how to get rid of the lag

Klaus1986

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I am new still, but I went to a sim yesterday no one is there like it was a ghost town but the lag is really bad. 

how do you reduce it or get rid of it, is this why its a ghost town.

also how do you filter places that do not exist any more I went to a few places yesterday and the places list does not exist and I went to two of them and people was living there the stores did not exist no more.

There is a difference between 'lag' and 'latency' and such. Most people call sluggish response "lag" and there are several causes, usually in this order:

• The number of other Avatars in the region (the more that are visible the worse it is). This is the single, biggest factor of lag in general because it chokes both: your local computer and the SL servers. Turn down your Draw distance and use a light-weight viewer (like the Official LL viewer, Catznip, and a couple others; Firestorm, Kokua and others are rather large resource pigs in my user-experience (no matter what their devs say about it))
  • Badly created textures *everywhere* - people are not bright enough (read: Amateur) to know how to create Web-Optimized textures; they are creating 1024x1024 over-bloated textures when a 64x64 will do just fine. So turn down your draw distance (128 to 512 should be way plenty for anyone)
  • Graphics system on your computer is struggling - turn down some of those really fancy features on your Graphics setting. materials and water reflections are gorgeous, but then you have to decide where your priorities are: Performance or pretty pictures.

There, start with taking care of these items first. Then ask what else you can do. Giving your computer specs is a moot point and unnecessary. The fact is no matter what your computer specs are, these three points I've mentioned are the primary cause of your lag and therefore, you need to adjust your settings to compensate, no matter what your specs are (the more powerful your system the less compromise will be required and vice-versa).

S.I.M.

P.L.E.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Strange strange - I run around with 32 m draw distance and that still kills me in some shops. "Dropping" it to 512 won't help about 80% of the SL user population ...

it would kill most people... you'd have to render a area that spreads over 21 sims !! ...yes that will really reduce lag  ...absurd.

One sim is only 256 meters...

( stand in the middle of the most middle one... you'd render two full sims left, right, front and back, and the overlapping ones in between )

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Klaus1986 said:

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I am new still, but I went to a sim yesterday no one is there like it was a ghost town but the lag is really bad. 

Lag in SL is a big of a blanket term for 'poor performance' Be specific and we might be able to help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Klaus1986 said:

how do you reduce it or get rid of it, is this why its a ghost town.

If there were no people there then possible too many large textures and/or objects with lots of bad scripts. If you don't typically experience that kind of lag, then you might just need to reduce settings in places like that or avoid them.

7 hours ago, Klaus1986 said:

also how do you filter places that do not exist any more I went to a few places yesterday and the places list does not exist and I went to two of them and people was living there the stores did not exist no more.

Best I know, there is no way to really know ahead of time or filter such out.

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If there were no people there then possible too many large textures and/or objects with lots of bad scripts. If you don't typically experience that kind of lag, then you might just need to reduce settings in places like that or avoid them.

It could also be the region is on a sim with some other bogged down regions.

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Strange strange - I run around with 32 m draw distance and that still kills me in some shops. "Dropping" it to 512 won't help about 80% of the SL user population ...

dropping your jelly limit to 20,000 will help though

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

And how will that limit bad texture use by stores, if I may ask?

oh it won't, but you already knew that.

After u jelly everyone derender anything in the store build that moves, rotates, flashes or gives off particles. 

Stores with any of those things usually also have a script meter that tells you to remove all your unnecesary scripts so everyone can enjoy the store fluff

Edited by Phorumities
added a word

The other thing that might be contributing to the issues the OP mentioned are too-frequent updates, such as changing textures on surfaces. As an experiment in the island I ran we tried using sensors and freezing surfaces unless there was somebody close enough to actually see what was on it. The downside to this was that people who liked to arrive at the landing spot and cam round the whole sim assumed there was nothing going on, so I ended up often putting a "Come on in and the show will begin" sign on a frozen face.

My understanding is that to jelly-doll an avatar the viewer has already had to do as much of the calculations as it does to actually then render them, so in the worst case it is simply giving the people who used to shout about high ARC's something new to target.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

All the solutions offered only address client side lag. The other problem we have is that LL reduced the resources available to regions - cut them in HALF (probably doubling the number of regions per physical server) about a year ago. It was an overnight immediate drop in performance which could be measured using a Mono scripting torture test in a virtually empty region.

LL refuses to admit (or acknowledge) they made a change despite all the performance testing which says otherwise. I strongly suspect that resources were taken from SL to give to Sansar, which really sucks because it appears that we are paying for SL AND LL's pet Sansar project.

LL is bringing some new features to SL such as Bakes on Mesh and AniMesh, but to be very frank here, unless the servers have the horsepower to handle it (and they don't) it's just going to make everything worse. Already LL has completely abandoned the concept of grid-wide Experience Keys which would have made that whole system MUCH more useful. It's sad, because it's pushing people away.

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.