Sign in to follow this  

In RL I wrote a song. I then recorded it to my computer in my own voice. I uploaded it to SL to use for myself. I am now thinking about putting it in market for others to buy (copy, no mod, no trans). My question is, should I have a copyright put on it before putting it in the market or was that done when I uploaded it to SL?

If you are in the United States you don't have to do anything: everything you created is automatically copyrighted. The only question is whether you've registered that copyright with the U.S. Government (that's what the circle-R means when you see it: a registered copyright). A circle-C simply means it is not registered. Also, copyright law in the U.S. does not require a circle-C to be on display to protect a copyright. And also do not confuse copyright with trademark or patent: copyright only protects your *work*, not the name or other intangibles of your product.

However, you don't register copyrights for audio. Rather you register their publication (which is why you see a circle-P instead of a circle-R on music) - just by uploading it to SL it is technically published. Y=Though you would use a circle-C unless you register it then you would use a circle-P (a circle-P is the audio equivalent of a circle-R if I remember correctly - it's been a while since I had to know all this stuff on a daily basis.)

If you sell it or give it away no-modify and no transfer that should protect it well enough, though why no-modify? The only thing anyone could do is rename the file; that cannot change the creator. As for copying the music: if they can hear it then they can copy it, if they can see it then... you get the idea.

Edited by Alyona Su