*sigh* stupid BOXES!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A lot of people have better avi's than me. =\ and when i got to the marketplace and try to get cool free stuff (cause i have no money) it only comes up with a box with the picture on it. so i cant wear it! :smileysad: does anyone know were i can get cool free things like hair or anything for female avis that are NOT boxes? :smileywink:

Lots of things that you will buy, both inworld and on the Marketplace, come with lots of separate parts, so they need to be packed in a box or sign for delivery.

After you have unpacked it, as described by pervious posters, it will create a new folder in your inventory that contains all the parts.

Packages can look like anything, some are even very cool objects, so you always have to check using "open" to see if there is stuff inside things that you buy or get given.

Not being able to open boxes drove me almost to tears when I started.   But at least now I can take comfort in the fact I know that nothing in SL, not even the complicated scripting or building problem, can possibly be as impossible as once I thought opening boxes must be, and that turned out not to be too difficult after all.

First, make sure you are logged in using "advanced mode" in the drop down menu on the log in screen.

Then, find somewhere you can rez stuff (type in "sandbox" in search if you need to) and follow the simple instructions outlined here

If you are new to Secondlife, it can be sometimes difficult to find somewhere to rez and unpack boxes.

Sometimes a shop will have a dedicated "rezzing" zone for your purchases, or you can use a public sandbox. Just rez the box on the ground, then the products within it can be extracted. Some items will be "no-copy" so can only be taken from the box one time, and others set up so copies can be taken as many times as you want. Some boxes will be set up to automatically unpack if you click on them, and others you will have to click on and unpack 'manually'.

If you don't have access to land where you can rez items - no problem. Some people new to SL don't realise that if you wear the box you can then click to "edit" it, and then go to the contents tab. You can then drag items directly from the box you are wearing into your inventory without having had to rez it on land. This works on about 90% of boxes, but some you will still have to rez on the ground to unpack.

Also, it is useful to make sure you set up some clearly named folders and subfolders in your inventory, so you can find things easily when you want to use them. It is surprising how quickly you amass items in your inventory and it can become very disorganised very quickly.

It is worth mentioning that not all freebie items are legal. Some are prirated illegal copies, and if the Lindens find you wearing illegal copies or storing illegal items in you inventory they are within their rights to shut down your account. So it it allways better to buy freebies from legitimate sources, which will often be the original creator.

When I was new to SL, it was my finding that a lot of freebie boxes would not open no matter where I rezzed them.

I see that not much is changed.

My suggestions are:

1) Ask people to give you copies of stuff straight from their inventories. Don't be shy. 

2) Start making your owns stuff sooner, rather than later. If nothing else, this will slow you down buying stuff that you realize you could eventually make by yourself - especially if you think you can do better.

Hi!

At first I would click "wear" on the title of the box and wind up with boxes attached all over my avatar. That was fun!

I figured it out pretty quick, though, and went looking for a sandbox. Problem is, a lot of sandboxes are popular places where pranksters hang out, and they'd attach boxes to me anyway.

I have a couple of places where I usually like to open my packages. They're not sandboxes, but I look on the map and try to find an empty region so I can have some privacy. Ideally, I guess, you'd have your own private land, but hoboes have to make do. I'm sure I'm quite a spectacle, surrounded by boxes and switching avatars out in the open. (I'm new here, too).

Don't forget to right click on your emptied box and choose "delete". If you choose "take", you'll wind up with a huge mess in your inventory. I've spent days cleaning mine out.

The French Quarter has a huge freebie section where you can get all the free avatars you'll probably need. They're a little short on females, but have males and non-human avatars to the Max. I spent about 8 hours in the box-opening area there this morning.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.