New

Nandhe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Nandhe said:

Hello

What happened with my mainland when my premium expires?

your premium can not expire, by subscribing to that you agreed to keep paying till you downgrade to basic again.
If you removed your payment method, and not downgrade, your account will go on hold ( totally locked) till you pay, and you will loose the land.

You can not start the downgrade to basic as long you hold land. Have to sell or abandon it before the downgrade to basic will start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

If you removed your payment method, and not downgrade, your account will go on hold ( totally locked) till you pay, and you will loose the land.

Right, although I'm not sure how soon the land will be taken and abandoned by the Lab. It won't be right away because they're clearly hoping the lapsed owner will come back and pay-up, but of course the longer the land is retained, the more arrears tier it accrues to the account, so the more it would cost to get back into SL -- even just to revert the account to basic.

As to what specifically happens to the land when it's force-abandoned: Usually everything gets returned (after a day or so?) and the settings revert to the current standard for abandoned land (auto-return, etc), but the terraforming typically remains as-is until the land is either sold or sent to auction.

6 hours ago, Nandhe said:

Hello

What happened with my mainland when my premium expires?

Two "confused" reactions. I keep forgetting a lot of people don't know about sharing their "tier" with a group, so I'll simplify for the newbies and simple-minded: Also be sure you are not donating any of your Land-Use fees to a group.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

In addition to what those above have mentioned: if you downgrade your account from premium (through your account page at SecondLife.com) - you will lose any mainland you own *immediately* unless it is deeded to a group, though the rest of your Premium benefits will continue until the renewal date and stop only then (because you have downgraded to basic).

As far as I know you are unable to downgrade your account as long as you own any land.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

As far as I know you are unable to downgrade your account as long as you own any land.

That's good to know and I would presume the same thing if you are donating "tier" to a group, yes?

I can see it working this way from an under-the-hood technical perspective.

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Right, although I'm not sure how soon the land will be taken and abandoned by the Lab. It won't be right away because they're clearly hoping the lapsed owner will come back and pay-up, but of course the longer the land is retained, the more arrears tier it accrues to the account, so the more it would cost to get back into SL -- even just to revert the account to basic.

In my experiences i used to know someone who claimed for what ever reason couldn't pay tier they got locked out of SL never seen again and it was a couple of years before their land adjoining freebie dungeon was reclaimed by LL as abandoned and everything returned.
Had something similar happen with "free land" the owner vanished from SL and it was a good year or two before all the sims making up "free land" got reclaimed, abandoned and everything returned 
then most recently for 8-9 years on my home sim there there used to be an animation store never saw sight nor sound of the owner or anyone connected to it, it never changed one day it went in to Gov linden ownership had ban lines round it for a good week before everything got returned and abandoned 

so any mainland you have can be a very long time in arrears before it's reclaimed  as abandoned and cleaned out

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Two "confused" reactions. I keep forgetting a lot of people don't know about sharing their "tier" with a group, so I'll simplify for the newbies and simple-minded: Also be sure you are not donating any of your Land-Use fees to a group.

no it's because you gave information that wasn't right, as still shows in Chic's response on you.

( and editted later.)

Edited by Ethan Paslong

6 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no it's because you gave information that wasn't right, as still shows in Chic's response on you.

( and editted later.)

Another example of people reading but not properly comprehending what they've read. I mentioned in my post that I wasn't sure how it worked and that my commentary was generally a hypothesis. As for the quoted sections: those are partial quotes and not the full post. 

~shrugs~

21 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Another example of people reading but not properly comprehending what they've read. I mentioned in my post that I wasn't sure how it worked and that my commentary was generally a hypothesis. As for the quoted sections: those are partial quotes and not the full post. 

~shrugs~

posting wrong hypothesises as answer while the right answers are in more than one post above it asks for confusing emoticons... it's why they are there.

~coughs~

On 8/14/2018 at 6:17 AM, Qie Niangao said:

I'm not sure how soon the land will be taken and abandoned by the Lab.

Based on a good friend that donated tier to my land group, when her payment method became invalid (credit card expired), her account was locked within a week roughly, but the tier donation did not disappear from my land group for somewhere from 4-6 months.  My guess is that they would thus hold the land for at least that long.  Though I did read somewhere that if the land is in a group, rather than individually owned, that it can end up staying group owned (with the group having negative tier) for a long, long time.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 8/14/2018 at 9:48 AM, Syo Emerald said:

On 8/14/2018 at 9:52 AM, Alyona Su said:

That's good to know and I would presume the same thing if you are donating "tier" to a group, yes?

Correct - the system will not allow you to downgrade as long as you are using tier in any way, via direct land ownership or via donation to a group.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on a good friend that donated tier to my land group, when her payment method became invalid (credit card expired), her account was locked within a week roughly, but the tier donation did not disappear from my land group for somewhere from 4-6 months.  My guess is that they would thus hold the land for at least that long.  Though I did read somewhere that if the land is in a group, rather than individually owned, that it can end up staying group owned (with the group having negative tier) for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Correct - the system will not allow you to downgrade as long as you are using tier in any way, via direct land ownership or via donation to a group.

Thia all makes sense, though I hadn't realized that a deficit in Group-donated land fees would go that long. But that also makes sense as I've always said since 10 years ago that no matter how much anyone wants to bash Linden Lab over policies or decisions, they are not stupid and always err on the "safe side" giving the benefit of the doubt in everything. Only when there is something provable without question will they drop any hammers on heads.

This is why whenever anyone rants about how they were "wronged" by Linden Lab I always snort first, laugh second, roll my eyes third, then I may break out my micro viola. Becuase most people try to make themselves out to be the victim while leaving out the juicy details of the other side of every coin. Snowflakes, you gotta love 'em. Not. LOL

On 8/15/2018 at 9:56 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on a good friend that donated tier to my land group, when her payment method became invalid (credit card expired), her account was locked within a week roughly, but the tier donation did not disappear from my land group for somewhere from 4-6 months.

That's how to run a successful mainland rental business then:

• Pay somebody (you really don't want this to be easily traceable to yourself) a few dollars to open a month's premium account. Or maybe buy an old unused account (yes, it is possible).
  • Get them to sign up for a whole sim's worth of tier and donate it all to your group.
  • Keep doing it over and over again and make sure you always have plenty of tier to spare.

Immoral, yes. Illegal, yes. But it should be possible to keep the cost down to less than a hundred dollars a year per sim this way.

I wonder if anybody actually does it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That's how to run a successful mainland rental business then:

• Pay somebody (you really don't want this to be easily traceable to yourself) a few dollars to open a month's premium account. Or maybe buy an old unused account (yes, it is possible).
  • Get them to sign up for a whole sim's worth of tier and donate it all to your group.
  • Keep doing it over and over again and make sure you always have plenty of tier to spare.

Immoral, yes. Illegal, yes. But it should be possible to keep the cost down to less than a hundred dollars a year per sim this way.

I wonder if anybody actually does it.

I know of one instance where the owner of a large rental company had her account frozen and all her lands confiscated by LL; however, those renting the land were not thrown out of their homes but rather that land was closed to all except for group access and the renters given at least two months to move, it might have been longer. I'm fairly certain the person who lost their account and rental business had been engaged in fraudulent behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 10:29 AM, Alyona Su said:

I don't see an advantage to assume some readers of this forum are "simple minded" . We all ask questions here in search of an answer,  because we do not know the answer, not because we are mentally deficient.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.