On 8/7/2018 at 1:28 AM, EclecticJohn Niven said:

I am hoping that someone can tell me which independent agency audits the frequent SL "charity events".  In particular, what guarantee is made, and verified, that moneys donated reach the intended charity, who vets the charity itself (what % of money raised is actually spent on the cause, including the legal status of the charity), and where SecondLife posts this information prior to adding a "charity event to its message of the day?  All of these are just very basic due diligence, and SL owes us no less, in a very transparent manor.

I do not  donate to any charities in SL. I will and do donate to charities I know proceeds will be used as intended. So far, very few are IMHO using funds as intended and more go to pay CEO's salaries than intended charities use as intended. So, no. In world 0 dollars to charities. However, if I find something I want to buy in the RFL I will buy it but I will not give out money just because some "host" at a venue says they are collecting for this or that..... I do not even attend functions like this if I can help it.

9 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

And exactly how much of in world donations does RFL get?

Everything minus any applicable fees LL/paypal charges goes directly to RFL (like they would you, if you were to cash out), but you can find more information on the exact specifics (such as names, rl that is) both inworld in the RFL group by asking if someone can provide that info(or tell you who to contact), or on the webpage maybe(there's one for RFL in Sl, a quick search will bring it up). 

• Like 1

I know that every time I open Firestorm and somebody has their paw out it really brings out the Ebeneezer Scrooge in me but then I am a thrifty man and I believe that if the linden is not screaming in pain you are not holding it tight enough.

I have been in many RFL events for MANY years. However after they (AMC and Fantasy Faire) decided (after creators all signed up and paid their fees -- some pretty hefty) to send those AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY dollars to Kenya to build a hotel === I am out of there and will no longer take part in RFL events.   

So not only do we not know if the money is really getting to where  we want it to go, we often don't know how it will be used OR as mentioned how much of the money actually gets to the people we believe we are helping. 

Personally? I hand RL folks my real life dollars and I make sure (and ask) how much of that money is used for "overhead" and how much gets to the actual people who are supposedly being supported. In the US that information must be given if asked. 

I still donate and hope for the best, recently sending three full gacha sets to the Firestorm gacha fundraising event.  Hopefully those items will appear for folks to buy and hopefully they will make some money for the Firestorm crew as I would very much like to support their efforts, but again -- we never really know.

Edited by Chic Aeon

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have been in many RFL events for MANY years. However after they (AMC and Fantasy Faire) decided (after creators all signed up and paid their fees -- some pretty hefty) to send those AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY dollars to Kenya to build a hotel === I am out of there and will no longer take part in RFL events.   

So not only do we not know if the money is really getting to where  we want it to go, we often don't know how it will be used OR as mentioned how much of the money actually gets to the people we believe we are helping. 

Personally? I hand RL folks my real life dollars and I make sure (and ask) how much of that money is used for "overhead" and how much gets to the actual people who are supposedly being supported. In the US that information must be given if asked. 

I still donate and hope for the best, recently sending three full gacha sets to the Firestorm gacha fundraising event.  Hopefully those items will appear for folks to buy and hopefully they will make some money for the Firestorm crew as I would very much like to support their efforts, but again -- we never really know.

Kenya is a rich person's favourite feel-good, socially-approved charity destination of choice.  My uncle worked there voluntarily via Cafod for decades; small projects did help a few people but overall nothing changed.  It was wrong of ACS not to consult its donors in SL and, I'm afraid, typical of the committee's attitude in recent years.  There's a huge disconnect between the few at the top and the many working hard and in good faith to pay for more cancer research.  I haven't been involved for years, and frankly am more concerned about the thousands dying in my own country from lack of care.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Clarification.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:15 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Kenya is a rich person's favourite feel-good, socially-approved charity destination of choice.  My uncle worked there voluntarily via Cafod for decades; small projects did help a few people but overall nothing changed.  It was wrong of ACS not to consult its donors in SL and, I'm afraid, typical of the committee's attitude in recent years.  There's a huge disconnect between the few at the top and the many working hard and in good faith to pay for more cancer research.  I haven't been involved for years, and frankly am more concerned about the thousands dying in my own country from lack of care.

If you haven't been involved for years, how would you know there's this 'huge disconnect'?  ACS receives all in-world fund-raising dollars, except the fee LL charges.  ACS also provides a year round island (inworld) where services are offered 24/7 for those fighting cancer and those who are taking care of an ill loved one.  This service and the support groups are frequently visited.  We're fortunate that those who don't feel like leaving the comfort of their own homes can just log in.  Fantasy Faire is an independent mega event, who VERY generously supports Relay For Life with it's annual event.  They chose to dedicate their fundraising efforts to the Kenyan Hope Hostel that is currently being built and is part of an ACS effort.  It is basically a big 'Hope Lodge' which is what they are called in the US.  A place for families to stay while their loved one is receiving treatment for cancer.  I THINK that an IM to the coordinator of Fantasy Faire might have re-routed any fees if donating to the Kenyan Hope Hostel effort wasn't what was wanted by participants.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nikki Mathieson said:

If you haven't been involved for years, how would you know there's this 'huge disconnect'? 

It's all I ever hear from other people involved, most of whom are no longer willing to do so.  This was the case back in August last year when I made that comment and is still the case!

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

I have been a part of many SL charity event over the years. Last year I decided to stop supporting. I did have specific reasons for that -- mostly that what creators signed up to help with was not what we ended up helping with (if indeed we actually DID help).  So the rules changed AFTER we paid our fees. I was NOT good with that.  Even in RL we really don't know where our money is ACTUALLY going, so I prefer to donate time and energy rather than dollars. At least I know that is being used in the manner that I intended. 

We each have to make our choices. 

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Even in RL we really don't know where our money is ACTUALLY going, so I prefer to donate time and energy rather than dollars. At least I know that is being used in the manner that I intended. 

I think we can get a pretty good idea how charities spend money in RL. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I think we can get a pretty good idea how charities spend money in RL. 

it might be different in other contries, but where i live, all official charities have to publish their spending and income, even salary of their individual top employees
After reading the last i stopped every donation to them.

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Even in RL we really don't know where our money is ACTUALLY going, so I prefer to donate time and energy rather than dollars. At least I know that is being used in the manner that I intended. 

I'm not sure what country you're in, but in the US there are absolutely ways to check on how a nonprofit is spending money and decide if it is worthy or not.

And as a person who works for one of those nonprofits, I have to say that while we love your volunteering, we also still have to spend money to keep the lights turned on and some of us even want a paycheck. 

I encourage anyone to always do their due-diligence (I'm always happy to give people resources) when deciding what charities to support, but please understand that we need money far more than we need time and energy (unless it's an organization that provides mentoring services, etc). 

We have bills that have to be paid, too, and unfortunately the utility companies still expect cash.

• Like 1

If you are giving substantial amounts, the L$ conversions fees are an issue.  

It is more efficient to give in Real Life in your local currency.

The Lindex Conversion Fees as of today are:

Lindex *

• Buying L$    US$ 1.49/transaction
  • Selling L$    3.50%
  • Processing USD Credits    5% fee

An updated list is kept at: 
https://secondlife.com/corporate/pricing.php

Too bad LL doesn't have some kind of set up where the donations go directly to a charity bypassing the fees.  Although it would require said charity to have someone set up an account specifically for that purpose.

51 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Too bad LL doesn't have some kind of set up where the donations go directly to a charity bypassing the fees.  Although it would require said charity to have someone set up an account specifically for that purpose.

Covered here:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/310271-auto-process-credit-for-charity/ 

And here: 

Edited by Erwin Solo
Added yet another link/source.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Thanks! Someone had the same ideal long ago!

Yeah, and the answer is that it can't be done.