Animal roaming/wanderer script

MIVIMEX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That is a very large topic.  I suggest learning about pathfinding.  The basics of scripting pathfinding objects are not particularly difficult to understand, but I takes a lot of practice and experience to tune pathfinding critters and the landscape under them so that you have well-behaved roaming critters.  Poorly optimized pathfinding objects and poorly designed landscapes will result in creatures that get stuck, do not stay within proper boundaries,  and do not react well with avatars and other objects around them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Is that cheaper than pathfinding?   I ask because I do not know, but generally I suspect that trying to do things by script rather than let the simulator do them is going to be the least efficient way of proceeding.   

I'm very confident that doing some basic float math and setting a non-physical object's position is cheaper than creating an physics-enabled character and using navmesh with llWanderWithin.

How much cheaper? No idea, and it depends on implementation.
The difference could be insignificant, especially with how few/many of them exist at once.
I don't know how that compares to raycasting either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.