What program use to create a mesh house?

Stoonna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, hope you're having an lovely day.

I'm about to return to SL, since I have been away for some RL issues, and I would like to return using my creativity.

So, I would like give a try to build stuff. I would like to know how I can create a mesh house.

There's other ways to create a house, without being on the game? What are the best programs? Blender? 3ds Max?

Thank you all!

Here are 190 reasons a month to use blender over 3DS Max

ktP0Whe.png

In all seriousness, there is nothing related to modelling for SL that you can't do in Blender, there are tons of tutorials and if you need help, a huge community building stuff with it specifically for SL right here.

I wont say it's easy to learn, but then neither is 3DS Max once you get past the more familiar windows point and click user interface.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Here are 190 reasons a month to use blender over 3DS Max

ktP0Whe.png

In all seriousness, there is nothing related to modelling for SL that you can't do in Blender, there are tons of tutorials and if you need help, a huge community building stuff with it specifically for SL right here.

I wont say it's easy to learn, but then neither is 3DS Max once you get past the more familiar windows point and click user interface.

Lol. Thank you for this, I was thinking it was a LOT cheap than this, Jesus.

• Like 1

YVW, Stoonna….

Don't give up...it's not easy...I can't imagine anyone creating even a simple house when new to Blender without studying it a few weeks or months at least.

Be sure to get a wig to cover up the bald spots on your head..;0  I'm surprised my computer survived..

• 8 months later...

I would expect that anything it exports will end up needing to be UV mapped for SL use, so you're going to have to use blender ... so you might as well just learn blender as there is a high chance that by the time you have worked out uv unwrapping and tuning meshes for SL ... you will have outgrown the house designer and it will just be holding you back.

Hello,

There are "secret weapons" specific softwares, but unfortunately, it is impossible to speak about it here, on this forum.

For example, do you know there is a piece of software, somewhere, to rig automatically any 3D objects for Second Life skeleton ?

Do you know there is, somewhere a piece of software to manage specifically the LOD of animesh specifically for Second life for any 3D objects ?

In fact the best softwares, even and mainly, if they are dedicated to Second life / Sansar, they can't be mentioned on this forum.

To answer to the main question, as we can only speak about a limited things here, Cinema4D is very good and it is not sale under subscription, there is somewhere plugins to manage UVmap and more for Second life specifically. And no need to buy the full version, prime is enough.

I hope my post will be not deleted.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pandora778 said:

What is your opinion in using live home 3d for creating houses for SL any thoughts please before i do spend money. Thank you I appreciate it

Hello,

Sketchup from Google is nice too, and there is somewhere too a piece of software to adapt the Obj / Dae file exported by Sketchup for Second life and Sansar.

And so, we can even use Sansar or Second life to use professional architect design and even on professional area.

Now, it is time to run away before blender clan drops on me :)

6 hours ago, Motoko Oanomochi said:

And so, we can even use Sansar or Second life to use professional architect design and even on professional area.

There are two reasons why professional architects and designers can't use Second Life as thei work platform and neither has anything to do with the modelling software they use.

One is SL's TOS. By uploading a model to Second Life, you give Linden Lab quite extensive rights to use your work, far mroe extensive than what is possible for a professional architect or design bureau to accept.

The second reason is that SL requires game assets while RL design requires CAD models. These are two completely different branches of 3D modelling. You should never subsitute one for the other and no professional modeller would ever even think of doing so.

As for what software to use, it doesn't matter much as long as it can produce clean meshes with no superfluous polys or vertices. Good game assets creation is 99.9% the technical skills of the creator, 0.1% the functions of the modelling software.

• Like 1

Hello,

On the past, SL was used a lot for architect preview, it is a reality, and really we don't care the dae file is on SL platform, because there is no problem with TOS, the dae file is not the model.

Now, there is Sansar, of course, I need add CAD preview uses more and more real time render engine, or half real time engine.

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

The second reason is that SL requires game assets while RL design requires CAD models. These are two completely different branches of 3D modelling. You should never subsitute one for the other and no professional modeller would ever even think of doing so.

This should be every 3d artists mantra. 

Hello,

There are many ways to design 3D objects, but there is one almost never mentioned here, for purpose ?

I am doing it in this post.

A 3D object implies 3 steps :

1, design , a design totally disconnected of the final render engine you target, really totally disconnected. I will take examples after1. By design, I speak about the precise description of the objects, by formulae, by pure design, by program, by hands too. Or a mix of all of these.

2, how the model will composed by quad / polygon. In this step, it is important to target the render engine you choice, but with the composer musts to work even if you return on step one and change the model, no matter, the composer will generate new quad / polygon. It is where you create LOD too, and as the composer has a deep knowledge of its task and model, no need to waste time of human designers here.

3, exporter, an important step where you will explain to the software the format you wish and how to assemble or disassemble all the parts of the design to generate the format of your choice.

Examples :

Step 1, a simple model, let say a tube deformed to make a nice bottle, I will describe my tube with a formulae, it is an example, you can do it manually, by hands and mouse or Wacom .

Let write something as ( tube ( splinecurve ( x,yz) (...) (...)  ) additional parameters as nocap )  nocap to keep the hole of the bottle :) 

So my model is a formulae, but I can add manually on the 3D model a break point and curve by hand the upper part of the bottle as example.

An other example, a wall , I make a simple schema of a wall, almost a cube :) and I add by description 3 windows, by default the windows will have a standard shape, I can change it of course, and I can of course change the position of windows by formulae, by hands, randomly even for the fun.

It is how the first step musts to be done. At this step, it is pure design, and at no moment I need think about mesh composing.

Now step 2,  I will choice firstly the type of render engine, real time, half real time or photorealism sometime called "offline".

After this, I will choice many parameters, quad or not, auto adaptation, number of LOD, and so one. Of course, the composer knows the model perfectly and creates perfect LOD for my wall or tubes, because composer and designer are disconnected but composer knows the model enough. It is why the same model will use 1500 polygons or 15000 polygons or more depends the render engine I target. It is why for example, a displacement will generate polygons for photorealism engine and will generate texture for real time engine ! it is why there is checkboxes to select the render engine, and of course, why not add Second life and Sansar, as we added Infinite Sim on 2014 / 2015 largely before Sansar :)  And of course, I can change the model and ask to the composer new generation and change the render engine at any time.

Step 3, the exporter, it is where I will select the file format and many parameters to be sure the file will be uploaded easily and with minimal effort on the target platform.

Edited by Motoko Oanomochi

I will take the risk :) to say, for example a cloth software with name begins by M ... and ends by R is a good example.

Ok, I know already it is the worse example for lot of peoples here, and I already opened my umbrella, but there is nice tools to create a true composer with auto rig for real time engine for this software. 

Same things for Sketchup, a clue with Sketchup is to use this software to create elements of the house, and not the all house, so you can use these elements easily under Cinema4D and even blender, yes even blender which has a nice function with grid magnet :)

To make easier example for my attempt to explain

Let say we wish to make H2O molecule on Second life.

Model is ( draw ( molecule  'H2O ) 'plot '3d )   ok, it is done :)  , What ? don't tell me you use blender for this :)  no seriously ? you don't use Internet knowledge ? you don't use standard RDF file and SparQl language ?

Ok my 3D model is done, at least for me it is perfect. Ah and yes, it is so easy to be sure the model will tell the composer, O has not same color as H :) on the uvmap itself

Now, the composer, (setq myModel ( draw ( molecule  'H2O ) 'plot '3d )   ) and of course, something like (compose myModel ('realTimeEngine ( 'LOD 3 ) ) )

I decomposed a lot, but the fact to assign the model to a variable calls the composer automatically, of course. Function draw can take a lot of parameters, and of course you can ask myModel to be rendered as preview, and the nice thing it is possible to edit it by hands ! and the variable myModel will memorise all change made by hands.

And finally export it , ( export myModel ('secondLife 'LPE 'SLLODRulesName 'Dae ) )

All done :)  I made the demonstration at SLB, in the past, some years ago with more complex stuffs :)

Edited by Motoko Oanomochi
many typo :)

If you do decide to learn blender, I would recommend starting with the beta version 2.8.  Although it is beta quality, it will become the next release, and the user interface is very different to blender 2.79.  I am using it exclusively now and love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anna2358 said:

If you do decide to learn blender, I would recommend starting with the beta version 2.8.  Although it is beta quality, it will become the next release, and the user interface is very different to blender 2.79.  I am using it exclusively now and love it.

THIS.

2.8 is excellent and talks a lot of the pain out of the general workflow, it's not perfect and it's still blender, but it's night and day nicer than 2.79 to work with.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 8:05 PM, Motoko Oanomochi said:

Hello,

Sketchup from Google is nice too, and there is somewhere too a piece of software to adapt the Obj / Dae file exported by Sketchup for Second life and Sansar.

Now, it is time to run away before blender clan drops on me :)

Hi Motoko,

I was reading this thread hoping to find answers to some of my mesh house building problems. Your mention of SketcUp caught my attention because I am a SketchUp user and then I export it a DAE for Blender to create AO and Texture maps in Blender. If you don't mind I would like to seek your advise or tips in making mesh houses in SketchUp. 

1. I have a problem in uploading the finished house in Second Life wherein the Texture maps and the AO maps doesn't show inworld when I export the house I created from SketchUp from Blender with the baked textures and AO. The house is all gray and some faces are scattered around even though I ticked the "include textures" when uploading.

2. My avatar cannot enter the house when uploaded it. It's like as if the mesh house is a solid block even though there's an opened door on it.

How can I upload a finished mesh house I created from SketchUp then exported as DAE for Blender to bake the AO and texture maps then exported as DAE to be uploaded for Second Life? Help!

2 hours ago, jimbozman said:

1. I have a problem in uploading the finished house in Second Life wherein the Texture maps and the AO maps doesn't show inworld when I export the house I created from SketchUp from Blender with the baked textures and AO. The house is all gray and some faces are scattered around even though I ticked the "include textures" when uploading.

That sounds like the old multi-UV-map problem. SketchUp can only handle single material meshes so each material/face is exported as a separate mesh, each with a separate UV map. You need to join the UV maps before you join the actual meshes in Blender. Select each mesh and rename the UV map for them one by one. It doesn't matter what name you give them, as long as it's exactly the same for them all.

2 hours ago, jimbozman said:

2. My avatar cannot enter the house when uploaded it. It's like as if the mesh house is a solid block even though there's an opened door on it.

Assuming you remembered to chaneg the physics type to prim after you uploaded, you need to make a separate physics model for something like a house. There are ltos of info how to do that in old forum threads - I can't find any right now, maybe somebody else can? Or maybe Chic has a tutorial about it?

While we're at it, manualy made LoD models are also important for a good SL house. Everything that is clearly visible form the outside need to be rock solid and never ever collapse, no matter what LoD factor and view distance you have. Everything inside needs to be reduced down to match the view distances allowed by line of sight. There is no way a computer algorithm can do that so it's up to you as the creator to get it right.

5 hours ago, jimbozman said:

Hi Motoko,

I was reading this thread hoping to find answers to some of my mesh house building problems. Your mention of SketcUp caught my attention because I am a SketchUp user and then I export it a DAE for Blender to create AO and Texture maps in Blender. If you don't mind I would like to seek your advise or tips in making mesh houses in SketchUp. 

How can I upload a finished mesh house I created from SketchUp then exported as DAE for Blender to bake the AO and texture maps then exported as DAE to be uploaded for Second Life? Help!

Hello,

This topic will help you a lot, I guess. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.