What should I do?

Sabine Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have recently had an issue with another member. This person did not like the fact that I rejected his romantic advances and released a torrent of abuse in chat. Basically bashing me for being a lesbian, threats and other abusive language. I, of course, blocked him. He proceeded to contact me with alts and continued harassing me. I blocked the alts I know about however, he seems to have many. I enabled "only friends and groups can IM me", however this inhibits my ability to enjoy SL because people I might otherwise welcome IMs from are not able to contact me. I have also reported him and each of the alts to support. Any suggestions for what else I might do? 

4 answers to this question

When you make your Abuse Reports, be sure to identify specific dates and places where you believe that a TOS violation occurred, and make specific reference to the Community Standards sections  on harassment, intolerance, and invasion of personal space, as appropriate.  A well-documented report, free from speculation and unsubstantiated claims, can go a long way.

Other than that, all I can recommend is mute and ignore.  I know it's not easy, but people like that do gradually get tired of pestering victims who don't even acknowledge their presence.  Don't allow him space in your head.  He can't upset you unless you let him.  

• Like 2

Everything @Rolig Loon says, plus you can also try this: Turn on "Do Not Disturb" - that way you can set an auto-response message. Then when IMs come in you can quickly see if it's the scofflaw or someone you actually want to speak with. Just close the scofflaw's tab before bothering to read any of it.

If the ding-ding bothers you, you can temporarily turn those off in your settings (notifications area) - I know Firestorm and Catznip has this setting and I *think* the Offical LL viewer does also.

I know the problem is that you don't know if it's an alt or not until you've read what is said - well, just close the tab without replying; don't type *anything*. This way that person will see your "busy" message and if they never see a response from you then they will bore of nagging you more quickly and possibly even figure you've found a way to spot them and give up sooner.

Just ideas here. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

Thank you to both Rolig and Alyona for your helpful advice. I had not thought of turning on Do Not Disturb. Still bothers me that I will see the messages but I guess it can't be helped. Also, I checked one of the alts that I reported and it says "this username not available". Do I dare to hope that at least one of the alts has been closed? I can only hope his main account, which was the one with the hateful speech is next. 

4 hours ago, SoffiJourgensen said:

Thank you to both Rolig and Alyona for your helpful advice. I had not thought of turning on Do Not Disturb. Still bothers me that I will see the messages but I guess it can't be helped. Also, I checked one of the alts that I reported and it says "this username not available". Do I dare to hope that at least one of the alts has been closed? I can only hope his main account, which was the one with the hateful speech is next. 

The Lab repeatedly claims they read EVERY Abuse Report. Lindens I know and trust attest to this also.

If your reports are factual, have a precise time, and list a ToS violation... they are pretty certain to draw action. You won't hear what was done, but something was considered.

The totally ignoring them is about the worst thing you can do to them. It may take a while, but even the most persistent annoyance eventually gives up. Plus, it is the one course that is ToS legal. Almost everything else you might want to do could land you in trouble.

I can close chats faster than they can open them. I can also block avatars faster than they can create new ones. Just hang in there.

I also tend to hit back. If a particularly annoying insult gets through I may save it until I cool off. Then I'll come up with a comeback that I believe will be especially stinging to them. This prepares me for those iRL situations where many are left in a 'wish I had said' senacio. I get particular satisfaction from knowing I used them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.