Texture Editing 101

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a noob when it comes to building and dealing with textures. Can someone recommend a good video tutorial? I see several online. Just want to watch the one that's most current

In a nutshell: I put a prefab home on a hill. And I then put a block shape under the home, and I'd like to copy one of the textures of the home and add it to the block under the home. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Egonya said:

I'm a noob when it comes to building and dealing with textures. Can someone recommend a good video tutorial? I see several online. Just want to watch the one that's most current

In a nutshell: I put a prefab home on a hill. And I then put a block shape under the home, and I'd like to copy one of the textures of the home and add it to the block under the home. 

Thanks.

You can't do that unless the builder gives you the texture. You "may" (depending on how the house is made and if it is modify) be able to take a "wall" with the texture you want to copy and resize and adjust the textures for your needs. 

Thanks for responding.

The prefab home is a Trompe Loeil, and according to the notecard that came with it: "All parts of the build except for scripts and animations should be both modify and copy. "

So I was hoping that means I can copy one of the textures and paste it onto a prim that I've created that's functioning as a kind of foundation for a place where I can't terraform the sloping land anymore to raise it to meet the home's base.

See the attached photo. I would like to take the texture from the home's prefab foundation (the strip of stone wall along the base) and add it to the prim that at the moment looks like natural wood.

Is that not possible?

faraway06_001.png

1 hour ago, Egonya said:

Can you all recommend stores where I can buy textures?

there are a few textures in your library part of the inventory already, perhaps some of the rock textures will match ( with some recoloring) .. if you find some free (mod) simple rocks you could easely landscape a bit around the fundations too( with the same texture)... will make it look more natural.

If you find a stone texture you like you "might" be able to change the stone foundation in the Tromple Loeil house. I would TEST on another copy of the house though. To do this you use the Select Face feature on the Texture tab of the build menu. Then click on the texture you want to change (say the file cabinet main part here) then choose the texture you want to use OR drag the texture into that square that shows the texture.    BUT it will depend if that rock area is the ONLY part that is rock. Seems likely that it would be.  

There is also MATCHING grass for mainland in the Library textures. I know as I used that when I moved in March :D. So your prim could become "grass. 

image.thumb.png.c94000ab667103f964ea95a39222247e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Textures inside purchased products are almost always protected.  So start building your own library of textures and there are tons of free ones that are still usable and pertinent as you'll see.  Search MP for Texture Organizer and such.  I used to find free textures at sandboxes long ago.  You'll get in the habit of finding and collecting.

As for your porch you could blank that base prim and tint it solid black and then put your own lattice over it to make it seem the porch is built on posts and lattice with dark shadow behind it where the porch rests over air.  That's really the construction of that porch anyway, and it would be fun on that.  Or just shrink that base prim back a bit, again blanked and blackened and raise it up into that void under the actual porch.  Then apply transparency so that it becomes deep dark shadow,  and then actually set corner posts of your own making and run lattice of your own devise between them.  That would be hardest since the lattice works won't exactly match but would be a fun experiment and you might actually surprise yourself.

Or just put your posts and no new lattice and leave the blank space open (the faux shadow) and see that that works.  Or finally, give up trying to match old things (which is what I would do) and simply work toward accentuating such difference as is often seen in porches that are added onto to older houses, such as running a brick underpinning or stucco... or other creative ideas that you hatch.   

Since you are the builder of this creative approach you can (and certainly will) alter it, add to it,  touch it up every day that you log on and see it anew.  Soon you get it to what you really like.

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.