False Advertising In Events?

EmeraldBloodmoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this sort of thing, but it has become an inexcusably large and common place problem for the creators of SL products to, in the various shopping events, claim an item as being exclusive. I don't mind event exclusive items, it can make you feel more unique and thankful when you get something that isn't scattered around everywhere. Where I have a problem comes in when it is claimed as being exclusive to the event, yet is instantly re sold at the same exact price the second the event closes. This is not "exclusive". It's not "exclusive" if you sell an item forever. And a lot of the creators that do this.... they aren't the new ones.... they are the big name popular brands that already have large followings of devoted customers, (I will *try* not to point fingers -  as that's uncalled for, but I see it happen a lot with bigger brands), customers that are probably providing the creators main, if not only, source of income.... Lying to the people supporting you and shadily claiming non-exclusive items as being "exclusive" to an event just because it's not sold at your mainstore for .. what? 2 weeks tops? that's a fairly average event time limit, then instantly selling it in mainstore as soon as the event is closed, is inexcusable. It is a shady, and dishonest business practice, and makes it hard to know which items actually ARE going to be gone after the event. It's scummy. By falsely claiming an item as exclusive, more people buy more than they can really afford to because they are essentially told "If you don't get this now, you never will" so they shell out a bigger chunk of their wallet than they might be able to handle so they don't "miss out" only to find the same item at the same price is being permanently sold in the mainstore a few days later. This is legitimately LYING to your clients/customers.... The money spent on fake "exclusives" could be better spent on things that WILL NOT be re sold outside of the event.... I feel very strongly about this, and I don't think it is right... I feel like this sort of lying, shady, false advertising of items as being time limited / exclusive should be against the TOS. They wouldn't want someone to trick them with false promises of an exclusive item..... so why should they be totally fine with doing the same to those that support them? And, why should they be allowed to blatantly lie to consumers?

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Thanks 1

I've always believed that exclusive meant that the only place the item is available during the event is at the event. I've never seen it to mean that the item disappears after the event closes unless specifically advertised as such, which is extremely rare.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, EmeraldBloodmoon said:

Where I have a problem comes in when it is claimed as being exclusive to the event, yet is instantly re sold at the same exact price the second the event closes.

In every event that I have been in (and that's lots) EXCLUSIVE meant that the item would not be sold anywhere else during the EVENT. It is perfectly acceptable and commonplace for items to be sold in the store afterwards. So basically is is your definition of exclusive and what it means to you. The content creators are not trying to cheat as far as I can see. 

If people don't want to buy or feel they are being coerced into spending money that they "shouldn't" , then simply DON'T BUY. It's as easy as that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

That sounds like a confession. You might be able to right click-copy everything in sight, but I can assure you the rest of us can't.

The original creator can. People with copy permission can. Even if you don't include nefarious behaviour, that's enough to make the word stupid.

It's like saying "I didn't back up my files" in the modern times. There's literally no excuse anymore. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I can''t even think of an event these days that has rules that an item cannot be sold after the event ends.  I have seen it in the past but not these days.  It's "exclusive" during the event.

The exceptions would be the "special prizes" that you get for playing a gacha machine so many times. Those are very exclusive as far as I know. They are not even supposed to be passed out to bloggers (in some events anyway) but that is up to the discretion of the creator. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2018 at 1:50 AM, EmeraldBloodmoon said:

Where I have a problem comes in when it is claimed as being exclusive to the event, yet is instantly re sold at the same exact price the second the event closes. This is not "exclusive". It's not "exclusive" if you sell an item forever

As i have always understood it if an item is exclusive to an event it's only available at that event and nowhere else at maybe a special price such as the days when everything at C88 was L$88 then when the event was over the creator could do as as they wish with the product. There are places i like to shop that only put out new stuff at events then put it in their store when the month's round is over i don't see a problem doing that it gives people who couldn't get it to the event, forgot about it or intended to go back but didn't the chance to get the latest offerings

(For non SL n00bs) 'Exclusively for the event' generally means 'introduced at this event'. I know it doesn't sound very similar, but this is generally how both event organizers and merchants interpret the phrase. And rest assured that Linden Lab won't touch this issue with a ten-foot pole.

As physicist and Nobel laureate Richard Feynman once said: "You don't like it? Go somewhere else! To another universe, where the rules are simpler. Philosophically more pleasing. Psychologically easy."

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12.8.2018 at 3:15 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I've always believed that exclusive meant that the only place the item is available during the event is at the event. I've never seen it to mean that the item disappears after the event closes unless specifically advertised as such, which is extremely rare.

This however is not what it means in RL - So one has to understand the OP and I totally understand SL-inexperienced folks feel ripped off because they thought it would not be available later (which makes the item more common than it otherwise would be and also removes the "if you do not buy it now it's gone forever" threat the term "exclusive" usually holds).

Try selling an "event exclusive" item in the real world after the event expired and watch folks murdering your reputation and even sue you...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

This however is not what it means in RL

Maybe RL is that strange alternative universe Arduenn suggested then. I've tried it though and... well... they do have some brilliant solutions to many of the problems we're struggling with in SL, I have to give them that. But it has its own flaws too, so all in all it may not be that much of a difference and I'm not sure I would recommend it.

• Haha 2

Everything else aside, including how one might choose to define "exclusive"....

No one, and I do mean NO ONE, is forced to buy jack all in sl. No one HAS to "spend more than they can really afford". People use that excuse in rl, and it actually applies in some areas(necessities, bills you can't simply choose not to pay, utilities, etc..), but it applies literally nowhere in sl. 

You don't have to spend a cent, and no one can make you.  If you CHOOSE to, and you CHOOSE to "spend beyond your means", that's all on you, no matter what creator/seller invented pretense you want to blame for your poor fiscal choices, lol.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Everything else aside, including how one might choose to define "exclusive"....

No one, and I do mean NO ONE, is forced to buy jack all in sl. No one HAS to "spend more than they can really afford". People use that excuse in rl, and it actually applies in some areas(necessities, bills you can't simply choose not to pay, utilities, etc..), but it applies literally nowhere in sl. 

You don't have to spend a cent, and no one can make you.  If you CHOOSE to, and you CHOOSE to "spend beyond your means", that's all on you, no matter what creator/seller invented pretense you want to blame for your poor fiscal choices, lol.

You go, girl! Sometimes the truth hurts!

And if you want to be unique (@OP) - the last thing you want to wear is a Maitreya body. 

/me snickers

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, Fionalein said:

This however is not what it means in RL - So one has to understand the OP and I totally understand SL-inexperienced folks feel ripped off because they thought it would not be available later (which makes the item more common than it otherwise would be and also removes the "if you do not buy it now it's gone forever" threat the term "exclusive" usually holds).

Try selling an "event exclusive" item in the real world after the event expired and watch folks murdering your reputation and even sue you...

We have a very real counterpart to this in the real world. Look at first run movies and how you can only see them in the theater when first released. They are available later for either purchase or rental after the "event" has run its course. And even so, it's rather silly to think that the way things work in the real world is how they should work in an virtual world or video game. 

21 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

You go, girl! Sometimes the truth hurts!

And if you want to be unique (@OP) - the last thing you want to wear is a Maitreya body. 

/me snickers

If you can't look unique while wearing a Maitreya body, there's something wrong with your creativity!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

If you can't look unique while wearing a Maitreya body, there's something wrong with your creativity!

Just saying it's pretty easy to spot a Maitreya without any need for the "inspect" feature, and no one said it's not a great body, only that if you want to be unique (i.e.: not like everyone else) then don't use that one. LOL. :P

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Just saying it's pretty easy to spot a Maitreya without any need for the "inspect" feature, and no one said it's not a great body, only that if you want to be unique (i.e.: not like everyone else) then don't use that one. LOL. :P

Actually it's pretty easy to spot any of the bodies and especially the system body without inspecting them. They all have their very distinguishable features. I don't depend on a body or a head to make me unique. It's what I do with them that makes me different from the crowd. 

• Like 2

1. I am not "new" / "noob" to sl - name calling is not necessary. Just because I haven't posted 5 billion things on the forums does not mean i am "new" to SL, it just means that I haven't posted much to forums.

2. as stated before "exclusive" in the real world has a vastly different meaning RL than people use it in SL for.. if by "exclusive" they are intending "Introduced" it should be made more clear. So it does not sound as if the item will not be sold after the event.

3. SOME creators actually DO use the "exclusive" tag for things they DO NOT sell after the event closes - having exclusives that are NOT resold and "exclusives" that ARE resold is where the confusion comes in..... so, I don't think it should be marked as "exclusive" if it is going to be resold, that's all  I am saying. It can be confusing and feel like a rip off when you see some creators exclusives ACTUALLY being sold only at that event, while others are selling their "exclusives" both at the event and afterwards in their store.

4. Look at the replies I got, almost none that were not rude or insulting.... I put forward a concern that is perfectly understandable....replies could have been more polite. yet all i get was a backlash of insults, assumptions, name calling, rudeness, and replies that have nothing to do with the topic at all. This is exactly why I don't post to forums 99.9% of the time and am still labeled as "newbie" on the forums...... Can't even say "my dogs taking a nap" without someone getting offended and flipping out and flinging insults and assumptions around. smh. one reply that saw things from my perspective and took the time to understand where I am coming from before lashing out like an injured animal..... ONE...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, EmeraldBloodmoon said:

4. Look at the replies I got, almost none that were not rude or insulting.... I put forward a concern that is perfectly understandable....replies could have been more polite. yet all i get was a backlash of insults, assumptions, name calling, rudeness, and replies that have nothing to do with the topic at all. This is exactly why I don't post to forums 99.9% of the time and am still labeled as "newbie" on the forums...

I see no name calling or insults?  You are only labelled newbie because of the number of posts you have made.  That changes after a few posts.  You posted something valid and I believe got a good discussion going on what exclusive means to different people/events  ? 

• Sad 1

2. as stated before "exclusive" in the real world has a vastly different meaning RL than people use it in SL for..

It is entirely possible that the RL meaning of exclusive that you are thinking of and that was mentioned above is a US or Western civilization thing.  I do not know for sure, but I do know that a lot of words have different meanings around the world and SL creators come from all over.   That could explain why some creators do keep an item exclusive to an event forever and some consider it only exclusive to the event while the event is happening.

4. Look at the replies I got, almost none that were not rude or insulting.

Interesting how different folks view things.  IMO, the vast "majority" were NOT rude or insulting.  Again, it could even be a cultural difference or it could be that you are just extra sensitive and feeling attacked simply because you didn't get tons of responses agreeing with you.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The very fast turn over time for SL fashion really means that by the end of the event, you shouldn't be caught dead in it  - Unrelated

then simply DON'T BUY. It's as easy as that.   - snippy

(For non SL n00bs) 'Exclusively for the event' generally means 'introduced at this event'/ You don't like it? Go somewhere else!  - rude+name calling

Tari's entire reply + Alyona reply to Tari - rudeness / unrelated (maitreya comment)

most of the comments targeting my so called " poor fiscal choices " (it's financial, by the way - fiscal is related to government, taxes, and a nation's economy - not the individual.) are simply being rude without need. my primary concern was that people are spending money on things that, by the real world definition of the word, should be limited to an event, only available during the event. and that it can cause confusion and people can feel upset if they decide to buy something "exclusive" only to find that it was NOT using the real world definition and will always be available. That's were the problem comes in. Where the meaning of words are altered, and confuse people into thinking that an item is only available for a set amount of time.

when it gets near impossible to know which creators exclusives are actually exclusives, and which ones will be re sold. It shouldn't be able to be labeled as "exclusive" if it's going to be resold. THAT is the issue. it's too easy for people to misunderstand, and then they buy something thinking it will be a unique item only to find it's always available at the same exact price.

Think about it this way, you go to some big event RL, there is a booth /etc there for a specific brand of shoe, selling an exclusive design/line of a shoe, let's say they are.... $150. You buy them and a day after the event you are on the way home, find the same brands store selling the same shoe for the same price as a permanent product and realize you could have gotten them at a later time. All the while noticing that some of the booths items that were marked as exclusive actually where limited to being sold at that one specific event - wouldn't you feel a bit lied to? They had the shoe marked and where marketing it as if you could never get it again, same as the other vendors with exclusives being offered. but in reality, you could have gotten it later down the road unlike the items that were not being re sold.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EmeraldBloodmoon said:

The very fast turn over time for SL fashion really means that by the end of the event, you shouldn't be caught dead in it  - Unrelated
  First off, the little emoticon implies the comment is sarcastic, which a few of us got and thus laughed at.  And it is related since it is a comment about fashion and events. 

then simply DON'T BUY. It's as easy as that.   - snippy
  IMO, not snippy at all.  Just a statement of the fact that we constantly advice people of here:  If something about a product is not to your expectations, then don't buy it - you have the option.

(For non SL n00bs) 'Exclusively for the event' generally means 'introduced at this event'/ You don't like it? Go somewhere else!  - rude+name calling
  Can be taken as rude or a better person might have simply assumed the person made a mistake in your avi age and was offering sage advice if you were a newbie. 

Tari's entire reply + Alyona reply to Tari - rudeness / unrelated (maitreya comment)
  Maybe a little harsh, but I would only call it rude if I was super sensitive. 

most of the comments targeting my so called " poor fiscal choices " (it's financial, by the way - fiscal is related to government, taxes, and a nation's economy - not the individual.) are simply being rude without need. my primary concern was that people are spending money on things that, by the real world definition of the word, should be limited to an event, only available during the event. and that it can cause confusion and people can feel upset if they decide to buy something "exclusive" only to find that it was NOT using the real world definition and will always be available. That's were the problem comes in. Where the meaning of words are altered, and confuse people into thinking that an item is only available for a set amount of time.
  I mentioned above that the US real world definition of 'exclusive' might not be the real world definition elsewhere.  Do you know for a fact that it isn't?  Do you care?
 Side note - per the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

image.png.6c807f4e1319bd59bf53698f851be260.png
   Many words actually have multiple meanings.

when it gets near impossible to know which creators exclusives are actually exclusives, and which ones will be re sold. It shouldn't be able to be labeled as "exclusive" if it's going to be resold. THAT is the issue. it's too easy for people to misunderstand, and then they buy something thinking it will be a unique item only to find it's always available at the same exact price.

Think about it this way, you go to some big event RL, there is a booth /etc there for a specific brand of shoe, selling an exclusive design/line of a shoe, let's say they are.... $150. You buy them and a day after the event you are on the way home, find the same brands store selling the same shoe for the same price as a permanent product and realize you could have gotten them at a later time. All the while noticing that some of the booths items that were marked as exclusive actually where limited to being sold at that one specific event - wouldn't you feel a bit lied to? They had the shoe marked and where marketing it as if you could never get it again, same as the other vendors with exclusives being offered. but in reality, you could have gotten it later down the road unlike the items that were not being re sold.
  SL is not RL and you should definitely know that by now.  There are so many things in SL that would not be done the same way, if at all, in RL.

I'm really sorry that you are feeling ripped off and not getting the support and agreement that you want here on the forums.  Not getting agreement and support for your position is not the same as all of the replies being rude or insulting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm really sorry that you are feeling ripped off and not getting the support and agreement that you want here on the forums.  Not getting agreement and support for your position is not the same as all of the replies being rude or insulting.

I honestly don't think ANYONE has called me "snippy" before. The worst I can remember was "too perky" LOL.  Obviously the OP has a point of view that doesn't want to slide away from the origin (that's a Blender reference but works for me :D).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.