Are you able to get your L back when someone commits fraud?

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought a tank off this scammer... the name is in my ticket not sure if I filled it in the correct spot. But the short story is...

This tank is actually MESHED by the co owner of bloodlines. No joke heres a picture.

6cb5f8ff1b.png

I reported this to bloodlines... because this is a first for me. But how did a scammer get ahold of a Co owners tank then put a false script in it to resell/scam people like me charging 3k lindon. Can I get any help for this? Like can I atleast get their IP address banned from the scammers.

((In addition, In case anyone wanted to know.... or curious here's the originals inside the store. Meshed by the same man so others will make this mistake as well is lindens don't fix it....Like I'm quite speechless this is a first for me.))

a5ab058fbd.jpg

Edited by Haselden

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is why only object creators can file DMCA actions...it's very hard for a third party to know whether an item has been stolen, or if it was legitimately obtained.

And there is the bottom line.  The OP here is making an accusation but does not have the right to file a DCMA complaint because he is not the creator.  His support case will likely be ignored. Only the creator can know what permissions were set on the original object and whether any changes have been made without his permission.  The object's current permissions only tell you how they were set by the current owner -- the seller -- not by the creator.  As Chic pointed out, an object's perms are determined by the most restrictive permissions on any one of its components.  A scripter's no mod script in the object will automatically make the object no mod, even if the object itself was originally modifiable.  If the script is not working properly, the OP should take all of the normal steps to reset it and then, if it's still not working, send a polite note to the seller to ask for help.

Edited by Rolig Loon

9 hours ago, Haselden said:

But how did a scammer get ahold of a Co owners tank then put a false script in it to resell/scam people like me charging 3k lindon. Can I get any help for this?

It's common practice for Vampire Hud Blood system "Juice Tanks" be they blood, mana, moonlight, or whatever (depending on is it vamp, dogboy, demon orwhat), to be sold at extortionate prices on a TRANS/NO-COPY basis.

So ANYONE who has bought a tank, can in theory gift/trade or sell that tank to anyone else..

Further, scripts will only work in script enabled areas, no script sandboxes are an auto fail.

Like can I atleast get their IP address banned from the scammers.

No, you can't.

so others will make this mistake as well is lindens don't fix it

Yes, it's almost certain others will buy tanks and rez them in no script areas and scream... And that LL won't fix this, but fixing user-error isn't a high priority with them, nor is it their job.

Like I'm quite speechless this is a first for me

Some how, I get the impression that this won't be the LAST time you buy something, break it, and demand your money back from somebody who didn't do anything wrong, and demand that LL ban the "scammer".

Call me cynical...

8 hours ago, Haselden said:

...someone made them using some prim from some other item that was transfer / copy / mod that was made by Mars...

It's actually pretty important to practice prim security. If you let a full-perm prim get out it can be used for quite a bit of mischief. Linking it as the root, with a bit of torture so it's hard to see, can make you seem to be the creator of any TOS-violating device or copybotted mesh.

2 hours ago, Haselden said:

I bought a tank off this scammer... the name is in my ticket not sure if I filled it in the correct spot. But the short story is...

This tank is actually MESHED by the co owner of bloodlines. No joke heres a picture.

6cb5f8ff1b.png

I reported this to bloodlines... because this is a first for me. But how did a scammer get ahold of a Co owners tank then put a false script in it to resell/scam people like me charging 3k lindon. Can I get any help for this? Like can I atleast get their IP address banned from the scammers.

((In addition, In case anyone wanted to know.... or curious here's the originals inside the store. Meshed by the same man so others will make this mistake as well is lindens don't fix it....Like I'm quite speechless this is a first for me.))

a5ab058fbd.jpg

The screenshot clearly shows that as a transfer item, so the person owning it could legally sell it to someone else. Also you need to read the forum rules about names and such.    And no, you won't get any money back unless the person that sold you the tank wants to give it to you. 

Who is the creator of the scripts inside the tank?
Right click on the tank:
If using context menu - Object -> Script info
If using pie menu - More -> More -> Scripts -> Script info.

Are all the scripts set to running?  It's possible the tank is kosher but it's broken because the scripts are set to not running.
If you can't get script info to work, recreate the LSL bridge - Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Recreate LSL bridge.

If the item was copybotted, then the scripts in the item don't get copied...only the mesh object itself.  So, a thief could steal a mesh object and then put his own script into it.  Or just sell you the item without the script.

A great many creators routinely sell "blank" mesh items...just the mesh object, and then the purchaser can add textures and scripts, and sell the completed object as a new item.  This is completely legitimate.

This is why only object creators can file DMCA actions...it's very hard for a third party to know whether an item has been stolen, or if it was legitimately obtained.

• Like 1

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

You're right!   I missed that.  Gee, that would probably explain why the scripts don't work.

This happens to me all the time when I go to the beta grid to test something. "Well, the mesh is good, LI is good, materials are good. But why can't I get the touch event to work? Hmmm..."

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This demonstrates my favorite refinement of Hanlon's Razor...

"Never attribute to the malice of others that which can be explained by your own stupidity."

Exactly what I was thinking. My first thought is always, What did I do wrong? Because from experience I have learned I am the source of most of my troubles.

I can’t begin to imagine living in a universe full of scammers and cheaters and griefers always plotting against me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

I can’t begin to imagine living in a universe full of scammers and cheaters and griefers always plotting against me.

It's an ePeener vs ePeener thing... In the ePveP world, EVERYBODY is your enemy until you have spawn-camp-noob-ganked their character enough times to instill fear!

Even your team mates are suspect, as they are probably plotting to let you get 'killed' first, so as to boost their rankings in the combat league table...

;) 

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Read all of the responses in this thread.  9_9

too bad he most likey ignores the one who gave him an answer xD Serves them right, Karma got back on them ... Bloodline-Goreans...

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Haselden said:

In addition, I had my ticket open for almost 24 hours... so far they just told me they can't do anything..... I'm pretty sure i'm posting in the correct spot about this issue as well.. https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/home > Real world payment issues.

"Real world payment issues" isn't for "I spent L$ in a private inworld transaction and didn't get what I thought i did".

It's for exactly what it says... Issues with your RL payments, credit card details stolen or account phished and monies purchased with your paypal, that sort of thing.

You giving money to another person, person to person inworld, is what they call a "resident  to resident" issue, and generally, LL won't touch those, SL has almost NO in-world "consumer protection & trading standards" legislation, other than "buyer beware" advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Why didn't you buy the original thing? 3999 vs 3000 seems to few a saving to me to risk having been had...

that... and it's pretty easy to check if it's a original one, even without checking every prim and script:

ask the selling owner to put security to open for everybody .. if you can't fill or drink from it, it's fake.

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Why didn't you buy the original thing? 3999 vs 3000 seems to few a saving to me to risk having been had...

yeah, sort of wish I had to. Anyway.. I got the conversation of the guy trying to sell more.. So yeah would be nice if my ticket got replied to. Bloodlines is reporting the same player to.

9 hours ago, Klytyna said:

"Real world payment issues" isn't for "I spent L$ in a private inworld transaction and didn't get what I thought i did".

It's for exactly what it says... Issues with your RL payments, credit card details stolen or account phished and monies purchased with your paypal, that sort of thing.

You giving money to another person, person to person inworld, is what they call a "resident  to resident" issue, and generally, LL won't touch those, SL has almost NO in-world "consumer protection & trading standards" legislation, other than "buyer beware" advice.

Eh I got the exact time, and the sandbox where I took the picture in is where I bought it. CLever for a scammer to sell it there. All makes sense now, sell fake tanks in an area where scripts don't even work is pure genius.

Anyway, this is just a first for me. However, I think LL should at least do something like remove that item out of the game the prim (Wormwood crate) the scammers are using to achieve it.

anyway, I'm open to suggestions on who to contact. Been trying to do a few especially since the guy tried selling even more yesterday.

Edited by Haselden

18 minutes ago, Haselden said:

anyway, I'm open to suggestions on who to contact. Been trying to do a few especially since the guy tried selling even more yesterday.

You already got the suggestion several times ....

On 8/13/2018 at 7:17 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

On 8/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Rolig Loon said:

And there is the bottom line.  The OP here is making an accusation but does not have the right to file a DCMA complaint because he is not the creator.  His support case will likely be ignored.

9 hours ago, Klytyna said:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.