KarmanElektra

voice chat issues

Question

hey im trying to help a friend with her secondlife voice chat when i looked at it for her its working on my end but there is this annoying screeching sound how do we fix that issue

3 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Feedback, maybe.  Is her mic really close to her speakers?  (Or maybe she has a two-year-old.  My youngest granddaughter can screech loud enough to peel paint.)

Edit:  My granddaughter says that she is THREE. Who am I to argue?

Edited by Rolig Loon

Posted (edited)

Rolig is likely right about it being a feedback problem. This issue can go beyond the viewer and be a Windows or local computer settings issue. So, Google for computer microphone feedback.

If you want to get the newest version of the Linden viewer with voice  updates see: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

Second Life Voice Viewer version 5.1.8.518310 This is an RC version so it should be OK for everyday use. 

Edited by Nalates Urriah

When using voice, there are really only two good options:

1. Use a laptop.  Laptops have built in microphones and speakers, and very good noise cancellation to prevent feedback.
  2. Use a gaming headset, with a boom microphone and (preferably) closed cup style headphones.

Using a desktop microphone and speakers is just asking for a feedback situation.