DAE Parsing Issue?

TheMadAlice03

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone!

So, I designed a few stuff in Marvelous Designer using the new Bento skeleton as my avatar base. After saving my creation, I opened it up in Maya and saved it as fbx and then converted it to DAE. Everything was fine up until here.

But now when I try to upload my mesh into SL, I get this "DAE parsing issue" error and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

I'm fairly new to uploading mesh to SL. I used to create clothes and accessories for my 3D models (for Poser), but not for SL. 

I want to mention that I didn't have this problem with another creation I did using only Maya. A simple choker, followed the same steps, converted, etc. I could upload it just fine. But with the creations from Marvelous Designer, I get this error.

Can someone give an advice? Thank you very much!

Edited by TheMadAlice03

7 minutes ago, Lara Aulder said:

Do you know how to use Blender? Maybe you can try in Blender and see if the error continues.

I made a google search and there's a lot of topics about that here

I'm not that familiar with Blender, but I'll have a look.

Thank you for the links and the video!

Could it be that maybe it's too heavy? Someone suggested that items from Marvelous Designer are quite heavy, and maybe that's the problem. I didn't have any problems when uploading the choker from Maya, even though some of the things on it were mirrored. But it was smaller, so less heavy.

Edited by TheMadAlice03

2 minutes ago, TheMadAlice03 said:

I'm not that familiar with Blender, but I'll have a look.

Thank you for the links and the video!

Could it be that maybe it's too heavy? Someone suggested that items from Marvelous Designer are quite heavy, and maybe that's the problem. I didn't have any problems when uploading the choker from Maya, even though some of the things on it were mirrored. But it was smaller, so less heavy.

You welcome.  I've had a similar problem when uploading for the game, I tried to reduce the quality, but still get the error. 
There's a lot of heavy pieces in SL, somehow they can upload without any issues. But yes, maybe this could be the problem, if your piece is big and heavy. Try to put something between 10 and 20 in Particle Distance on MD. 

TYPICAL CAUSES FOR THIS ISSUE

SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN OBJECT NAMES

Most dangerous characters are: & < ! > # $ ‘ “

RESOLUTION:

Remove special characters in Object names and then export again

SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN FILE NAMES

Most dangerous characters are: & < ! > # $ ( * ) [ ] { } ‘ “

RESOLUTION:

Remove special characters in file names (renaming the .dae file should be enough)

EXTREMELY DENSE MESHES

Please check if your mesh contains areas with very small triangles (edge length smaller than about 1 millimeter)

RESOLUTION:

Try to avoid high resolution meshes. You are doing better when you put high density into textures and normal maps (Normal maps are now supported by Second Life)

ORPHANED EDGES AND VERTICES

If your mesh contains edges which do not belong to any face or disconnected vertices.

RESOLUTION:

Remove these edges and vertices.
Hint: in Edit mode Select -> Non Manifold to find candidates. You may want to disable the “boundary” option in the operator panel.

DUPLICATE VERTICES

If your mesh contains duplicate vertices this can cause issues. However sometimes duplicate verts are on purpose (for example when you use the split edge modifier in Blender 2.73 or older) so you need to test if this issue is caused by split edge or by accidental duplicates.

RESOLUTION:

Remove the duplicate vertices.
Hint: in Edit mode ‘W’ -> Remove Doubles to delete the duplicates.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/blender/dae-parsing-issue/

Hope it helps to fix your problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Lara Aulder said:

You welcome.  I've had a similar problem when uploading for the game, I tried to reduce the quality, but still get the error. 
There's a lot of heavy pieces in SL, somehow they can upload without any issues. But yes, maybe this could be the problem, if your piece is big and heavy. Try to put something between 10 and 20 in Particle Distance on MD. 

TYPICAL CAUSES FOR THIS ISSUE

SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN OBJECT NAMES

Most dangerous characters are: & < ! > # $ ‘ “

RESOLUTION:

Remove special characters in Object names and then export again

SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN FILE NAMES

Most dangerous characters are: & < ! > # $ ( * ) [ ] { } ‘ “

RESOLUTION:

Remove special characters in file names (renaming the .dae file should be enough)

EXTREMELY DENSE MESHES

Please check if your mesh contains areas with very small triangles (edge length smaller than about 1 millimeter)

RESOLUTION:

Try to avoid high resolution meshes. You are doing better when you put high density into textures and normal maps (Normal maps are now supported by Second Life)

ORPHANED EDGES AND VERTICES

If your mesh contains edges which do not belong to any face or disconnected vertices.

RESOLUTION:

Remove these edges and vertices.
Hint: in Edit mode Select -> Non Manifold to find candidates. You may want to disable the “boundary” option in the operator panel.

DUPLICATE VERTICES

If your mesh contains duplicate vertices this can cause issues. However sometimes duplicate verts are on purpose (for example when you use the split edge modifier in Blender 2.73 or older) so you need to test if this issue is caused by split edge or by accidental duplicates.

RESOLUTION:

Remove the duplicate vertices.
Hint: in Edit mode ‘W’ -> Remove Doubles to delete the duplicates.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/blender/dae-parsing-issue/

Hope it helps to fix your problem.

Thank you so much, I'll give it a try later and see if any of these work for me.

Many thanks again!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, DrakeNekron said:

It's my first time working with either Blender or mesh uploads, so I'm finding all this confusing. I'm just trying to upload a cluster of egg shaped prims, but getting the dea parsing issue. What could be causing it?

See the notes above obviously :D.  Did you JOIN the eggs before exporting?  Also apply location, rotation and scale before exporting. And you likely need a physics model (a plain cube will work). 

Step by Step videos in playlist are here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8u00idO1kA&list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

50 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

See the notes above obviously :D.  Did you JOIN the eggs before exporting?  Also apply location, rotation and scale before exporting. And you likely need a physics model (a plain cube will work). 

Step by Step videos in playlist are here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8u00idO1kA&list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

I joined the eggs and tried importing the set to Blender. Unfortunately, the whole set was way over scale and all the same color (i painted them individually and added some cool color effects in 3d builder.) I'm just trying to convert the file to collada, but im worried the color sceme will still be messed up. Suggestions?

28 minutes ago, DrakeNekron said:

I joined the eggs and tried importing the set to Blender. Unfortunately, the whole set was way over scale and all the same color (i painted them individually and added some cool color effects in 3d builder.) I'm just trying to convert the file to collada, but im worried the color sceme will still be messed up. Suggestions?

Have no idea what 3D builder is but many "easy" (LOL) 3D programs do not transfer well into Blender without a lot of work -- and sometimes never.   I thought you had built the egg group WITHIN BLENDER.   My best guess is that this isn't going to work well and certainly the cool color effects will likely be lost.   Sorry.  

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Have no idea what 3D builder is but many "easy" (LOL) 3D programs do not transfer well into Blender without a lot of work -- and sometimes never.   I thought you had built the egg group WITHIN BLENDER.   My best guess is that this isn't going to work well and certainly the cool color effects will likely be lost.   Sorry.  

it's the Microsoft 3d imager that was built into my laptop. Easy to work with but doesnt save as collada. So basically i'll need to figure out how to work with Blender or just stick to prim building in sl?

8 minutes ago, DrakeNekron said:

it's the Microsoft 3d imager that was built into my laptop. Easy to work with but doesnt save as collada. So basically i'll need to figure out how to work with Blender or just stick to prim building in sl?

Most likely. I think that 3D program in Windows is NOT for "game assets" but other uses.   

My videos work with up to 2.79 Blender. Big changes in 2.8 so they won't work for that I expect and would just be confusing. NOT redoing them for 2.8. Not even sure I will update -- certainly not for awhile.

Good luck!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.