GiaMarlow

Please help me understand land purchases

I'm pretty new and thought that I could easily find a nice, out of the way, place to live. Turns out almost everything I've found is overcrowded or in the sky, which led me to start thinking about just buying my own land.

I understand the difference between a full sim and a homestead (and I understand the cost involved), and that I can't own a homestead outright unless I buy the full sim first. Is this true if I'm trying to buy the homestead from another player and not Linden Labs? Do I also need to have a premium account to buy land from another player?

What are the drawbacks to buying land from the classifieds? 

And finally, what's the difference between Mainland and whatever else there is, and is one preferable over the other?

Posted (edited)

I'd point you to the official Linden Lab article on Private Regions* which includes this statement "qualified educators and non-profits are allowed to order a Homestead Region without owning a standard Private Region, unlike regular Residents."  I have no idea what checks LL make on people buying a homestead without owning a full region, but it seems risky to try.  Your choice. You don't need a premium account to buy land on an Estate, though you must have payment info on file, just on the Mainland.  Drawbacks?  LL offer a set list of prices for different kinds of Regions, whereas private sales depend very much on the current market, the mood of the seller, and possibly how close they are to their next tier payment.  The actual selling/buying process is usually safe as it goes through LL - do not buy outside of their service, such as paying MrShonkyAvatar directly to his account or via Paypal or whatever.  The way to do it is to raise a support ticket - the article below tells you exactly how.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Clarification.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GiaMarlow said:

I understand the difference between a full sim and a homestead (and I understand the cost involved), and that I can't own a homestead outright unless I buy the full sim first

Basically, you only need to own a full region first if you are attempting to buy a Homestead at the estate level, that is, to pay monthly maintenance fee directly to LL, in US$.

Alternatively you could simply go to any of the large Estate based rental firms, and RENT a homestead at a parcel level for 7000-8000 ls a week.

If you shop around, you can find bargains, and remember, some of the homestead parcels are on "grandfathered" regions, so the Estate company can offer them at a price thats LESS than you'd pay if you actually bought one your self NOW.

Renting in this manner has NO requirement to own a full sim, or be Premium, or indeed anything other than the ability to drop the rent, in L$ into the rentals box every week.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, GiaMarlow said:

And finally, what's the difference between Mainland and whatever else there is, and is one preferable over the other?

There are Private Regions (full and homesteads) and Mainland.  Primarily, if you own a private region then you pretty much control everything about it and you won't have any neighboring sims unless you add another region - or "maybe" you can request to be next to another existing private region if that owner okays it.  On the mainland, the sims (regions) are next to each other forming continents and you have absolutely no control over what anyone does with their land that might be right next to yours.  Thus you might end up with some really ugly builds right next door.  Some folks don't mind this, but others do.  Additionally, even if you own an entire sim/region on the mainland, you will not have all of the same land rights than a private region owner has.  Also, as mentioned above, you must be Premium to buy Mainland, but you only need payment info to buy a Private Region. 

Side note - when private regions are rented out, they are often advertised as you 'buying' them.  This is just terminology - while you might have a few more land rights than a Mainland owner, you are still technically renting the land because you are paying another SL resident rather than paying LL directly.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell