SL = Video Game

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In my opinion, SL per se is not a video game. To me, it's rather a virtual place you enter to play games at, or to role-play, or to build, or to socialize, or to do whatever you feel like doing.

A video game has objectives, goals set by its creators. Points to collect, an "enemy" to beat or subdue, a storyline to follow, etc. SL per se doesn't have any of that...
A video game is full of optimized content built by designers employed by the game company. SL, on the other hand, is full of mostly unoptimized content built by its users.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I don't cry when I play a game and lose.

A game doesn't rip my heart out and hand it to me and say here deal with it.

So no, Second Life is in no way shape or form a game to me.

To others maybe, but not me. 

I get what you're saying, but some games have actually done that to me - granted, I'm super emotional and quite easy to be absorbed in storylines. :/

As for the big question - I actually don't care whether or not SL is considered to be a game or not. For some it is, for some it isn't, both are valid in my opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I actually don't care whether or not SL is considered to be a game or not. For some it is, for some it isn't, both are valid in my opinion.

This. Sometimes Sukubia is full of wisdom, sometimes she slaps the cake of of my hands. =^.^=

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Yeah not almost, "totally"

All the reasons brought forth so far in all the threads across the interwebs would lead to the following games not being considered "games" either: railroad modelling, Dungeons and Dragons, Lego, hell even Barbie and dolls in general would be no games anymore, becuase our beloved fashion doll never had a goal, you can do whatever you want and even recreate a virtual existance and economy if you find enough Barbie fans to share your vision... Phil say what you want, do a backflip and turn green- doesn't change it - SL is nothing more but a better game of dress up dolls (but with model railroading and dungeon crawls with creepy basement trolls of Gor on top, YAY!)

Apparently we have cultural differences on what we call a "game". To me a game is anything played with toys, toys can be a props, a ruleset, or in the case of SL- software.

you Sir, obviously never played Kerball Space Program...

Railroad modeling, legos, Barbies and dolls are NOT games. You play with them. You don't say, "Hey want to play Legos?" You say "Hey want to play WITH my Legos?" D&D is very much a game and was created as such. There is a goal and a whole crap ton of rules. 

I mean, you can play with a rock, does that make rocks a game? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I get what you're saying, but some games have actually done that to me - granted, I'm super emotional and quite easy to be absorbed in storylines. :/

As for the big question - I actually don't care whether or not SL is considered to be a game or not. For some it is, for some it isn't, both are valid in my opinion.

isn't it really just a meeting place in a virtual world?

kind of like IRC with graphics.

7 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Railroad modeling, legos, Barbies and dolls are NOT games. You play with them. You don't say, "Hey want to play Legos?" You say "Hey want to play WITH my Legos?" D&D is very much a game and was created as such. There is a goal and a whole crap ton of rules. 

a rock is a tool used to play a game. you can see how high you can pile them up, you could skim them across the water, you could paint faces on them. those activities could be games but the rock itself is not a game.

you can play games in second life but the platform itself is not a game

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

When I was a kid, my family had so little money that when the other kids had Atari, I had rocks. "Rocks" was my second favorite game, behind "Sticks".

Combine Sticks and Rocks, now you have an exciting weekend.

You better believe Rocks is a game.

18 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

If Second Life isn't a video game, then games like Conan Exiles or Space Engineers or Empyrion or Ark Survival Evolved aren't video games.

I agree. Conan Exiles, Space Engineers, Empyrion and Ark Survival Evolved aren't video games. Just like a big pile of Legos, or wooden blocks aren't games.

Maybe they should be called computer toys instead.

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

isn't it really just a meeting place in a virtual world?

kind of like IRC with graphics.

Personally, I think it depends on what you want it to be and what you DO.
For me, that mostly depends on my mood - sure, somethimes it's a chat with fancy graphics, sometimes it's an outlet for creativity, be that mine or others - and at times, i thread it like a game, with rules I mostly set myself by gamifying parts of it.

Edited by Sukubia Scarmon

37 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

When I was a kid, my family had so little money that when the other kids had Atari, I had rocks. "Rocks" was my second favorite game, behind "Sticks".

Combine Sticks and Rocks, now you have an exciting weekend.

You better believe Rocks is a game.

There's a difference between rocks as tools or toys one the one hand, and the game of Rocks, with rules and objectives as a game on the other. You know that very well, you troll face.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What's the "goal" of Dungeons and Dragons? I remember the last big debate we had on this subject and when I was trying to lure Phil into a trap I asked him about Dungeons and Dragons specifically and he had to go "fnur fnur fnur I don't know enough about it fnur."

Because the problem is that with Dungeons and Dragons the "goal" of any given game is determined by the users (unless they're playing a pre-fabricated scenario which should be grounds for taking away ones' nerd card), and the rules are simply there to facilitate the non-pre-determined goal. Much like Second Life...

Also, railroad modeling, Lego, Barbies and other dolls aren't games in their real-world toy versions, but there have been computer applications to re-create all of them and they're described as and distributed as computer games, because "game" is the term used for almost all computer software that's run as self-contained entertainment.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I agree. Conan Exiles, Space Engineers, Empyrion and Ark Survival Evolved aren't video games. Just like a big pile of Legos, or wooden blocks aren't games.

Maybe they should be called computer toys instead.

Let's ask the developers then...

Conan Exiles: they call it "AN OPEN-WORLD SURVIVAL GAME SET IN THE LANDS OF CONAN THE BARBARIAN" https://www.conanexiles.com/

Space Engineers: "Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction, exploration and survival in space and on planets."  https://www.spaceengineersgame.com/about.html

Empyrion: they do call it "a 3D open world, space survival adventure" (i.e. not a "game" in so many words), but their web address is (wait for it...) http://empyriongame.com/

Ark Survival: "Concurrent player counts put ARK in the top games on Steam every day" http://www.studiowildcard.com/news/

• Like 1

OK, I changed my mind. If, according to Google, 'game' means 'an activity that one engages in for amusement', then SL is a game.

8cbab1cb58d9dd3d98b1affa2483b545.png.6f2e6677978c134d0a8efeb77a5c65bc.png

But then again, I could also read a book or browse the web, both activities I can engage in for amusement. So, by that defenition, James Joyce's Ulysses and Google Chrome are games.

download.jpg.cdcb3c5c9d38cadf87acbc4c6dc9c7e9.jpg

I'll stick to my original standpoint. Those game devs are wrong. Steam is wrong and Google is wrong too.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

What's the "goal" of Dungeons and Dragons? I remember the last big debate we had on this subject and when I was trying to lure Phil into a trap I asked him about Dungeons and Dragons specifically and he had to go "fnur fnur fnur I don't know enough about it fnur."

Because the problem is that with Dungeons and Dragons the "goal" of any given game is determined by the users (unless they're playing a pre-fabricated scenario which should be grounds for taking away ones' nerd card), and the rules are simply there to facilitate the non-pre-determined goal. Much like Second Life...

Also, railroad modeling, Lego, Barbies and other dolls aren't games in their real-world toy versions, but there have been computer applications to re-create all of them and they're described as and distributed as computer games, because "game" is the term used for almost all computer software that's run as self-contained entertainment.

The Goal of any D&D session is determined by the DM not the players. Yes, they can go and do as they wish, but a good DM will get them back on track.

20 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The Goal of any D&D session is determined by the DM not the players. Yes, they can go and do as they wish, but a good DM will get them back on track.

Which is probably why I said it was determined by the users of D & D (including the DM), not the players. (And, most significantly, not the publishers.)

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Used to be, if you call LL support and talk to a human, at some point they refer to it as a "game".  Not sure if they still do.

That almost makes me wanna call them, and as soon as they say game, screech to them "It's NOT a game!"
But I value my life a bit too much for that, heh.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Which is probably why I said it was determined by the users of D & D (including the DM), not the players. (And, most significantly, not the publishers.)

I totally misread that as you meaning the users of a specific session.. my bad.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.