. If they didn't give me 400 a week,then to get 400 is going to cost $3.09 in real world dollars..

It's not about what the total cost of SL is..It's about how much is the premium membership actually costing me or saving me?

If I go and spend a 100 dollars on lindens,or go buy a dog from the guy down the street...That still doesn't phase  what premium is costing or saving me..

Because I could do both with or without a premium membership.

ETA:I'm just going to add this because this is how I see it..

If I left sl for a year but kept my premium going and that whole time they are still giving me 400 a week in lindens,then come back when my premium is due and cash out and pay for another year..It didn't cost me a thing to be premium.

Just like clockwork ...

Lindens are worthless anywhere outside of Second Life and if Linden Lab ever closes down the service/goes out of business/they decide to stop "selling" them or "buying" them back. They are valueless tokens that Linden Lab allows the users to convert back to cash at a rate of their choosing. Argue that they have value all you (general) want - you're wrong and the varied reasons why have been covered to death in the varied threads where this has come up in the past.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Just like clockwork ...

Lindens are worthless anywhere outside of Second Life and if Linden Lab ever closes down the service/goes out of business/they decide to stop "selling" them or "buying" them back. They are valueless tokens that Linden Lab allows the users to convert back to cash at a rate of their choosing. Argue that they have value all you (general) want - you're wrong and the varied reasons why have been covered to death in the varied threads where this has come up in the past.

I just know that while the wheels are spinning,I'm not wrong.. The question was,is premium worth it..Not,how much does my whole SL cost me..

Because i could walk away for a year,come back ,cash out,pay my premium with what they gave me for that year, and have pocket change to boot..

I'm not arguing,Because there really isn't anything to argue about..I'm just explaining from experience what I can do when I come back after being gone for a year..

Doesn't matter how many threads say I can't.. It only matters that I can..

I'm not speaking for everybody..Some people get different amounts..

It's not an expense if it pays for itself,if I can walk away with money in my pocket after hitting a real world exchange,it's profit of real money.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just know that while the wheels are spinning,I'm not wrong.. The question was,is premium worth it..Not,how much does my whole SL cost me..

Because i could walk away for a year,come back ,cash out,pay my premium with what they gave me for that year, and have pocket change to boot..

I'm not arguing,Because there really isn't anything to argue about..I'm just explaining from experience what I can do when I come back after being gone for a year..

Doesn't matter how many threads say I can't.. It only matters that I can..

I'm not speaking for everybody..Some people get different amounts..

The fact remains that your response was not at all phrased as though you were speaking only for yourself. You framed and phrased it in such a manner as to suggest there is some intrinsic value to the Linden Dollar. Like many that do as you do with regard to storing them up, you phrased your description of the practice as though it was something done on a regular basis by most Premium users.

Yes, the question was "Is Premium worth it" and the answer is - It Depends. You can list why it is to you and what you do with it that makes it worth it to you but you simply cannot treat that information as if it is the norm or as if all bits of it are true for each and every user.

You save up your tokens and use the system that Linden Lab put into place and allows to continue to exist to subsidize/supplement your Premium. Lovely! Some will, most won't. doesn't really change much in the end.

55 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The fact remains that your response was not at all phrased as though you were speaking only for yourself. You framed and phrased it in such a manner as to suggest there is some intrinsic value to the Linden Dollar. Like many that do as you do with regard to storing them up, you phrased your description of the practice as though it was something done on a regular basis by most Premium users.

Yes, the question was "Is Premium worth it" and the answer is - It Depends. You can list why it is to you and what you do with it that makes it worth it to you but you simply cannot treat that information as if it is the norm or as if all bits of it are true for each and every user.

You save up your tokens and use the system that Linden Lab put into place and allows to continue to exist to subsidize/supplement your Premium. Lovely! Some will, most won't. doesn't really change much in the end.

I seem to see me referring to myself in most of my first post and last one..Because i know my deal with them..The part about them having real world value is because there is a real world exchange just like with any real currency..

I just know what I can do with my account..it doesn't mean I do..That' is besides the point of it being real or not..

I know lindens cost me money when I buy them ,so there is a real world cost, and i can sell them for money,so real world value..

How someone budgets themselves is irrelevant..

I'm not knocking anyone for paying 9.95 a month or anything..I'm just replying to say, I'm not pretending or being mythical when it comes to my savings..because even if I were to buy lindens each year all year long..I'm still spending 72.00 or more,less a year on them even if I didn't cash out..

I didn't do the math for anyone else but myself..

I just thought it was funny the very first time I did the math and seen how much it actually cost me a year for premium..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

the same can also be said for any RL fiat currency. RL currency has no intrinsic value either. Currency is a fiction, which people treat as a truth until the RL issuing regime collapses. Regime banknotes, coins, bank ledger entries, all worthless

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.