Tooback

The Reason Why Usership Numbers Never Go Up

Just now, Tooback said:

Cindy.  Please try and stay on topic.  Your comment does not warrant a direct response.  

For someone wanting reasons, you sure ignored that I gave you reason. You could have al least tried to pretend you wheren't tolling.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tooback said:

Can you give me some statistics Drake?  Can you? 

Also if second life is so great why aren't usership numbers going up.   Says who? LL isn't releasing those numbers anymore.

I know what that word means and I mean it.  That word.  If you want make something of it, draw your sword and choose your words carefully for I am ready to battle today.  I feel i should warn you...  I am not left handed. 

I personally know 15 couples that have met in SL and then met and married in RL. Just browse the people section of the forums, plenty of people talking about making friends and how helpful SL has been.. 

Bad troll is bad at trolling. 

• Like 7

LittleMe:  I'm saying that second life is pernicious due to it's culture and unless you are aware of the hidden "rules of the game" you can get seriously injured.

I see a lot of people who have left second life and never come back.  If it's so great, why is that?   And don't tell me they becames alts.  I usually stopped seeing them way before they disappeared.

4 minutes ago, Tooback said:

LittleMe:  I'm saying that second life is pernicious due to it's culture and unless you are aware of the hidden "rules of the game" you can get seriously injured.

I was not aware of any hidden "rules of the game" when I got here.  I got my feelings hurt from a few relationships, but it didn't send me running away crying or 'turn me into a donkey'.  I simply picked myself up, pulled my big girl panties up, and got on with my SLife.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Tooback said:

I see a lot of people who have left second life and never come back.  If it's so great, why is that? 

Go back to page 1 -- Sukubia gave you a list of some very valid reasons why people do not stay in SL.

• Like 1

I accept 15 couples out of  57,000,000 total accounts. 

I also think the message broad has a lot more posts about being deceived by someone in second life.

It's the culture.  Please do not call me names  

33 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Do you believe anything you read somewhere on the internet?

I taught fifth grade, and no way did any fifth grader write that. Plus school computers have most of the internet blocked.

Ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

LittleMe.  You seem like a nice person.  I am sure I would like you.  

I'm saying the vast majority of the people that have a bad experience in second life because they were mislead or deceived and their affections played with, do not overcome and for many, it is a serious injury, especially if they were a shy or innocent type of person. 

I'm not talking my hurt.  Nope.

I am warning the unwary. 

Edited by Tooback

1 minute ago, Tooback said:

mislead or deceived and their affections played with

Just like real life

• Like 5

Cindy:
Not like rl.  This is a good point Cindy.  Thank you for bringing it up. 

In real life you can see the person, read their body language, look them in the eyes and know what they are thinking.  In fact you can look at them and pretty much know what sex they are and how old they are.  In second life, none of that is possible and in fact, many profiles insist that no rl facts will be provided.   So the opportunity for deceiption is very high in sl and what I am saying is that there is a nefarious culture within second life that exploits this ability to deceive to win people's affections so that they can be manipulated for lindens or ego gradification without regard to the true consequences of their actions on the other person.  This can result in serious injury for some people and that's why people leave second life.  It's ......that word I said.

Edited by Tooback

25 minutes ago, Tooback said:

I'm saying the vast majority of the people that have a bad experience in second life because they were mislead or deceived and their affections played with, do not overcome and for many, it is a serious injury, especially if they were a shy or innocent type of person. 

I'm not so sure this is true, though.  We get tons of posts here in the forums about folks that were deceived, hurt, etc... and most of those folks really do not leave SL, though some do take a break for a bit.

What makes you so sure that the "vast majority" leave due to a bad experience with deception/emotions/etc...?

12 minutes ago, Tooback said:

the opportunity for deceiption is very high in sl

There is no way to ever know for sure about anyone that you are talking to online - whether that be in forums, in SL chat or IMs, Facebook chat, or any other online communication method.  The cardinal rule the EVERYONE needs to learn is that you do not automatically trust folks online.  

12 minutes ago, Tooback said:

there is a nefarious culture within second life that exploits this ability to deceive to win people's affections so that they can be manipulated for lindens or ego gradification without regard to the true consequences of their actions on the other person.

If you've spent enough time in various online environments, you come to learn that this is true everywhere online, not just in SL.  I've heard of folks getting involved in relationships in other online games and getting hurt because one party lied.  

Truth be told, those that cannot handle getting butt-hurt on the internet probably shouldn't really be in SL anyway. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tooback said:

Please try to explain to me [...]

Why?  It's not like you would listen to any dissenting opinion anyway.  I don't have the time or patience.

Coffee.  I love coffee.  

I have done a lot of thinking about second life so this about second life and it is not about me. 

I think only a certain type of person finds second life interesting.  They have a good imagination and they like to fantize a lot.

Also there are several different types of people that inhibit second life.  There are the role players and the people who are themselves.

Also, studies have shown that the brain cannot really distinguish between virtual experiences and real life experiences.  Taking that on step further, studies have shown that people who have a low leverl of conscientiousness in their personality profiles are more affected by virtual experience and it carries over into real life.

What I am saying is a culture of deception by the long term users of second life  (8 years and longer) has arisen in second life and they think it is perfectly fine.

4 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I'm noticing a very distinct syntactic pattern in the OP's posts. It's... familiar ;)

Hint!

oh wait, I know who she is, forgot the name tho. Same hobby horse, ppl are mean.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tooback said:

Rhonda:

I know about you.  You were quoted in a scientific articles about prostitution on second life and you were interviewed as a prostitute.

Prostitutes sells their body for money.  They treat people like objects.  Prostitutes do not care about their customers just the money.

That is pernicious.  

You cannot respond because you are exactly the type of person I am talking about.

Now that is down right funny

:SwingingFriends:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tooback said:

I accept 15 couples out of  57,000,000 total accounts. 

I also think the message broad has a lot more posts about being deceived by someone in second life.

It's the culture.  Please do not call me names  

I'm sorry,  I dont know everyone in SL.. I would bet any odds the number is much much higher than 15... 

Also, calling you a bad troll isnt name calling, its stating fact. 

1 hour ago, Tooback said:

Rhonda:

I know about you.  You were quoted in a scientific articles about prostitution on second life and you were interviewed as a prostitute.

Prostitutes sells their body for money.  They treat people like objects.  Prostitutes do not care about their customers just the money.

That is pernicious.  

You cannot respond because you are exactly the type of person I am talking about.

Thanks for chatting up.

HOLD UP!!!! Rhonda is a hooker? Well, now.. Well, well, well now. 

I can help with that... Its all in how you hold the club. ;) I charge 1500L per hour for...classes. 

• Haha 2

I see a lot of people who have left second life and never come back.  [...]  And don't tell me they becames alts.  I usually stopped seeing them way before they disappeared.

Were they hiding from you?

• Haha 5

The reviews at https://www.commonsensemedia.org/website-reviews/second-life/user-reviews are fascinating. Worth reading, even though dated.

Many of the negative reviews seem to have been written by the same person. Look for run-on sentences, no paragraph breaks, and many spelling errors and typos.

The reviews from kids seem to run "I was addicted to this and it was bad for me" or "too much sex." There are complaints of nudity and sex in General areas. Maybe this was worse back in 2011-2012; I don't see much of that today. I suspect sex has moved to Tinder and Instagram.

Not sure how this affects new user retention.

"It is the duty of the police to suppress vice to the point that those not seeking it out are unaware of its existence." - Cleveland police chief, around 1900.

• Like 2

You've obviously never known anyone who actually works in the adult industry. 

Coffee:  We are getting off the subject but yes, I have.  Quite a few in real life in my younger days.   I have plenty of stories.  I will tell you one.

I knew this girl for 20 years who was in the business.  She would come to my house and we would have fun.  One day I went to her place but there some sort of unspoken delay going on (she had to wait until her bf left possibly?) because  I had to wait in a parking lot for about 45 minutes.  She was particularly affectionate that day, kisses and everything, when her boyfriend returned while we were, you know, in the bedroom.  He was a big black guy. She got all upset and everything stopped.  The black dude was totally pissed and blocking the front door.  I got dressed, gave the guy a smile and a wave and walked out never to come back.

A couple of years later I got a message from her saying she saw I called her.  This is not possible because I lost her number and could not call her if I wanted to.  She said she was robbed and wanted to come see me.  I told her I would be happy to take her to lunch and be friends.  I was not interested in seeing sex workers anymore. I no longer enjoyed the experience.  In addition, she was  now older and looked like a wash woman.  I liked her and wanted to be her friend.  She did not take me up on the offer for lunch.

A couple of months later, I another message from her.  She said she lost her house and just got out of rehab for opiods and was getting back in shape.  She wanted to come see me and again I told her I would like to take her to lunch.  Never hear back from her.

Here is a fascinating analysis of 10 young girls who became prostitutes.  The girls all objectifed both their clients, their pimps and themselves.  In essense they are in total denial of what they are doing according to this article.  They separate themselves from their actions which you cannot really do because, you know you are what you do.  That's why it is so important to becareful of what you do.  In rl and sl.  

https://www.jaacap.org/article/S0002-7138(09)60659-2/pdf

That's not the subject though.  I am proposing that second life has a nefarious culture of deception and that the game of second life is to win a person's affection for ego gratifcation and lindens.

Edited by Tooback

I think the reason why the user base doesn't grow is because SL is pretty old. Dinosaurs roamed the earth when SL was released. As far as user behavior, you must agree that anonymity breeds cruelty and we can see it in almost every community on the internet. There is also the oversaturated market for electronic entertainment. You can buy games by the shovel-load for the price of dirt.

• Like 1