Jump to content
DjWhiteBoi

I heard last names were coming back. When?

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

 

Totally agree and up until March 21, 2018 it simply was what it was. I still feel that had they not come out and touted "The return of Last Names" as one of the "FIFTEEN REASONS TO CELEBRATE" this would not have become as popular an issue as it is today.

 

 

I said the same thing, and have said the same thing, every single time the subject has come up, lol. LL needed a carrot to dangle, and that was the prettiest they could find in the bottom of the barrel at the time, I suppose. But, look at how well it worked, there are *still people convinced they (with their current staff) both A-can actually do it (they can't) and B-will actually do it (they won't), because LL is still dangling that, slightly more warped and decayed, carrot today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to Tari Landars previious, fave additional reasons are :

1) The job is such a boring grind that nobody wants it. ( Possible )
2) The gum and string holding the servers together has been stretched so much that people are terrified of one more kludge sending  the whole shebang across the event horizon and summonning the Great Old Ones. Or  Skynet. ( Possible )
3) Someone involved in the original dogs breakfast of the decision is frantically blocking it. ( Unlikey )
4) Aliens ( covers most things )

With the exception of 4 (hey I had suspicions but never could get proof) I have dealt with the lot :)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this has been answered, forgive me (and point me in the right direction by all means) but regarding the changing of names; I've been reading posts for a while now and getting a little confused with conflicting info or speculation (and my eyes are glazing over now. Can't see the proverbial forest for the trees me thinks). I understand that we will (eventually pay for and) get to choose last names from a selection but do we get to change first names too? What happens if someone picks the same first and last name as you; is that possible or is it a case of first come, first served? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RaeLeeH said:

If this has been answered, forgive me (and point me in the right direction by all means) but regarding the changing of names; I've been reading posts for a while now and getting a little confused with conflicting info or speculation (and my eyes are glazing over now. Can't see the proverbial forest for the trees me thinks). I understand that we will (eventually pay for and) get to choose last names from a selection but do we get to change first names too? What happens if someone picks the same first and last name as you; is that possible or is it a case of first come, first served? 🤔

The last official word that we heard (long ago) was that there would be a drop down list of last names that changed (like in the OLDEN days) and you would then choose a first name.  I do not think it was ever asked or answered about duplicate names, but in the PAST, there could only be one avatar with that name.   The list of last names would change from time to time.  

 

But at this point a lot of people are never expecting to see last names (as you can see from this thread). It was more complex than The Lab thought it would be and while still somewhere on the roadmap, it appears to be far down on the list.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

If this has been answered, forgive me (and point me in the right direction by all means) but regarding the changing of names; I've been reading posts for a while now and getting a little confused with conflicting info or speculation (and my eyes are glazing over now. Can't see the proverbial forest for the trees me thinks). I understand that we will (eventually pay for and) get to choose last names from a selection but do we get to change first names too? What happens if someone picks the same first and last name as you; is that possible or is it a case of first come, first served? 🤔

That's one of the things that LL already had set up before they went and tossed a monkey wrench into the works. Once a name had been used (taken) it was no longer available for anyone to use so that there were no two names exactly alike. Since they've done it once, they can do it again. Also they would retire last names after a period of time and those last names become no longer available with new ones taking the place of the old ones.

In other words, they had things set up so that it was not possible for two people to have the exact same name.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 5:37 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

There will be a fee associated with changing your name (which has still to be determined).

  • The fee is liable to be “large enough” to prevent people simply constantly changing name just to use the “good names” up.

What are the "good names"?  I'll pick Linden.  (just kidding)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Names themselves would be fairly easy to add back into the system if they returned to the original sign up methods and just left it right there.

It's the proposed feature of allowing you to entirely change your account name (first and last if desired) that is tripping them up. Unlike Display names, the account name is just that - it's the baseline bit of data for each user in the database and everything relating to individual users is tied to it. One slip up in the code and suddenly a user that has changed their account name has lost their entire inventory, their Linden Dollar balance, any land they bought ... I think you get the picture.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Last Names themselves would be fairly easy to add back into the system if they returned to the original sign up methods and just left it right there.

It's the proposed feature of allowing you to entirely change your account name (first and last if desired) that is tripping them up. Unlike Display names, the account name is just that - it's the baseline bit of data for each user in the database and everything relating to individual users is tied to it. One slip up in the code and suddenly a user that has changed their account name has lost their entire inventory, their Linden Dollar balance, any land they bought ... I think you get the picture.

O M G...no...that's no good.

We can just make up a last name though.  You add your whole name on top of your user name on My Second Life I think it is with just a made up last name.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

O M G...no...that's no good.

We can just make up a last name though.  You add your whole name on top of your user name on My Second Life I think it is with just a made up last name.  

The thing with Display Names (which is what you have described essentially) is that far too many users end up typing in what amounts to absolute gibberish instead - there was even a thread or a portion of a thread dedicated to this!

This invariably leads some to either shut off or simply ignore Display Names and go by the account name instead - this invariably angers those users who went the route of filling in their display name with symbols and other fonts/letters (a native speaker of whichever language chosen might be able to translate/read it along with those that have learned the chosen language but that's pretty much it), how dare someone not call them by their display name!

For some these Display Names are also rather fleeting ... a new one each week in some cases! I've never seen the reason or need ... I have had two display names - still on the second: The Rising Spirit and Atra. The first was more a title than a name and was intended to be read/used as such (The Rising Spirit: Solar Legion) whereas the second is the name of the one RP character I find myself using the most. The first lasted about three or four months before I swapped it, both changes having happened within months of Display Names having gone live.

If I ever change it again it will be after rather careful thought and it is quite likely to be the very last change I will make.

No, I do not expect others to follow in my footsteps but I sure as Hades wish more would treat their Display Name as something more than some name tag to put bits of flair and other crap on ... Keep it simple, make sure as many as possible can actually read it and think bloody carefully!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

how dare someone not call them by their display name!

My answer to that is to address them as "Formerly known as [username]" The worst I've gotten then was a "*rolls eyes*". 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few times I thought I was going to get my head sliced off for not calling someone by their display name.  If I can't make out the name due to it being pure gibberish, I'll call them by the system name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Marth Coberts said:

Maybe we should have SL 'Family Reuinions' with people that share the same last names?

I have met maybe three or four people, and one within the last 12 months, whose last name is Luminos, and that was a VERY popular name at the time, over 12,000 of us at the peak.

Most last names are going to be pretty much uniques at this point, so the majority of "reunions" are going to be just one person sitting in a room alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm too new and naive to get why the name thing is such an issue.

I sure don't get why people go for symbols and gibberish, but thats their business.

Back to shopping I guess!!!🖖😌

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I have met maybe three or four people, and one within the last 12 months, whose last name is Luminos, and that was a VERY popular name at the time, over 12,000 of us at the peak.

Most last names are going to be pretty much uniques at this point, so the majority of "reunions" are going to be just one person sitting in a room alone.

We could manage two between us. 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marth Coberts said:

Maybe we should have SL 'Family Reuinions' with people that share the same last names?

Since my very first day in SL until now I have only ever met one other person who *claimed* their "original" account had the last name Su (which is a Chinese surname), though I've never met anyone myself. My original is Alyona Chernov - never, ever met or even heard of another Chernov LOL (That one, I think, is a Russkie surname). So, an attempted reunion would likely be a lot more break than make for me. LOL

Though, I have always thought of SL last names as all members of a family, like the Coberts family or in my case the Su family and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

We could manage two between us. 😁

Oops, ok, TWO within the last 12 months. Sorry!

What's the plural of a Luminos? Luminoses or Luminii?

Edited by Matty Luminos
Cant spell my own name right
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matty Luminos said:

Oops, ok, TWO within the last 12 months. Sorry!

What's the plural of a Luninos? Luminoses or Luminii?

What about the Lumineers? Or you could spell it Luminieres and give it a French accent or something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
11 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Oops, ok, TWO within the last 12 months. Sorry!

What's the plural of a Luninos? Luminoses or Luminii?

What about the Lumineers? Or you could spell it Luminieres and give it a French accent or something.

I'm pretty sure it's "Luminatti" that or "Laminate" :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm pretty sure it's "Luminatti" that or "Laminate" :D

Lumineers is good but already claimed by a RL band from the UK.  I like Luminati though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Lumineers is good but already claimed by a RL band from the UK.  I like Luminati though. 

If you really want to be seen, then Luminaire is the way to go. (I thought of the Luminati because it sounds so secretively conspiratorial and stuffs! Just missing the I and first L LOL) 👍

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the kurosawas I've come in contact with were japanese with little to no english. I actually wanted to have Rei kurosawa a character from fatal frame. But someone already took that when I first joined.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, Alyona Su said:

Since my very first day in SL until now I have only ever met one other person who *claimed* their "original" account had the last name Su (which is a Chinese surname), though I've never met anyone myself. My original is Alyona Chernov - never, ever met or even heard of another Chernov LOL (That one, I think, is a Russkie surname). So, an attempted reunion would likely be a lot more break than make for me. LOL

Though, I have always thought of SL last names as all members of a family, like the Coberts family or in my case the Su family and so on.

And in my case I have yet to see another Zehetbauer in world and I've been in here since 1943!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 1:11 AM, Marth Coberts said:

Maybe we should have SL 'Family Reuinions' with people that share the same last names?

The proud Loon family was once very large -- over 45,000 members when I joined -- but has become smaller over time.  I continue to meet long lost cousins even now, though not as often as I once did. I met one earlier this week, in fact. [ SIlent wave to Khookie Loon. ]   Except for a handful of showoffs like me, Loons are a quiet, industrious lot. Many of us have become recognized creators -- builders and scripters mostly -- and I have met a couple of performance artists.  Although we Loons wave silently at a distance, we have never tried to do a reunion (or maybe the others just didn't invite me).   We aren't a big party crowd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...