Literally every script I had been wearing broke.

glennglog22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I was alt tabbed, playing some games with SL on in the background. Then suddenly I heard that sound when a sim's about to restart, so I try to go teleport to another sim, but then I get logged off anyways. And I log back on to find that my AO isn't working, and I can't click anything on my hud, or on any of the clickables on my avatar.

I've tried resetting scripts,
I've tried clearing inventory and normal cache,
I've tried teleporting to another sim,
I've tried flying at least 100 meters up,
I've tried switching avatars back and fourth,
All of which to no avail. I did find that scripts I haven't been wearing at the time did work.

I'm at my wit's end. I don't want to replace everything that's been affected by this.

My viewer is Firestorm-Releasex64 5.1.7.55786.

Edit: Problem solved! Scroll down to the very bottom.

Edited by glennglog22

14 answers to this question

This is one of the best reasons for having a backup for scripted things like your AO, or for using the built-in AO that's in the Firestorm viewer.  A region restart should not affect scripts, unless they are scripted to reset on region restart.  Otherwise, scripts retain their previous state and go right on doing what they did before.  Even though that's true, however, I have heard of a script occasionally stalling unexpectedly like that.  If you have mod perms and are able to reset the script, that's all it should take.  Otherwise, you just have to hope that the devices are scripted to restart automatically when you detach and reattach them.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Getting disconnected during teleport (or just crossing s region border) can in certain circumstances set all your attached scripts to not running.
If you can edit the scripts in the attachments, open them & tick the running box.

There's a JIRA issue filed for that bug here: BUG-41379 - Script (running) state is lost when logged out during forced teleport

If the broken content is no mod, I'm afraid you'll have to get a redelivery.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

Okay, problem solved! So I did have to right click some stuff and set script stuff to running. In the future, for those suffering with the same issue (assuming you're using firestorm):

Right click the thing that isn't working
Click edit
At the very top of the viewer, click build, then hover over Scripts.
Click "Set Scripts to running"
Then hopefully it should work, though settings may have to be reset.
As Whirly mentioned, if it's no mod, you'll have to get a redelivery.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions, but I got this figured out.

• Like 1

i had something similar happen to my ZHAO based AO last year - bought it at an event and of course the event vendour was not connected to the store redelivery... never the less I tried my luck and contacted the creator who sent me a new one. I then transplanted my old notecard and added animations, made a backup copy and never had it happen again so far.

Edited by Fionalein

The lovely thing about the ZHAO and the ZHAO II is that they were simple and very widely distributed as freebies. My alt still uses hers.  When something goes wrong, as you say, she just pulls out the notecard, tosses the AO, and replaces it from her backup.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glennglog22 said:

And I log back on to find that my AO isn't working, and I can't click anything on my hud, or on any of the clickables on my avatar

Sounds like client side inventory list damage resulting from a bad or glitched logout... All too common in FS.

I've tried clearing inventory and normal cache

Clearing inventory cache normally fixes it, clearing texture cache is bloody useless for this.

I've tried teleporting to another sim

Doe nothing to fix inv loss, worthless advice from somebody.

I've tried flying at least 100 meters up

Who told you to do this rubbish, report them to the "League for the prevention of Stupidity".

Go to the FS website, find the page on recovering inventory loss, since clearing inv cache and relogging  (you did relog some place quiet after clearing inv cache right?) didn't work, it may be your cache is actually corrupted enough that you might have to delete it completely and remake it.

Instructions for that should be on the FS inv loss page.

However, before trying anything else... Avatar Health on the menu, look for "refresh attachments"...

Worth a try and might save you having to gointo appdata and deleting the FS cache files manually.

By the way, Klytyna's grumpy counteradvice notwithstanding, two bits of advice you were given could actually be helpful (although NOT in your particular situation.)

When you are in an area where scripts are turned off, quite a few of your HUDs (not, though, your AO) will stop working.  You can easily restore their function by either teleporting to another region where scripts are NOT turned off, or flying up about 100m.  Either action will fix this problem, and that advice was correct as far as it went.

Doing these things will not, as Kly pointed out, fix things in a situation like yours, where all your scripts got totally nuked.

1 hour ago, AnnBeauchamp said:

I just need a button to set protected scripts to run again or something alike.

This doesn't really make sense.

• Scripts can set other scripts to running as long as both scripts exist in the same object. But if all scripts in that object have stopped... there's no script that can enable any others.
  • To add some magic button onto the viewer which can force scripts to start or restart is a security risk that can be used to break and bypass existing content.

The only solution we should consider is fixing the bug causing this... whatever that is. If you're able to reproduce it, file a bug report in the Jira. Until then, we endure unless LL stumbles upon a fix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnBeauchamp said:

The issue is exactly as above: redelivery works, and editable thing can be rerun. But it's really a lot of work since i had several outfits/body-setups and even worse: this can happen again any time. I just need a button to set protected scripts to run again or something alike.

You know, we never saw this problem until maybe about a year ago.  But until LL figures out what's going on, there is one solution that's quicker than redeliveries: save a safety copy of all your HUDs.  The ones you are wearing will break, if you're wearing them and the viewer crashes.  But if you keep a safety copy in your inventory, it'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 11:54 PM, RowanMinx said:

While some scripts allow reset and some don't, did you even try the redelivery of the item/items that can't be reset?

The issue is exactly as above: redelivery works, and editable thing can be rerun. But it's really a lot of work since i had several outfits/body-setups and even worse: this can happen again any time. I just need a button to set protected scripts to run again or something alike.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:31 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This doesn't really make sense.

• Scripts can set other scripts to running as long as both scripts exist in the same object. But if all scripts in that object have stopped... there's no script that can enable any others.
  • To add some magic button onto the viewer which can force scripts to start or restart is a security risk that can be used to break and bypass existing content.

The only solution we should consider is fixing the bug causing this... whatever that is. If you're able to reproduce it, file a bug report in the Jira. Until then, we endure unless LL stumbles upon a fix.

I know that it is a general issue. This has to be enabled by Linden and the security risks, well i don't there are any since i have those objects and they were running. The issue has already been filed in jira, with steps to reproduce. But as a workaround exists, e.g. starting all over again with Meshbody and stuff, i doubt that there will be any fix. Second Life can be hard (SCNR)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.