GriffinGoddess

Life2 vs beYou HUD

My role play family and I are looking into a HUD to enhance our experience. I understand both are very similar to the Sims where you have to watch your meters. I enjoy the thought of maintenance like real life but was wondering the difference between the two. So for those who used either/both please fill in your experience and possibly answer some questions. 

What's the cost difference of food and such between the two?

How do careers differentiate?

Which meters run down faster and why? (such as moving too much, not moving at all) 

Anything I should know before using, thanks in advance !  

• Like 2

I think the follow up costs is something one should put into considerations.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

I know it isn't one you've asked about, but have you tried XeoLife? It's a free one and you get scripts you can put in food, beds, toys, etc that you already own to use with the system. You can get a certain amount of scripts for free at the mainstore and then can buy extras (or already compatible items) cheaply. It might be a good one to try at first to see if you like having those resources to watch; see if it adds to your RP in a positive way and all. 

I'm not in a family or anything, but still enjoy it.

Thank you so much for introducing me to Xeolife. I have used it for a day now even tested out some of their scripts with my furniture and everything works great and adds a bit of fun with role playing!

• Like 1

I didn't even know that Xeolife was still making things. I may have to check that out. 

I have been an off again on again user of Life2 since 2015. I personally really like the system but, maybe thats because it's all I've ever really known.  

I did dabble in a system called Lifestyles they were pretty cheap in comparison to Life2. The only thing that I found to be weird about that system is that you needed 'batteries' to make your oven script cook... which was off putting to me. Plus you buy all the ingredients click a button and BOOM food appears. With Life2 you purchase the ingredients, click your utensil to cook with and food appears before you and begins cooking in front of you with like emoted roleplayed out sentences of what and how you're cooking / preparing things. So I really liked that touch of added realism. 

I went to the BeYou store a few days ago and discovered that you can not place BeYou scripts into your own items, that you HAVE to purchase furnishing from them and I was like.. Eh! You can purchase scripts for life2 as a fatpack or separately. I will say since they've added fitness if you don't get your fitness level to above a 5.00% then your stats will drop dramatically, which is something I personally dislike that function. They are suppose to be releasing medical, although the HUD and creators have been stating that since 2015 when I joined, and they are suppose to be releasing Livestock.. but they've been saying that since last year. 

I have heard many a great thing about DFS but from what I understand its more so you growing crops and cooking with them, I am unsure if there are any hygiene needs and rest needs that need to be taken care of. 

I hope this helps any bit! Now i'm on my way to check out Xeolife!  

Yeah, definitely check out XeoLife. I don't know the BeYou system, but Life2 is a serious cash-grab. You absolutely must feed yourself (and no, drinking water or eating bread is not possible, you must buy food) - and if you logout still wearing your HUD and forgetting to put it on Pause: you will be *DEAD* (Yes, actually DEAD) by morning (next login) for which you must buy a revival serum nonsense for like 250L for ONE SHOT (if it fails, you have to buy another). Exeprience speaking, here. LOL

XeoLife comes with everything you need in the HUD, comes with water and toast. Everything is free because as the creators make clear: it's about *role play* not a money-grab. And you can even buy the scripts and create your own XeoLife compatible items. It's very easy to do.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yeah, definitely check out XeoLife. I don't know the BeYou system, but Life2 is a serious cash-grab. You absolutely must feed yourself (and no, drinking water or eating bread is not possible, you must buy food) - and if you logout still wearing your HUD and forgetting to put it on Pause: you will be *DEAD* (Yes, actually DEAD) by morning (next login) for which you must buy a revival serum nonsense for like 250L for ONE SHOT (if it fails, you have to buy another). Exeprience speaking, here. LOL

XeoLife comes with everything you need in the HUD, comes with water and toast. Everything is free because as the creators make clear: it's about *role play* not a money-grab. And you can even buy the scripts and create your own XeoLife compatible items. It's very easy to do.

I agree with the money grabbing, as much as they offer jobs where you can earn virtual cash and use it to pay for the products, the prices are WAAAAAAAAAY higher for that cash. But I honestly never had that 'dead logging off' issue. Xeolife is really great and I do hope they start offering more stuff because what got me into trying life2 again was the farming and the fitness system as much as it's absurd with the low increasing rate and high decreasing rate of fitness level.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

But I honestly never had that 'dead logging off' issue.

I should clarify that... (which I apologize to EVERYONE for neglecting to mention, because now I remember clearly):

My SL schedule is from around 4AM to 3PM SL time. But some family really wanted me to be with them, so I thought I'd try it - their schedule was more like 6PM to 9PM - they used the L@ system (this was about the time when the L2 creators BROKE cookware in an updated because they screwed up the scripts and refused to admit it - which was when I decided not no, but hell no to L2 anything)

So, anyway, often I would fall asleep at the computer. "Mom' would carry me to bed and plop me in there (RLV HUD stuff, you get the idea) - by the time I realized what was happening I'd logout and go to bed. A few times while unintentionally camping like that I DIED LOL And yes, it actually tells you that YOU DIED.

SO, I apologize if my earlier description has the impression that the HUD kept working based on RL time - that is incorrect, it only ticks while you're in world and it's not paused (and you're wearing it).

Though, if you don't mind the rip-off is (at that time, maybe costs more now) 250L for a 70% chance it will revive you: try letting your Life 2 HUD go to empty. it really is funny when the title over your head says DEAD.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah just giving my input again, I have a friend who uses BeYou and sees me use Xeolife constantly. He mentions how expensive it can be and would like to switch over to Xeolife. I made it so that all my furniture is scripted to fit the needs and really works out for my RP experience. A five pack is only 50L's to script your furniture. So it's worth it to me. Also you can even script food and it's still reusable. They also have Lucky boards with cute things at their location!  I did try L2 for a bit, liked working and that it had in game currency but had to be there for  a while to earn enough to not have to put any L's in to survive. This is just my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello there, great feedback from the rest of the commenters. I'm Hanley, creator of [Life2], and I would love the opportunity to just clear some questions/concerns others have expressed here. First and foremost, [Life2] is a community driven project. We thrive off of community input, allow affiliates to create items compatible for the system, and steer the system to the best of our abilities where our players wish us to go. We're slow to make changes, which I whole-heartedly admit. We've been working on some big projects for a long time for the system, but due to RL work and various ailments of staff and developers, we've been slow to implement a lot of these to the caliber we'd like to. As far as the mention of us being a "Cash-Grab" goes, I can't really attest to. Other systems are more expensive than us, and some are cheaper, however, by the time you break down what we earn a month vs. what we invest time-wise, we break less than $1.50/hr in many cases. Without the support of paid-players, we would be unable to keep our external servers, SIMs, and pay staff, but I know that some SL players expect everything to be free or no-charge, which is fine.

Additionally, we offer jobs and we allow our community to create jobs for others as well and set their pay scales and payouts as much as they wish. We're always open to rebalancing our Life Token system if it feels unbalanced. Sure, it's not the greatest system vs. spending L$, but there are hundreds of players that are able to survive off of earning LTs and still enjoy the system. It's a free-to-play option, and our HUD can also be obtained for Free too.

I can't speak to the other systems or their capabilities. I think ultimately it's just a pick-your-flavor and which community you enjoy the most. I feel our community within [Life2] is very large and accommodating, but again, not everyone is going to be happy in it and we'd be foolish to assume they would.

As for revival shots only working 70% of the time, @Alyona, this is the first time I've ever heard of that. This is why we have real-time support members on staff and a ticket system that alerts admins if this ever happens, just be sure to file a ticket. I apologize that it happened to you. Also, in regards to cooking--yeah, Demented really messed that up, but thankfully we've corrected it since then and completely reinvigorated that system.

All in all, Griffin, I hope you find a system that you enjoy and can find one that fits your roleplaying needs! Best of luck.

Edited by Hanley Speiser
  • Like 2

Another system to maybe think about is DFS. It's more a farming/cooking simulation than a lifestyle hud. You don't have to worry about your hygiene, bladder, and such but you do have to make sure your cows are happy! DFS Has livestock, fishing, farming, plants, tree's, and crafting! (You can make tables, chairs and decor pieces with things you grew). Also, one great thing that I love, is once you are set up in what you want to grow and make, it's self-sustaining.  That's what I love about it, you don't have to put 100,00L's or more over the span of using the system to do what you want! We even now have two community sims, that you can rent and rp on to enhance your experience, and the community is just amazing! between the staff and other users. the staff has done a great job of keeping the community from going acidic or even clicky!

If you want to see what the system is like, I do make tutorials, feel free to check it out, or shoot me an IM (And no, I don't work for the system, just love it! LOL)

DFS Video's

• Like 1

I've been a fan of XeoLife. I used to use Life and briefly Life2, until the creator/managers disabled products I bought with real world money. I don't know if they still do this, but the ability to be a creator was a recurring license. Creators had to keep paying monthly fees or their items would be turned off, meaning that customers who bought things are the ones getting burned. This is fraud, and I refused to support it. Life was about business and keeping people paying, and while I don't mind that to a certain point, invalidating purchases people made is unacceptable.

When I switched to XeoLife, it wasn't free, but the creator was very supportive. It was possible to use the HUD without really buying anything extra, so now that the HUD is free, it makes the creator side of things more for fun than as a business. As a result, I've used XeoLife at camps and scouting events to make fun reward items, and have been working on materials for light medical roleplay (a bandaid will boost your cheer, but an untreated cut or scrape will also lower your hygiene). I also attended a "cooking" event run by the creator. XeoLife is actually fun, so I'm really happy I switched.

• Like 2

Ok this is a lil old - But I was deep in both Life2 on my teen Kissme and deeeeeep into Beyou on my main Karrett.

Your original questions were what are the differences.

I am going to be as honest as possible 

First lets address some of the Rip off claims. 

I have talked to both hud makers personally - Life2 is very kid friendly- nice and very helpful.  Servers cost money as do sims - I don't think they are trying to rip people off, they also have staff they have to pay.  I think that the claim is a bit unfair and the people may be mad because they did not pay attention and died (as do sims or geopets that you do not feed/etc.  Its the main reason for the Hud rp - if you do not eat/take care of yourself you die.  Beyou is more geared (in my opinion) for adults

Life2 vs beyou

*What's the cost difference of food and such between the two?

• Life2 has lucky chairs for the revival shots many food items and the affiliates/users stalls have a lot of food for free and or very very cheap around the sim.  Fariepod offers soap etc for 5L there is cake for 1L.  So its very possible to play Life two for very very little money, but you would need to grind and explore to get your things. Cooking sets and items are not cheap however they have tons of flash sales where even the gift cards are 30% to half off.  The most expensive of the items will probably be your farming and cooking supplies - or the very expensive but copiable take home scripts - Issues are after you buy it all and make it all there is nothing else... you sustain your life and rp but they are VERY slow to implement anything new.  Still love them but slooooooooooooowww with inovation.  10% group discount on purchases in store.
  • BeYou- Very very expensive.  Everything cost and items expire.  Its a lil worth it if your bored and want a system with many many many things to do.  Very expensive but if you sale vegetables and crafted items it is sustainable.  10% group credit on all buys.
  • DFS - I dont know as much about this one but its worth mentioning - DFS is the premier farming and animal husbandry system.  Its expensive because there is so much to do and again servers and sims cost - the more stuff they give us to do the more the servers .... but there are TONSSSS of farming to do and animals to work with.

*How do careers differentiate? 

• Life2 careers are not typical careers where you do things, you sit (camp) and earn credit.  It is possible to camp and earn enough credit to buy things.... it would take a very long time to do that but they also give LT credit on their many many many hunts.  They were supposed to be working on Medical & fishing - that was over a year ago.
  • Beyou careers are actual careers - Farmers farm for a living/ Cooks cook better meals/ Lawyers process certificates that marry, adopt, divorce/ Doctors give birth certificates and soon they will have medicinal marijuana as well as elixirs for the many illnesses that will be implemented.  Its pricey but very fun.

Which meters run down faster and why? (such as moving too much, not moving at all) 

• Life2 is a constant grind.  if your wellness drops too much you have a greater chance of dying.  The revive shots (i have tons just from the lucky chair for free) will be needed if you die. You will see that all your stats are draining rapidly much closer to the sims.
  • Beyou the stats dont drop very fast - and if any go lower than 20% you will not earn LEP(Level Experience Points) but it takes a long time for that unless you are farming or doing something like exercising.

Beyou is constantly adding new things - I like the people and since its the new it thing there are plenty of people that are playing to sustain the community due to the innovation constantly happening.  Some of the CSR's can be a little rude at times but in all I do really like the game play. 

Life2 was my go to for years but I got a little tired of doing the same thing over and over.  I still go over there though because the founders and the team there are really so nice it will always feel like home to me.  They have a real community feel.  If they implemented the fishing and threw in a cooking revamp with new recipes as well as new plants, I would definitely start back up full time on that side also.

If you do not need or want the community and just want the interaction for your family and XeoLife works for you then stick with it.  Its all about whats best for you and your family. 

The big difference actually between the huds are the game plays.

Life2 relies on a rez and click me system for the food or a hold me and use my uses system... don't worry it takes a while to use uses and even them the uses refills are like 49L if I am remembering right... there is so much out there for free I don't think I ever used one. To me.. Life2 has better farming but they lack the produce - they only have like 13 you can grow and it takes a long time to even be able to get to the different stages to be able to grow the new veggies.

Beyou is pricey because you cant buy separate pieces - you want a bathroom - you have to buy a portapoti (buildable) or you have to buy the whole pricey bathroom.  You want to cook you need the expensive kitchen-but with it you get one of the best cooking systems I have seen in sl. Beyou is a rez your cooked items then sit at the bar(kitchen) or table (purchase) or placemat(purchase) click the food then the plate grab your fork and really eat.. click your sides to eat the plate how you want it.. its kind of genius.  You role play while your actually animated to eat and the food disappears in stages like really eating.  There are tons of recipes and tons of veggies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:56 AM, Karrett Barbosa said:

Ok this is a lil old - But I was deep in both Life2 on my teen Kissme and deeeeeep into Beyou on my main Karrett.

Your original questions were what are the differences.

I am going to be as honest as possible 

First lets address some of the Rip off claims. 

I have talked to both hud makers personally - Life2 is very kid friendly- nice and very helpful.  Servers cost money as do sims - I don't think they are trying to rip people off, they also have staff they have to pay.  I think that the claim is a bit unfair and the people may be mad because they did not pay attention and died (as do sims or geopets that you do not feed/etc.  Its the main reason for the Hud rp - if you do not eat/take care of yourself you die.  Beyou is more geared (in my opinion) for adults

Life2 vs beyou

*What's the cost difference of food and such between the two?

• Life2 has lucky chairs for the revival shots many food items and the affiliates/users stalls have a lot of food for free and or very very cheap around the sim.  Fariepod offers soap etc for 5L there is cake for 1L.  So its very possible to play Life two for very very little money, but you would need to grind and explore to get your things. Cooking sets and items are not cheap however they have tons of flash sales where even the gift cards are 30% to half off.  The most expensive of the items will probably be your farming and cooking supplies - or the very expensive but copiable take home scripts - Issues are after you buy it all and make it all there is nothing else... you sustain your life and rp but they are VERY slow to implement anything new.  Still love them but slooooooooooooowww with inovation.  10% group discount on purchases in store.
  • BeYou- Very very expensive.  Everything cost and items expire.  Its a lil worth it if your bored and want a system with many many many things to do.  Very expensive but if you sale vegetables and crafted items it is sustainable.  10% group credit on all buys.
  • DFS - I dont know as much about this one but its worth mentioning - DFS is the premier farming and animal husbandry system.  Its expensive because there is so much to do and again servers and sims cost - the more stuff they give us to do the more the servers .... but there are TONSSSS of farming to do and animals to work with.

*How do careers differentiate? 

• Life2 careers are not typical careers where you do things, you sit (camp) and earn credit.  It is possible to camp and earn enough credit to buy things.... it would take a very long time to do that but they also give LT credit on their many many many hunts.  They were supposed to be working on Medical & fishing - that was over a year ago.
  • Beyou careers are actual careers - Farmers farm for a living/ Cooks cook better meals/ Lawyers process certificates that marry, adopt, divorce/ Doctors give birth certificates and soon they will have medicinal marijuana as well as elixirs for the many illnesses that will be implemented.  Its pricey but very fun.

• Life2 is a constant grind.  if your wellness drops too much you have a greater chance of dying.  The revive shots (i have tons just from the lucky chair for free) will be needed if you die. You will see that all your stats are draining rapidly much closer to the sims.
  • Beyou the stats dont drop very fast - and if any go lower than 20% you will not earn LEP(Level Experience Points) but it takes a long time for that unless you are farming or doing something like exercising.

Beyou is constantly adding new things - I like the people and since its the new it thing there are plenty of people that are playing to sustain the community due to the innovation constantly happening.  Some of the CSR's can be a little rude at times but in all I do really like the game play. 

Life2 was my go to for years but I got a little tired of doing the same thing over and over.  I still go over there though because the founders and the team there are really so nice it will always feel like home to me.  They have a real community feel.  If they implemented the fishing and threw in a cooking revamp with new recipes as well as new plants, I would definitely start back up full time on that side also.

If you do not need or want the community and just want the interaction for your family and XeoLife works for you then stick with it.  Its all about whats best for you and your family. 

The big difference actually between the huds are the game plays.

Life2 relies on a rez and click me system for the food or a hold me and use my uses system... don't worry it takes a while to use uses and even them the uses refills are like 49L if I am remembering right... there is so much out there for free I don't think I ever used one. To me.. Life2 has better farming but they lack the produce - they only have like 13 you can grow and it takes a long time to even be able to get to the different stages to be able to grow the new veggies.

Beyou is pricey because you cant buy separate pieces - you want a bathroom - you have to buy a portapoti (buildable) or you have to buy the whole pricey bathroom.  You want to cook you need the expensive kitchen-but with it you get one of the best cooking systems I have seen in sl. Beyou is a rez your cooked items then sit at the bar(kitchen) or table (purchase) or placemat(purchase) click the food then the plate grab your fork and really eat.. click your sides to eat the plate how you want it.. its kind of genius.  You role play while your actually animated to eat and the food disappears in stages like really eating.  There are tons of recipes and tons of veggies.

This is a really good comparison. I decided to try beyou myself and yes, it's way too expensive. I get it that thye have a very complete system compared do Life2 that still lacks the medical part and it's generally weak when it comes to features. BUT beyou can be overwhelming to learn, too much to get and yep, things are pricey. 

I'm still giving beyou a go but I'll probably end up sticking with life2 and completely changing my mind about it being pricey, it's definitely not. I just wish the updates came faster, I know that everyone has a rl job and life that is important, but I feel like they could open for new developers to help making everything quicker.

• Like 2

I have been considering joining one of these life RP systems and this thread has been pretty informative. I'm going to try Xeolife and see how I like it.

• Like 2

Me personally I have only used Life2 (out of the two you posted questions with). 

Life2 started as a great system. There was always updates, fixes, and such. Unfortunately, as time has gone it has gone downhill, in my opinion. Now that being said. Life2 has a good cooking system in place, perfect for rping family dinners and such. They offer for you to still use your own furniture but make them Life2 compatible. And all the other great things people have said. 

I have moved on from Life2, and am now doing DFS, which I quoted Red from. 

On 8/6/2018 at 1:19 PM, RedWrath said:

I have heard many a great thing about DFS but from what I understand its more so you growing crops and cooking with them, I am unsure if there are any hygiene needs and rest needs that need to be taken care of. 

***Yes, DFS is a cooking/farming simulation, there is no hygiene, bladder stats and the like. The only stat you have to watch is your EP (Energy Points). 

Me personally, I have found that its not very expensive compared to Life2 and Beyou. I am not sure about Beyou farming, but with DFS i like the fact its self reciprocating. Also with just a few fields, animals, and cooking utensils, very self sufficient. There is also a huge market for secondary items (selling items you make within the system or raw goods) so there is reciprocation in there for if/when you want to expand. (Sorry, i tend to get wordy, I really enjoy the system lol). There is also quite a few DFS farmers that are active in DFS but use the Beyou hud for the extra bit of rp realism. 

Not sure if any of that helps, but that is my two cents. lol 

• Like 1

It sucks that they are still trying to claim it was a DDoS attack.

As for the systems, I've played Life2 and DFS. So far, I've found DFS to be far superior in what it has to offer. You can basically go as big or small as you choose, and if you play things right, it can be more or less self sustaining.

Shannon,

It was a DDoS attack. I assure you I wouldn’t throw away something I’ve been passionate about for over 9 years of my life which has brought me a tremendous amount of joy, friendships, and been a large part of 15,000+ people’s second life. Many of whom chose to spend their final days of their real lives with us. Please don’t try to assume that it was anything other that a DDoS. We were attacked and we were wiped clean. Your words on the matter simply reopen a wound I am trying to heal from. 

Thank you. 

• Sad 2