hide your RL picture ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good evening, everyone,
And to begin, thank you to the community for helping all those who need it. It has already helped me a lot.

I have a question to which I did not find an answer in the various subjects already treated (except if I badly sought).
I just posted an RL photo in the first life part of my IW profile.
I would like to know if there is a possibility that only my friends can see it? 

Edited by Faenavia

1. unless Firestorm has a new feature (and I am doubting) then he answer is no, everyone can see. 

2. Even if there was a feature in Firestorm (they add things people ask for) those in other viewers could see (as far as I know).

3. It is probably unwise to put your RL photo in your profile as a google image search COULD find you.

4. Most people of a certain age (after newbie) will understand that what you post there may not have anything to do with the "real" you :D.

Only a VERY few people fill out that pane of the profile and that has been the case for way over a decade.

Nothing to do with which viewer you use (even if its bloatStorm).  Its the daft my*secondlife unfinished social want-to-be thing where anyone logged in to it can see unless you change the settings - everyone - second life - friends for all the bits. Other hand anyone quoting Sweet Dreams gets a plus 10

22 hours ago, Faenavia said:

I just posted an RL photo in the first life part of my IW profile.
I would like to know if there is a possibility that only my friends can see it? 

No, the information you place in your profile is viewable by everyone. It's also shown on https://my.secondlife.com/faenavia

To deal with the privacy issues, most people will rez a prim and place their real life photo on it if they wish to show it to friends. 

In my opinion there are a few unstable people in SL. Some of the nicest people can turn nasty. Any real life information shared can be regretted later, so my advice is to please always be rather protective of disclosing anything real life, and that includes to lovers.

• Like 5

Most people presume the RL pictures is an internet grab. Many will put an SL or meme picture there. I use a baby picture myself.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:12 PM, Chic Aeon said:

1. unless Firestorm has a new feature (and I am doubting) then he answer is no, everyone can see.

I cannot help but laugh when people presume everyone uses Firestorm. :) Though I think you meant "Unless LL has a created a new feature...."

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Most people presume the RL pictures is an internet grab. Many will put an SL or meme picture there. I use a baby picture myself.

I cannot help but laugh when people presume everyone uses Firestorm. :) Though I think you meant "Unless LL has a created a new feature...."

Well 75% or so of the user base is a good amount and I DID mean Firestorm creations. Many of the features that make FS so popular were crafted by the Firestorm devs. Many of those additions to the code have been incorporated BACK into the Linden viewer.  Linden Lab of course creates much of the backbone of the viewer code, Firestorm devs look at ways to make what we have more useful. 

I guess it might depend on what you consider a feature to be.   Since I don't code, I cannot say if at this point in time a FS (or other 3Drd party viewer) could take what is existing and make the OP's request a reality.  I do know that many of the features that are regularly added to Firestorm have come from user requests. 

37 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well 75% or so of the user base is a good amount and I DID mean Firestorm creations. Many of the features that make FS so popular were crafted by the Firestorm devs. Many of those additions to the code have been incorporated BACK into the Linden viewer.  Linden Lab of course creates much of the backbone of the viewer code, Firestorm devs look at ways to make what we have more useful. 

I guess it might depend on what you consider a feature to be.   Since I don't code, I cannot say if at this point in time a FS (or other 3Drd party viewer) could take what is existing and make the OP's request a reality.  I do know that many of the features that are regularly added to Firestorm have come from user requests. 

I understand all this. My point was that for something like being able to hide a tab in the profile it has to work across all browser at the system (LL) level, so it doesn't matter who creates the code. Just saying. As for the share of FS to others, I've seen number bounce around from 40% to 60% - but regardless, that is a moot point. There are more than just FS and LL viewers out there, so if LL is pulling in at say 30%, that doesn't mean FS is at 70%. Just saying, again.

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.