I heard last names were coming back. When?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, DjWhiteBoi said:

Received an email 6 months ago from LL saying Last Names would be returning.  Haven't heard anything since.  Did a google search and not finding anything on it either.

Anyone have any more info?

we haven't heard an ETA on that yet but it will be happening.

31 minutes ago, DjWhiteBoi said:

Received an email 6 months ago from LL saying Last Names would be returning.  Haven't heard anything since.  Did a google search and not finding anything on it either.

Anyone have any more info?

The only "date" that we've been given is "2018".

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, DjWhiteBoi said:

I heard last names were coming back. When?

Soon®

No firm date has been given.  They are intended for some time this year but as any software project goes, it will be released when ready.  We are all anxiously waiting for them to return!  Well. maybe not "all" -- there are always exceptions -- but close enough

Also they are not "coming back" but will be available for purchase for US dollars.  No exact price and there a possibility (perhaps) of a higher premium level getting one name change?   If the names get tied to the new premiums then it seems likely they will both be released at the same time.   I am not one of the "all" eagerly awaiting but then I have a name already :D.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Also they are not "coming back" but will be available for purchase for US dollars.  No exact price and there a possibility (perhaps) of a higher premium level getting one name change?   If the names get tied to the new premiums then it seems likely they will both be released at the same time.   I am not one of the "all" eagerly awaiting but then I have a name already :D.  

I have been trying to find more info about it, but cant find anything that says we are going to pay for the names. Where did you read that Chic? :)

2 minutes ago, Gittrika Mint said:

I have been trying to find more info about it, but cant find anything that says we are going to pay for the names. Where did you read that Chic? :)

https://modemworld.me/2018/03/23/the-return-of-second-life-last-names-update-with-audio/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/secondlife/comments/8owkku/dakota_linden_clarifying_how_last_names_will_work/?sort=new

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gittrika Mint said:

Ebbe's talk on video. Likely I heard it twice. Might have been at the town hall meeting.  Might have been in the talk AFTER the camera went off. But I think it has been mentioned more than once as there was plenty of chatter about it. 

I believe he said "likely" but said it a few time so it really seemed like a given.   SLartist has all the videos and they are on YouTube somewhere. Been awhile. This isn't new news and there have been a few very long threads on this about the time of the announcement. So you might be able to find those here on the forums. 

Ah LittleMe has the links for you. I missed that when I came straight to your post :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

And something about single names... :ph34r:

There have been lots of complaints that "all good names have been taken" and "no names available". And then people have created all kinds of weird names with number and letter combinations. Well, the fact actually is that all good single names have not been taken. I guess what people actually mean is that "all the names what I would have liked have been taken". People are just too picky wanting some specific name for their account.

Just yesterday I created alternative account. What name to give it? I tried CeciliaLorenzo. Message was "it's available". Yay! How easy and fast it was. And it's a nice name.
Now I can create nice display name rhyming with the username if I want to, like Cecilia Lorenzo without any silly Unicode character "decorations". Perfect! :)

Anyway, I liked the old system very much; first name and last name, and no display names. And it was very easy to make a nice name (if you weren't too picky ;)).

• Like 6

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Someday - in theory sometime this year.  Though you will have to pay for it and the last comments from Dakota indicated you will have to be Premium to be able to get a last name.

eh 9 bucks a month is worth.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

And yet I have a feeling that though they will likely partake once Last names come back ... The gobbldy***** Display Name Cadre will still use random symbols, accents and such in their names - Display or otherwise ....

Guess I'll have to refer to them by their UUID .... or call them all Phred.

• Haha 3

On 8/10/2018 at 9:40 PM, Bree Giffen said:

When last names come out again, people with only one name will look down at people with last names as noobs... O.o

And those of us that aren't can whip out our old pre-mesh avatars, and beat up the naysayers with our prims and sculpties.

• Haha 6

On 8/11/2018 at 7:25 AM, Coby Foden said:

And something about single names... :ph34r:

There have been lots of complaints that "all good names have been taken" and "no names available". And then people have created all kinds of weird names with number and letter combinations. Well, the fact actually is that all good single names have not been taken. I guess what people actually mean is that "all the names what I would have liked have been taken". People are just too picky wanting some specific name for their account.

Just yesterday I created alternative account. What name to give it? I tried CeciliaLorenzo. Message was "it's available". Yay! How easy and fast it was. And it's a nice name.
Now I can create nice display name rhyming with the username if I want to, like Cecilia Lorenzo without any silly Unicode character "decorations". Perfect! :)

Gee, I wonder who it was that was saying that "all good single names are taken"? ;)

6 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Gee, I wonder who it was that was saying that "all good single names are taken"? ;)

These unlucky ones, and lots of similar ones? :/;)

Allnamesaretakenareyouserious
ALLNAMESARETAKENPLZKILLMEEEEE (!:S!)
Nonamesavailableanymore
NONAMESTOCHOOSEFROM

Totally blank profiles. Must have been very frustrating experience. :(
For them it has looked like that no good names where available.
Maybe they never even cared to log in with those names?

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Good...

Frankly... I've never had any problem coming up with a name that didn't involve numbers, or unpronouncable random collections of letters.

Tricks you can use include typing some simple phrase into google translate and choosing an obscure language to translate into.

For example... "Good Name" translates to...

Welsh - "Enw Da" So new avi name is Enwda, a bit hard to pronounce

Tongan - "Hingoa lelei" Rather exotic, but Hingoalelei is certainly pronouncable, and probably available

Swahili - "Jina zuri" Not bad, Jinazuri is certainly pronouncable.

Fijian - "Vinaka ni yaca" Definately exotic, but again pronouncable, and probably available, can you see your self going though SecondLife called Vinakaniyaca?

I'll leave these here, for anybody that wants a new alt to use.

10 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

For them it has looked like that no good names where available.

Good... Frankly SL can well do without Type-With-Your-Thumbs types with that little imagination...

I just wanted to add to this discussion by saying that I have compiled all the current information I could find about the upcoming last names feature in Second Life, here:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

Interestingly, this is one of my most popular blogposts on my blog, getting around ten views per day. A lot of people are looking for information on how to get last names! I have a feeling that this service is going to be VERY popular, since we have over seven years of pent-up demand for last names.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.