A website owned by an Israelian online marketing company has been ripping SL video contents on YT and advertising them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been seeing SL video ads from this particular YT channel called WWGDB, which isn't really out of the place if not for the fact that the videos they use to advertise SL and their website are clearly ripped off from other videos, either from SL's official YT channel or from some other YT channels.

Up until this point I thought that maybe LL and the other content creators of those videos had a deal with the website so I don't think it's too weird, but just now I saw a rip of one of my SL videos being advertised by them, so now I know that these people might be using people's videos without their explicit permission. I checked their website further and saw that the website is owned by an Israelian-based online marketing company called Pikoya.

Do LL have a deal with these people? If so then I can see no wrong in them using these videos as any machinimas containing SL contents might be rightfully owned by LL according to the ToS about machinima or something. And I don't really mind having one of my videos being re-purposed to advertise SL, as that's what the video was originally for anyway.

These videos they ripped off are clearly heavily advertised with millions of views on them. The thing is the way they repurposed the videos are just a bit off, as evident by the horrible like/dislike ratio on their videos, which made me question whether or not this company really has something to do with LL.

Almost everything about the website and their channel just seem sketchy to me. What do you guys think?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

send them a message and ask?

report as stolen content to YT?

I wanted to, but as I said in my post I wasn't sure if these people have anything to do with LL, because if they do then they might actually have the right to repurpose those videos.

These stolen videos are actually doing disservice to SL by smearing its name, I checked the comments on the videos and most of them are negative just like the like / dislike ratio because they are so badly edited, and millions of people who watched the videos might not realize that these are stolen videos and are not SL's official videos.

Here's one of the stolen videos;

If you read the comments you can see that people are not realizing that it's not a video by SL's official channel and are making fun of it, it's really ridiculous. 

@Linden Lab @Tommy Linden

Edited by lucagrabacr
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

I wanted to, but as I said in my post I wasn't sure if these people have anything to do with LL, because if they do then they might actually have the right to repurpose those videos.

you can always try to tag one of the forum Lindens in your post and see if they think it's needed to give a sign to their legal department.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

Crazy thing is, these SL vids attract over 60,000 views in as many days while the other vids on the channel get about 5

Yeah, I believe they got the views from advertising the videos (I know because I saw them as advertisements while watching other videos other than from finding out their channel when looking for SL videos on YT)

1 hour ago, lucagrabacr said:

If you read the comments you can see that people are not realizing that it's not a video by SL's official channel and are making fun of it, it's really ridiculous. 

YT consumers, aka millenials ... xD

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Public Service Announcement:

If the scenario described by the OP in this thread bothers you then you should post your videos to VIMEO DOT COM as it is superior to "YT" with regard to 1) your actual privacy (non-existant with YT), 2) the audience actual privacy (non-existant with YT), and most importantly: Author controls, such as blocking specific websites from embedding your content and not having your competitors' videos show up as "Next Video" at the end-of-play, etc (impossible with YT). 

This Public Service Announcement is now concluded.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2018 at 9:46 AM, Alyona Su said:

Public Service Announcement:

If the scenario described by the OP in this thread bothers you then you should post your videos to VIMEO DOT COM as it is superior to "YT" with regard to 1) your actual privacy (non-existant with YT), 2) the audience actual privacy (non-existant with YT), and most importantly: Author controls, such as blocking specific websites from embedding your content and not having your competitors' videos show up as "Next Video" at the end-of-play, etc (impossible with YT). 

This Public Service Announcement is now concluded.

All that and Vimeo doesn't censor videos according to their political agenda.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Saz Ninetails said:

These people have downloaded and then re uploaded content, not embedding. I know of one that has at least 2 channels removed for breach of copyright.

This is why professionals put a *WATERMARK* on their stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.