False Advertising In Events?

EmeraldBloodmoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

to the OP: The creators do this because they want to earn money with their creations. (a lot of us actually pay our RL bills with our SL income, so it is as important to us as your salary is to you) Let's say hypothetically what you want happens, and there is a rule that somehow enforces the exclusivity you are talking about. What will happen then? 1) A lot of creators will simply stop participating in such events if they cannot earn with an item what they used to earn before, and then such events will die out; 2) those creators who remain will ask such exorbitant prices for their really exclusive item that it would cover the possible income it could have generated had it been continued after the event, that only very few or nobody at all will be able to afford it. Or do you really believe that creators would still sell it to you for the current price, or that they will waste their precious time on something that they know will not bring them as much income as it would have being sold in store.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

for me "exclusive" means released for that event, and afterwards it ( mostly) is available at the main store.

And if i want something, and buy it, why would i be mad about somebody else also liking it and buy it later?.. if it's a nice pair of jeans, it still will be that when you or anyone else wears it..

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Exclusive defined in Webster Dictionary for Fashion Sales; restricted in production and use! Never will the word mean you sell again after the event, that's just a fools errand and a cheaters way to greed. Clearly there is way to many people with no education and nothing better to do but hang out in the forums looking for prey to attack with their fairy tales and made up definitions. The word has the same meaning in SL as it does outside SL. Creators wreck it for themselves and nothing to stop you from making sure your friends know not to shop with these designers but it boils down to as one person pointed out, we don't have to spend a dime and some of us don't and this is why. It hurts everyone in the long run as the numbers in SL drop more each day also as someone said "don't like it go someplace else" well many of us are and its not a lose for the ones leaving only for SL and the bad designers left behind. Common Sense People! seem very rare reading this forum. FYI anyone not capable of modifying a body in SL is well thick in the head plain and simple & buying junk will not make you different just cheap looking. Yes truth hurts to bad most here are just bad lies. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exclusive

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JuicyFruitz said:

<rant in a huge font to try and make it more valid>

You won't change anyone's opinion just by putting your post in a huge font size.  More likely folks will just see it as a way of trolling, especially since you currently only have 2 posts and only one of them still exists when I go to your profile -- meaning the other post is older than this incarnation of the forums (i.e. you only post to troll) or it was removed (i.e a trolling post or violating the posting guidelines).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, JuicyFruitz said:

Creators wreck it for themselves

Creator applies to be in an event.  Event rules say item must be exclusive during the event  ie not sold elsewhere during that event.  After the event you can sell it usually with the rule not cheaper than the event price.  Creator decides if they are happy with those rules, if so creator applies to be in the event.  i am sure there are events that have the rule the item is exclusive only to the event and cannot be sold elsewhere afterwards but no idea what events they are.  Creator decides that is not the event for them and doesn't apply.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Tamara Artis said:

False advertising is when they say one thing and do something else. 

And that is what OP complained about.

3 hours ago, Tamara Artis said:

When you are not familiar with some facts, it is wrong to accuse a person or a group of people. Instead, it is better to ask. 

I think the English language is well defined enough to clearly define what "exclusive" means. The fact that creators got lazy and reduced "exclusively availabe at event during it's duration" to "event exclusive" does not pardon them because "everybody knows what's meant". This thread alone is indicator enough that a fair share of people don't know. 

Edited by Fionalein

In events there are a few different uses of the term 'Exclusive' for the oldbies in here, they will remember when events (annual usually RFL based) and stores had exclusives they were a limited time only and cost a small down payment on a car in RL. They were not only exclusive to the event and store, but could often be only so many sold, and it was riot worthy because swanning around in your Flexi blinged-out gown by someone huge back then was big status. Some even did custom work for people, and they gladly paid tens of thousands for them. Now exclusives mean as said 'during the event' or 'during the event and the one or two items that had to be new to be in the event' imagine if you had to write all that. Hair Fair (currently on) has always been NEW and only for sale at the event- then sold in the store as usual, so we do not need to actually label as exclusive during because it is a given. 

Other annuals have done one item has to donate, but did not have an exclusive label and people got really upset at finding out that the charity item was already an old item, or even one they already had, feeling cheated out of being able to donate, or that the item was somehow not something the owner of the store really wanted to donate with if they had already sold so many that there were not many newer customers for it, so the events made them do exclusives new etc to fix that. This was not meant to cheat a customer but to let a customer know that in a sea of items, what items were new, what was donating and what they bought there they could not get elsewhere until later, the 'exclusive to the event' is the way you draw the people to the event because for that period of time that is its only location, and that is great.

Then there are the exclusives for bodies, those use the word and then it can confuse people if they think that means exclusive for that body or that event or what it may mean if they feel it is not clear. But this is SL and we have one word for four things all through our jargon. Rez means Rez and Rez and both are different things :) 

Exclusive meaning not able to buy it later is never going to mean that unless the event itself is an exclusive event like the limited one, or the past 11:11 one that had only 11 of each item and so forth. You cannot expect that someone is spending sometimes weeks on a product and it being sold for possibly not even a dollar, that it would be any value to the creator to have it only available for a few weeks and then trashed. If the item is tens of thousands of Lindens and at least a hundred + are sold then maybe, and if they did then sell it after for less, you would have every right to be upset about it. The only other way is that you have seen clearly outlined rules of an event stating that it will be removed after an event and then it wasn't.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:46 AM, Fionalein said:

And that is what OP complained about.

I understand the OP. He or she would like to know which items are going to be sold after the event so that they can buy the items that are not going to be sold after the event ends. The OP can't know the difference if he or she doesn't asks. It's that simple. 

You can't tell the difference because all designers are supposed to put the same texture on their vendors - the exclusive one. And usually it is obligation for bloggers to blog those exclusive items. So the average consumer has to see tons of blogger posts with exclusive items even before the event starts so they can decide which ones to buy. By the time the event ends (and someone already said this here) you don't want to be seen wearing anything from that event, not because it is outdated but because you've seen it soooo many times that you simply can't stand it anymore ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you from my own experience, that some creators do treat the term "exclusive" just as the OP suggests. So whether the intent to mislead the consumer is intentional or not, the usage of that term can be somewhat misleading.

if you're a regular event goer, you quickly learn that most items at major events are only made available first at that event. The same cannot be said about the use of the term "exclusive" to advertise the said product. There is just too much room for misinterpretation and IMO it is totally unnecessary to use it unless it does mean unavailable after the event. 

Maybe they just need another option for "This item and maybe these other two items were made for this event, and they will be only at this event,  during this event, the other items in this booth are items I already sell in my store and other places but they are popular and I added them to my booth as options, but again waving arms around, these are the event items *waves arms around more* "

Maybe as simple as Event Item, Evented, Eventalapalooza. Eventashamabingbong too big maybe, how about E to the power of 2 as in Event Exclusive :D 

or the term I use a lot on my blog 'FEATURED'  or even "Special Attraction" 

I tend to be the other way, I would want to know if not available after the event, because if i wore it a year later thinking that people can go buy it, I would have wasted time of my own and theirs sending them there, so tend to not buy those things.

From my personal experience as designer who participates in one event per year I can tell you that often it is a matter of my personal satisfaction with the product; if I don't like something about the way the product turned out I will not sell it after the event ends. I have plans and my best intentions to redo it, make it better but it often ends up forgotten and buried somewhere deep in my inventory.

The label "exclusive" was only because the event organizer demands that newly created items, that are going to be introduced at the event and not sold anywhere else until the event ends, are named like that. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you could message the creator and politely ask if the item will be sold after the event?  Particularly if you are short of walking around money during the event.  It's possible they won't reply, in which case perhaps send a follow up note card as they might be very busy or away in rl.  If there is still no response, and if you have seen this creator sell after events before, then possibly assume that they will do so again.  You could also check in their update group to see if members there know what the store policy is.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.