Security orb in Linden Homes area

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Somewhat to my surprise, the Linden Homes areas allow security orbs. I was just shot down by one while overflying in an aircraft in Violin. This may be some local feud; ban lines are rare in Linden Homes areas, but two adjacent houses there both have different defensive measures. I overflew one parcel with a security orb and got the threat, then hit the ban line of the other one. While trying to get out of that, I was shot down by the security orb. Very annoying combo.

We really need a better solution to those things. There's an effort underway to map security orbs and ban lines for aircraft usage. That may help.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, animats said:

Somewhat to my surprise, the Linden Homes areas allow security orbs. I was just shot down by one while overflying in an aircraft in Violin. This may be some local feud; ban lines are rare in Linden Homes areas, but two adjacent houses there both have different defensive measures. I overflew one parcel with a security orb and got the threat, then hit the ban line of the other one. While trying to get out of that, I was shot down by the security orb. Very annoying combo.

We really need a better solution to those things. There's an effort underway to map security orbs and ban lines for aircraft usage. That may help.

Yeah, sorry... I'm not gonna turn off my banlines so you can fly freely. :)

• Like 1

The Linden Homes regions flying game: 

Assume all houses protected by ban lines.  Ban lines follow the Outline of the home and the paving stones (very easy to see on the meadowbrook and the tahoe styles).  The Trees are mostly Phantom.

So.....   1) Get a smaller aircraft   2) Stay below rooftops when flying.    3) and GO REAL FAST!  xD   

Is very FUN!    Kinda like flying the Death Star trench in Star Wars.  Ban lines instead of lasers!   

Sec Orbs in Linden homes:  Not really makes sense to me.  If ya only have 175li, use the ban lines.    Again reiterating they follow the visual cues of the house and paving stones.   If you really  want an access control for the Linden Home that you and alts can use.   Is doable to script a dohicky so your premium owner and your 'selected avatars'  can work the banline access.   

It would be REALLY REALLY COOL!  If in the Mini-map there was an option for banline parcels to be colored bright warning red.   Just no beeping klaxon.   :P

I think all the Linden Home continents have extensive public parks running through them, especially in the larger areas in-between the different housing themes.  Fly over those areas instead of over homes. 

Setting ban lines (or not) is a legitimate option provided by the land parcel tools, so it is a legitimate right that a parcel owner (or a renter with those parcel powers) to do so, if they want.  Likewise, security orbs have not been banned from the world yet, so again, a legitimate option for parcel owners to use if they choose to buy one.  Even some of the private estates allow you to use one for your parcel, and at least one estate will even provide the orb to be used on their estate.  

As was touched upon in one of the other threads, there are a lot of competing "wants" between different groups of people in SL.  Given the freedom we each have in choosing what to do in world, that's not surprising.  

24 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Orbs are unneccesary (but not forbidden) in Lindenhomes but they have a purpose in areas that allow skyboxes...

I think they have a purpose on the ground also - for keeping out people without having visible ban lines

• Like 3

"Shot down" - really? No, no you were not "shot down" at all.

To be "shot down" you'd have to be fired at by actual weapons, have them hit your plane and have a script system register "damage" high enough to cause it to cease to function. Alternately you could have been over an area that has the in built Linden Damage system enabled and been shot at by actual, scripted weapons which dropped your "health" to zero and force teleported you home.

Being ejected/teleported out by a security system is not being "shot down" at all.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 5:01 PM, animats said:

The solution is not to fly in that area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

That type of HUD can't detect scripted security systems, which is the topic of the thread. Of course, most of the other replies didn't realize that either.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That type of HUD can't detect scripted security systems, which is the topic of the thread. Of course, most of the other replies didn't realize that either.

Yes, I know - it was mostly a sarcastic response to the always sarcastically-mannered Prok. :) 

The actual solution is to ensure you are at least 60-70 meters above "ground level" - unless the orb owner cheats by placing it much higher off the ground than is necessary.

Edited by Alyona Su

45 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, I know - it was mostly a sarcastic response to the always sarcastically-mannered Prok. :) 

The actual solution is to ensure you are at least 60-70 meters above "ground level" - unless the orb owner cheats by placing it much higher off the ground than is necessary.

Set orb to "parcel" or similar setting, done. No "safe zone" above the parcel. 

Again, outside of Linden owned or "protected" land, there is no such thing as public land or sea or air space in Second Life. Vehicle owners explore/travel through parcels at the whim of the person actually paying for it. 

Like it or not, that's reality. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

whats the cheating in this? .. the owner owns the air as far the servers let him travel up too...

Actually they should not place them there in a Linden home... There's rules on how high you can build. Setting them to "whole parcel" however is most likely OK.

Edited by Fionalein

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Actually they should not place them there in a Linden home... There's rules on how high you can build. Setting them to "whole parcel" however is most likely OK.

the only reason i see why it would not be allowed at Linden Homes it's because you'r not allowed to have skyboxes or platforms at all ..
but at the other side.. it's still your home, your land.. can't really come up with  a valid reason to grant access to others if you don't want that.

• Like 1

The aviation community in SL is working hard on new mapping systems for aerial navigation to help locate hostile areas.

securityorbmap.png.54bd662337d262ec2d737ef59a219fdf.png

Shergood Aviation map of Second Life. Orange circles are known security orbs. Shows airports, waypoints, and aircraft equipped with transponders.

This is a recently added feature. Not all orbs have been listed yet. Aircraft and avatars equipped with the appropriate sensor script report these automatically, so anything interfering with aerial navigation should be mapped soon.

The map is available on the web, and there are HUDs and instrument panels which display it in real time.

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if on that huge map only so few orbs are around... what is the problem with them? can get around it by miles.

I doubt they detected all of them... seems like they only fly along coastlines...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.