Second life for tablet/pc.

felixrose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm getting a friend of mine a tablet for her birthday, or possibly a pc depending. I only have about $100 to spend, maybe $150.

I was wondering if there was any chance of being able to run second life on one, and if so could someone give me some recommendations. Would I need to run an app?

I realized from what ive read so-far it's far fetched but I just thought Id exhaust all possibilities. 

10 answers to this question

Tablets don't 'run' SL viewers. But, they can do a remote desktop thing or Bright Canopy. Meaning another computer runs the viewer and the tablet accesses the other computer.

You might find a used PC for US$100-150 that would run SL. Probably not well. EBay is where I would look. I suspect you'll have to be in teh $250 to $350 range to run SL on medium to low settings.

For general Internet the Chromebooks work well and they are cheap. But, unfortunately they won't run any SL viewer.

• Like 2

To be perfectly honest it won't run on a tablet at all, but it will run on a PC or laptop providing it meets the minimum requirements, be forewarned that minimum requirements translate into minimum performance, so it might pay to spend a tab extra to go above those base requirements a bit. Second Life tends to be pretty hard on even the best computer so try to keep this in mind when you're looking for one for your friend. There are third party viewers that only do text and limited graphics, but it tends to defeat the idea of enjoying Second Life as whole, but does work in a pinch.

Felicia

8 hours ago, barbie Pedalo said:

It will run fine. I use a thing called the lumiya viewer off play store. But i downloaded the .apk file for free off google because it costs money on google play. But i play second life on my phone using lumiya everyday 

Aside from any concerns about Lumiya's safety, I would not say "it will run fine."  Lumiya is a remarkable accomplishment, but even so, it is severely limited compared to a regular viewer running on a PC.  It does not have any building or editing tools or land management tools.  It has a graphical interface, but it's very limited in what it can display and in its quality.  There is no Windlight, and no environment editor.  Lumiya is like a Swiss Army Knife; it has some basic tools and it's handy for times when you don't have anything else, but it will never be a replacement for real tools.

Unless you plan on doing something unethical to get the full SL to run on a tablet, none are really capable of supporting a program as heavy as this game. There aren’t any for iPads, but I do believe there is a text app viewer for android devices. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.