Need Ideas on How to Delete Items That Replicate

SierraStyles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have two or three clothing items that have multiplied and take up too much space in my inventory. I need a fairly simple solution, I am not a computer whiz or IT person. They multiply when I try to delete. Other items I can  delete just fine. Please help! Thank You..

6 answers to this question

I have two or three clothing items that have multiplied and take up too much space in my inventory. I need a fairly simple solution, I am not a computer whiz or IT person. They multiply when I try to delete. Other items I can  delete just fine. Please help! Thank You..

This sounds to me like some sort of problem with either the inventory servers or your inventory cache.  Test the latter possibility first.

1. Use another viewer.  Are the extra copies present in your inventory?
  2. Clear the inventory cache (do this with both your current viewer and the test viewer, if the extra copies appear in both places.)
  3. If the above does not solve the problem, file a support case with LL.  You will need to be a Premium member to get this level of tech support.  If you are not Premium, it may be worth paying for a one month Premium membership.

I can imagine making clothing items multiply in inventory, but you'd have to work at it.  For example, suppose you have a mesh skirt in inventory and you rez it on the ground and then right click and attach the skirt.  Then, later, you detach the skirt.  If you do that, the skirt will go back into your inventory and you will have two copies -- the original plus the one you were just wearing.  If that's what you have been doing, stop it.  To wear an item from inventory, right click on it and select Add.  

Any object in your inventory is really nothing more than a label, like a line in a table of contents or an index, pointing to digitized instructions on how the item is made.  When you rez the object, you are creating a new instance of it.  It's essentially like asking a seamstress to make a new, unique copy of the skirt each time you want to wear it. If you modify that instance and save it back to inventory, you then have two sets of instructions -- the original plus the new one you just saved.  Adding or wearing an object, though, is a special case.  When you choose one of those two options and then detach the item, the new instance replaces the original in inventory.  If you have made any changes (color, size, whatever), those changes are made in the digitized instructions, so they are preserved for the next time you wear the item.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.