How do I delete an outfit without deleting them items within it?

EspressoDepresso

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The outfits feature is a set of LINKS, not the actual items. That is why you can have the same item in MANY outfits (like your mesh body, eyes etc). Deleting the links doesn't delete the items, only the links. Sure there is something in the knowledge base that explains it more. If you right click on an items you can see an option to SHOW ORIGINAL. If you pick that you can see the REAL item in your inventory. 

image.png.fafa22be544200a9a9c6131c508a49db.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
smaller picture
  • Like 2

I have a lot of Outfits, too.  I will sometimes delete one, but not often, because it's soooo handy to put on a new look with just a mouse click!  I organize my Outfits by creating sub-folders in the Outfits folder.  I have folders there for Casual Dresses, Dressy Dresses, Cocktail Dresses, Formal Wear, Beachwear, Casual Pants Outfits, Steampunk, Costumes, and more.  In many of those folders, I have another layer of sub-folders arranged by season...Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.

EDIT:  Oops.  Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.  It's possible to create a folder in your inventory and stash clothes in it.  You could even put shoes and jewelry in that folder and think of it as an outfit.  If you are into organizing your inventory this way, and then delete that folder, then yeah...you have deleted the actual clothes!  Chic Aeon and I are talking about Outfits, with a capital O.  They are always in the system folder called "Outfits".  You create an Outfit by right clicking your avatar.  Choose Appearance/Edit Outfit, and click Save As at the bottom of the Appearance window.  This creates a new Outfit, composed of links to everything you are wearing.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

EDIT:  Oops.  Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.  It's possible to create a folder in your inventory and stash clothes in it.  You could even put shoes and jewelry in that folder and think of it as an outfit.  If you are into organizing your inventory this way, and then delete that folder, then yeah...you have deleted the actual clothes!  Chic Aeon and I are talking about Outfits, with a capital O.  They are always in the system folder called "Outfits".  You create an Outfit by right clicking your avatar.  Choose Appearance/Edit Outfit, and click Save As at the bottom of the Appearance window.  This creates a new Outfit, composed of links to everything you are wearing.

I assumed (hopefully correctly) that since the OLD way of doing outfits has been gone for oh so many years that the OP was referring to the Outfit FEATURE :D.  Hence, why I said "outfits feature" in the beginning.   Sometimes the new way is better but then again if you wear the same shoes in different colors or whatever you have to redo the color with the hud each time you change to an outfit with those shoes. THAT part I don't like. Since outfits cost against you inventory count I sometimes wonder if it was a great improvement over the old way :D.  

While links count toward your inventory total, I have never been able to determine if they actually affect performance the way that a huge inventory of actual items can.  My belief is that they do not.

The "shoe color" problem is why I include all color-changing and similar HUDs with my Outfits, so they are open on my screen when I put the new Outfit on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

If there was ever an outfit that needed dumping then this is it.

Outdated Maitreya parts and facelights .. ouch! :P

Good eye!  But Outfits that contain outdated parts can be updated fairly easily, if you have the Firestorm viewer.  You can right click the original item and choose Replace Links, and then specify the new item that all your links should point to.  This is super handy when someone sends you an updated mesh body or something else that has links to it in a lot of your Outfits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Good eye!  But Outfits that contain outdated parts can be updated fairly easily, if you have the Firestorm viewer.  You can right click the original item and choose Replace Links, and then specify the new item that all your links should point to.  This is super handy when someone sends you an updated mesh body or something else that has links to it in a lot of your Outfits.

That was my alts, not mine. MINE is super clean and nifty neat and inventory is down to 37,000 from 52,000 after going through my Home and Garden Folders (not my stuff). So I feel very "shiny and clean" these days.   I didn't know what that replace link thing is for. I delete outfits often and I don't think they hurt performance either. I haven't ever had any issues but I don't have tons of links or inventory :D. 

To confuse the issue slightly . . . 

'My Outfits' folders only contain links but those links do count as items in the inventory total. So if you delete an outfit that has 26 links in it, the inventory total will drop by 27 as the folder containing the links is also deleted.  But the originals will still be safe.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I too have the same issue as the OP. Whenever I try to delete an outfit from the outfit gallery (under appearance) or under the outfits tab, it deletes the outfit from the gallery but also sends every item that was saved under that outfit straight to the trash. I just want to know if it's at all possible to delete the folders without deleting the actual items so that I can have things a bit more organized.

Edited by Waisting

21 minutes ago, Waisting said:

I too have the same issue as the OP. Whenever I try to delete an outfit from the outfit gallery (under appearance) or under the outfits tab, it deletes the outfit from the gallery but also sends every item that was saved under that outfit straight to the trash. I just want to know if it's at all possible to delete the folders without deleting the actual items so that I can have things a bit more organized.

It is NOT sending the ITEMS to the trash but the LINKS to the items to the trash. The items are all still in your inventory.  

image.png.711128dab995a8cdd5b9c80e330373bb.png

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 3:14 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I have hundreds of outfits, so the "Replace Links" functionality is invaluable to me.

I recently learned something that may be worth sharing. I finally got a mesh head. That necessitated adding items to all my outfits, in addition to replacing some. The easiest way I could think of to handle that was to make a special outfit folder containing only (links to) the items that needed to be added that I could add to each outfit the first time I wore it. However, anticipating that the same situation may arise in the future, I added five placeholder items to the special outfit, just so they would be available to replace when I need to add something.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 4:14 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

But Outfits that contain outdated parts can be updated fairly easily, if you have the Firestorm viewer.  You can right click the original item and choose Replace Links, and then specify the new item that all your links should point to.  This is super handy when someone sends you an updated mesh body or something else that has links to it in a lot of your Outfits.

Whhaaaaaat? SERIOUSLY?

Lindal, where have you been all my life?

I've further refined my idea about having placeholders in outfits to make it easier when something needs to be added to a large number. I was using prims, because the things I had needed to add were objects, and it just seemed natural. It occurred to me that I could avoid needlessly using up attachment points by using system clothes. Just being cautious, I made some that are transparent to use. I did not use a skirt because, for reasons I don't understand,  wearing a transparent system skirt made the part of my fitmesh clothes it covered invisible. I did not use shoes because I thought they might affect my hover height. I tested, and a replace links works when the replaced link is to system clothing and the replacement link is to an object. If anyone is interested, you'll find the whole set for sale for L$0 at Danim 95,92.

Placeholders).thumb.png.8e78287e5aab9684b8432bc602edab90.png

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

Where I use shoes in many colours, I've started making a copy and just using the right colour for each outfit. Sometimes I just use the hud, but its annoying having to change like that!

With clothes I sometimes start with one colour, then get the FP. Sometimes FP first, then maybe an odd single colour. Again so I don't need to mess with the hud. I just like to click on an outfit and go.........

• Like 1

I’m just frustrated with the inventory and outfits programming. It’s very tough to dress when I have thousands of items and I have no visual reference to them. Has anyone ever created a proper closet? Where we can dress by visually perusing our inventory? I’d love to open shoes and I’d see everything visually laid out in front of me to pick and choose as if I were in a proper store? I wish I could code and get this into the world!

8 hours ago, Saravendi said:

I’m just frustrated with the inventory and outfits programming. It’s very tough to dress when I have thousands of items and I have no visual reference to them. Has anyone ever created a proper closet? Where we can dress by visually perusing our inventory? I’d love to open shoes and I’d see everything visually laid out in front of me to pick and choose as if I were in a proper store? I wish I could code and get this into the world!

There have been attempts to produce scripted devices to do what you describe---let you see a picture of your clothing items when choosing items to wear. I don';t know how well they worked.

One possibility with copyable mesh is is rez copies in your inworld closet, but I don't think that's very practical or would be very helpful.

I do share your frustration. It helps some to use descriptive names for outfits, but I still can't remember which black minidress is which.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, EspressoDepresso said:

Thank you all for the replies! I know I posted this a year ago but I didn't realize this thread got so many responses, I read the first few a while back so it's helped me out for ages ^^

/me scolds you for reviving a "nerco'd thread". SHAME ON YOU!* Hahahaha

*Public Notice: This is a parody response to the original poster of this thread reviving their own necro'd thread in order to highlight the ludicrousness of other people helping to revive necro'd threads by posting a comment that does nothing more than scold the previous commenter and provides zero value to the conversation whatsoever.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

While links count toward your inventory total, I have never been able to determine if they actually affect performance the way that a huge inventory of actual items can.  My belief is that they do not.

I don't think they do, to any significant degree. Inventory performance is affected mostly by having too many items in one level without subfolders, but outfits by their very nature are subdivided into folders. 

I have an outfits for everything I always wear.  body, head, skin, tattoos.  I have one of each of the hairs i often wear.  then i have my outfits without those items.  I wear the body outfit then I add the clothing outfits.  then when I need to change something like an update to my head i just do it in the body outfit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.