Copy your Avatar into a Mesh Statue?

Jolene Merlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am just wondering...

Is there  a way to create a copy of my mesh/bento Avatar with its mesh/bento head, including its existing skin textures, eyes, hair, etc... and re upload it into SL and make it be a mesh statue?

Or would it be easier to just make an Alternate account,  name it "statue of etc" and basically just buy the same mesh body, head, hair, etc for it, give it the same shape.... and set it on a pose stand and call it a statue?                                                                                                     

10 answers to this question

47 minutes ago, Jolene Merlin said:

I am just wondering...

Is there  a way to create a copy of my mesh/bento Avatar with its mesh/bento head, including its existing skin textures, eyes, hair, etc... and re upload it into SL and make it be a mesh statue?

Or would it be easier to just make an Alternate account,  name it "statue of etc" and basically just buy the same mesh body, head, hair, etc for it, give it the same shape.... and set it on a pose stand and call it a statue?                                                                                                     

You can't download someone else's mesh legally -- or any of the other things that go into what you are looking for.

Mesh statues can be made of course but the person that makes them needs to have the body and other parts to do that. One person does this in Opensim and gives them away. Very pretty.  Aine Caoimhe was the maker. She is apparently no longer in Opensim but you can still see the photos of her statues if you look her up :D.  I have a few in my inventory "somewhere" over there :D. 

3 minutes ago, Jolene Merlin said:

Though, sounds like I would just be better off doing it with an alt account and sticking the avatar on a pose stand/pose ball to fill the role of being a statue.

I suppose that's a solution if you plan on having the alt stay logged in all the time and don't mind dealing with what happens to her during a region restart.  Another low-cost option might be to create a life-sized static particle display of your av and drive it with a script -- sort of a sci-fi holograph style "statue".  Put the right kind of atmospheric effects around it and it could be pretty cool.

There is no good way to copy a mesh avatar. The classic avatar can be exported.

While it is possible to rez all your mesh body parts and piece them together for a statue, you will be missing the SHAPE. Some mesh makers add a script to keep their work from being rezzed in-world. It can only be attached. So, that may not be possible.

To get a statue that looks like your avatar wearing its mesh body parts... not happening for now.

Those dev's attending the Content Creators meetings are asking for animesh that uses shapes. I expect to get that feature just before we get mirrors. Even if that does happen, it still may not work as we would like.

This is perhaps the first legitimate use I've heard of for a copybot-equipped viewer.

Unfortunately, such viewers are illegal, and their use can get you banned.  Not to mention that the suppliers of many of them infest them with malware that could give you serious problems.

• Like 1

It is important to understand that while you purchased a mesh body, you only have rights to USE it in SL. You do not have copyright or any terms of use that lets you export said body parts. You would also need a way to texture the body parts to look like a statue. So while an interesting idea, it is likely that your skill level isn't up there. 

And those statues I pointed you too aren't around on the home sim any longer.  :D  I was just showing you (OP) what was possible IF you made your own avatar. 

7 hours ago, Jolene Merlin said:

This would be the way. You can use something like Corrade, or even a text mode viewer, so that it stays on without the load of a full viewer stressing your graphics card.

If you collar the alt you will be able to move it, sit it, teleport it, and so on.

If all your attachments are mod, you could make Animesh "statues" of yourself.

Granted, you'll also have to use low tri count objects until LL raises the tri count cap and starts using the land impact calc that was designed for Animesh instead, that is, unless you don't mind naked statues, heh

Here's an Animesh version of myself: https://i.imgur.com/IV1MWTb.gifv

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

I have no intention of copying legitimate protected work of someone else... I'm a content creator myself, doing occasional custom build work on commission.

I just want a statue of my avatar to put in the "HQ" that I'm building, for a Roleplay group that I lead.

A friend suggested that I just take a picture of my Avatar in the pose that I want; against a "green screen" background or whatever.  Then save it to PC and use GIMP to edit/modify it, eliminate all the background color and making it an Alpha texture; re-upload into SL and stick it into an object with a holo projection script.  This is probably the option I'll do until I can afford the expense of outfitting an Alt with all the same key items (mesh body/head/skin applier/etc).. as I already have an Alt within the same Group, that I use on a Text Viewer.

Edited by Jolene Merlin

I once experimented with a program that could be used to create a mesh model of a real object. It worked by you taking a ton of digital pictures  from  every possible   angle, uploading them into the program, and letting it generate  3D computer model. I didn't have the patience to get this to work well, but i did get a so so model,  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.