The Second Life Mafia

Maximillien Admiral

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, I have been throwing around an idea for quite some time, and wanted more people opinions about it all. Basically, i am completely obsessed with Mafias and organized crime for a long time - and doing so, I created a mafia on The Sims Online back in the day. It was a huge success, and there were many other mafia families around. I was thinking about doing this now on Second Life. I think it could work very well

Lets say someone wants to start a business, they join/come to the Mafia and we give them the money for the tier, basically paying their rent every week. They start it and make it successful, and pay back the family a certain percent. We could use the money they pay back to start another business.

If we get dozens (or hundreds) of people to get in the family, we could one day own one of every type of business, and everyone in the family would go shop at family-owned stores, increasing profit and customers. One fortress, a couple clubs, a few clothings stores, a handful of furniture stores... We could have our hand in every business on SL eventually.

This would not be a RP thing like the vampire clans, we would be a family in second life and a mafia whereever we went, and roll together. Its worked in other MMO's, could it work in second life? Please send your thoughts, thank you. :)

• Like 2

hey Maximillien -

I actually kind of like the idea and it could work.

The key question of course is who is going to be the "Godfather."

If you have someone with deep pockets who is willing to bank roll that kind of operation you may have a lot of success with it.

Good luck!

Lizard

I or my RL brother will take the role Godfather, as we have run these types of things before. But the problem is, to get started we would need people. People who know alot about SL and alliances that would help us get off the ground with our first few businesses. I have only been playing SL a year or two on and off, and yes it would take ALOT of linden to get it running, but im willing to do that.

Some people, like me, seem to really like the idea of mafia and of a family, that sticks together and tries to dominate every business. Ultimetly, its all about making linden, which as we know can be transferred into real cash. So that is another incentive :)

it sounds like a good idea as a roleplay, like those gangsters like Al Capone, but how do you plan to get your money back if your clients refuse to pay? if you attack them they may accuse you with Linden Lab as griefing, unless they agree to roleplay getting hurt like BDSM, also, how are you gonna convince them to pass you their club?

i dont recommend going to revenge in rl if you dont get paid.

Since they would be part of the family, they would understand that all the money earned will go to making the entire family stronger, bigger, and have more businesses. The mafia will pay the tier every week for their business, if they are not making any profit (or just refuse to pay) the family will stop paying the tier on the property and they will lose it. This is the only way I see this to work.

We are not really looking to RP, we know we are real people with real bills in real life, the mafia would just be a fun way to make some extra cash if we get to that point, and have a tight knit group of friends - our "family" in the mafia.

Of course nothing drastic would be taken out in RL, we dont play to go whack anyone. haha.

Dere's no such thing as da Mafia.  An if ya gonna try to encroachs on our territories den I'm gonna have a talkin to ya.  Even more dan dat I'm gonna send somebody ova to ya sim and cause ya some issues.  Yeah issues da Lindens won't know how ta deal wit.   I'll sen soma my pals ova - you ain't gonna like it.  Dey'll ripya prim arms off an beat ya wit them.  Dat's all i gotta say.

• Thanks 1

LOL, you guys crack me up. As for your idea Max (can I call you Max?): Helping others in business would be a very generous thing to do, but where do you draw the line of how much you're willing to give? Some residents may try to take advantage of such offer to get some land to mess around on for a couple of days and then they'll simply vanish and won't really care if they lose the land while you've already paid the tier fees. If you are going to help someone I suggest you be very careful and perhaps get to know them first, both in the real world and in Second Life™.

Also keep in mind that you may help someone which will eventually become successful and generate enough profit on their own to be able to afford their own land. Once that happens they might leave you behind and you'll discover that you've spent more helping them than the small percentage that you got back from their sales.

As a side-note: If you are going to do this I would suggest that you look into profit sharing scripts and vendors to ensure that you automatically get a cut from every single sale that takes place on the land that you "sponsor." - Good Luck! :smileyhappy:

OK OK I'll give ya a break.  I'm gonna do ya a favor by sendin ya some business.  I gonna send Louie ova ta see ya.  Hes got one of dose thing ya calla 'operatin system'; do ya know wat dat is?  Don't worry about nothin, I'll tell ya.

He got  da Brooklyn version of Windas.

Da Brooklyn version may be recognized by da unique openin' screen. It reads: "Windas" wit a background picture of Grand Army Plaza. When you start da program, instead of da usual "harpy, stringy" music, you hear da teme from da Godfadda. It is also shipped wit a Sopranos screen sava.

Please also note:

- Recycle Bin is labeled "Staten Island."

- My Computer is called "My Friggin' Computa."

- The Inbox is referred to as "Da Trunk."

- Deleted Items are referred to as "Wacked," "Erased," or "Rubbed Out."

- Dial up Networking is called "Da Bar."

- Control Panel is known as the "Da Bosses."

- Performin' an "illegal operation" is known as "enhancin' the family business" and will actually maximize da program instead of shuttin' it down.

- Hard Drive is referred to as "Da BQE Rush Hour."

- Instead of an error message a "You ain't gonna friggin' believe dis!" pops up.

CHANGES IN TERMINOLOGY IN DA BROOKLYN EDITION:

OK...................Sure ting

Cancel............Fugetaboutit

Reset.............Start Ova

Yes.................Yeah

No...................Nah

Find................Put a contract out on

Browse..........Get a looksee

Back...............U toin

Help................(Help ain't available - yous don't need no stinkin' help)

Stop................Knock it off

Start...............Move it!

Settings.........Here's d' Rules

Also note dat any voice recognition software run on da Brooklyn Edition platform don't recognize da letter "R."

Some programs and udder accessories dat are exclusive ta Windas:

Typa...................A word processin' program

Printa.................Printer

Calculata...........Calculator

Solitare.............Seven Card Stud

We regret any inconvenience it may have caused if you received a copy of da Brooklyn Edition dat Vinny the tooth was sellin.  If ya got one ya may return it to Microsoft for a replacement version.

OK you set him up now in oneof ya shops there, you do me a favor I do you a favor - capisce?

• Like 1

Well everything is still very new. But here's the idea. The Mafia will run on a heirarchy like system. The godfather or Don will be at the top. The underboss under him, leading and advising the capos, being the face of the family. The Capos will be the ones running and being at the top of the businesses and houses. Each capo can appoint captains to work in the houses, and such. That's the skeleton of the command chain.

theres a story that happened a long time ago in Second Life, it was called GINKO.

what happened here is that you gave your money to Ginko, and Ginko will invest it in lending some money to others to start a business, just like a normal bank does.

the outcome: we dont know for sure, but the owner of Ginko claimed bankruptcy, leaving a lot of residents without their lindens, what i think it happened, is that the owner of Ginko cashed out all the lindens.

what is going to happen in your case, youre gonna have a lot of people wanting to be your employees, you just have to check the ideas, and let the user run his store or club, if the amount of earnings is less of how much you pay for rent, you discontinue the guy and support another idea.

what is going to happen in the end? you end up with a lot of stores and clubs working for you, giving you more money than you invest in paying their rent, and you end up rich doing nothing.

there has been many attempts to make a bank in Second Life, even Wells Fargo tried it and it has always been a failure, the residents end up somehow losing their money or being scammed by "the bank"

can we trust the mafia honesty?

So... What will you do to the people who oppose the family's efforts? =^-^=

One part of market domination is destroying competition.  In the land of eject&ban, you'll find that to be rather difficult. (^_^)

Let's just say you're going to need to be in it for the long haul because not everyone agrees with everyone else's business practices. (^_^)y

Am I the only person who thinks this sounds terribly creepy? The Mafia are not one big "rollin together happenin family",they are gangsters involved in drugs & the tragic cases of human trafficking,and more. To replicate a mafia in SL would be distasteful no matter what "piece" of it you only wanted to "play".

a creepy thing about it, is that the OP dont want to "play" it, he wants to make it real.

he wants to add threats and emotional suffering to residents that dont pay, because real life money would be involved.

another creepy thing is that since i unveiled his plan he hasnt post back, not even to clarify his innocent intentions

No, you seem to be missing the point

As a mafia, we would not just give out money to everyone and everyone who comes along wanting to start something new. To create a business, you need to be in the family. You need to be a made man, have proved yourself by time spent in the mafia, and proving your loyolty. THEN would you come up to the Godfather, and say, "I would like to open a furniture store, because I am great at making furniture. The Godfather pays rent, every week, and provides whatever the made man needs to run his store. So, essentially, the made man pays absolutely nothing, while giving a percent of the profits back to the family to start more stores, and he keeps a percent. If the store is a failure, thats a loss to the Godfather, not the made man, or the capo.

The money/profit earned by the business would mostly go back to the Mafia, which then would be divided in to a percentage system, lets say %40 to the "business starting fund" to start new stores under new capos %10 to the Godfather, 10% to the underboss, (the guy managing the capos who are running the businesses) and %40 to the Capos, who can divide it evenly among their captains that they hire to help run the store.

But it would not ONLY to be about making money. What about the lavish mafia parties, the giant businesses and beautiful properties we will own, the giant amount of people we can have in the family, all under one mafia family name or title. It would be a giant lavish and classy family, people to uphold an image. If we got enough people involved, we could own almost one of every business, pump money into it, and watch it prosper. And it WILL prosper, because everyone in the family will support it. Say you need a new tux and you're in the mafia? Go to the mafia tux store, get a discount AND help the family. Say you need to get new weapons or cars? Theres a mafia store for that. Say you want to go to a diner? Theres a little cafe owned by the mafia down the street.

People not involved in the mafia would see our places as being popular and good, because there are always alot of people there, so that would drive up the traffic to our places by non-mafia members, who will spend money there. It is like a big business, it is easier to have and make a place successful is you have 50 friends who are dedicated to helping it grow, as opposed to being all by yourself. And since everyone in the family gets a monthly cut of all of the profits from every store, every single person is benefitted.

It would fun to consider yourself part of something big. Not to just be a loner, but to be part of a big caring family. Mafia meetings, dinners, events, parties, and everything involved. All around rolling together, being family, and making money. Its an idea that I am very interested in starting, but I need help.

The way we devastate competition? Be better than them.

thank you for clarifiying.

as you seen the comments, some people will support you and some will not, like every business.

some things have happened to the residents, like the Binko thing, so its always good to investigate and become suspicious for safety purposes, specially on financial systems that havent happened before.

i wish you luck, maybe you are going to bring a new tendency in financial systems, if yours is as succesful as expected.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.