"Inventory Lag" Problem

Shirley Semyorka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having a problem that I can only call "inventory lag." For some reason there is a substantial delay between mouse-clicking an item listing and the system acknowledging my input.

I am not talking about the time it takes for a wardrobe item to appear on my avatar, but the time that it takes the item listing in the inventory window to turn bold with the word "(worn)"  next to it. Meanwhile the previous item on the layer or attachment point stays bold. It's like I had not clicked the new item at all.

Sometimes it takes as long as 30 seconds for the system to react to the click, and it's only then that the item begins to rez, or the clothing layer start to apply.

This happens with both clothing layers and attachments. It doesn't matter whether I just double-click the item listing, or right-click and choose "add" or "wear."

I tried doing a clean install of the most recent Firestorm version, but that did not help.

I'm running  Firestorm 5.1.7 (55786) on 64-bit Windows 7,  with a Core I7 4770  CPU, 16 GB of RAM, and an EVGA GTX 960 Ti graphics card. Max bandwidth is set at 1500.  I have about 27,000 items in my inventory, but at least half of that total includes links to actual items.

Any ideas on what is causing this or any way I could fix it?

5 answers to this question

This sounds like a connection problem between you and the inventory servers.  It might be completely on LL's end, the connection between the region server and the inventory server.  It's not a definitive test, but try using your inventory on several different regions.  If the problem is only on one region, use Live Chat or a support case to ask LL for a region restart, or notify the sim owner if it's a private estate.  If the problem is evident on multiple regions, it could still be something on LL's end.  Perhaps it will fix itself in a day or two.

It could also be in the connection between your computer and SL.  Try rebooting your router/gateway modem.  Try rebooting your PC.  If you use wifi, try using an ethernet cable to connect to your local network.  Here are some other things to investigate: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 6:22 PM, Shirley Semyorka said:

Not sure about the first part-- I do most of dressing and undressing at home (sigh...) but I will go to a quiet region and see if the problem persists. Have not tried the official viewer in ages, so I need to download and install a copy. Thanks for the suggestions!

Having the Linden viewer installed gives you a quick way to do the basic troubleshooting. I suggest you leave it installed. You don't have to use it for anything other than troubleshooting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.