Estate Owners give away parcels, It's time for LL to do the same

Phorumities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

I'm not talking stores, marketplace destroyed the need for inworld stores anyway.

I'm talking about people that want a little slice of mainland to build a home.

THAT is who my plan is aimed at.

They will NOT spend $10,000 L for a parcel that might be blighted next week, but they will spend $1 L for a parcel they can abandon if the neighbor from hell moves in next door.

But don't worry, I'm not planning on moving any time soon.

*grins*

You're not, but people buying land are. We had that exact person on the forums a few months ago - they swept in talking about their wonderful business plans, then 1) built a landlocked "yacht club" with crappy "apartments" and a "club" which failed, and then 2) a "high end fashion" store full of affiliates which also failed, leaving them with 3) a 512 sitting in the middle of Jeogeot playing an Infowars stream, because that was ultimately all their "plans" could provide money for.

Linden Lab and a private land company have completely different financial needs. A business owning private islands has a fixed monthly cost they need to recover for each island each month, but expenses for gaining or losing "owners" are almost nonexistent because the transactions are Linden-based.

Linden Lab's maintenance for any given Mainland region is comparatively low and folded into their expenses for all the other regions, but expenses for adding or losing "owners" are comparatively high because they need to deal with credit card companies/real world financial transactions. It would be better for them to just sit on empty land than to let it be bought and abandoned over and over again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You're not, but people buying land are. We had that exact person on the forums a few months ago - they swept in talking about their wonderful business plans, then 1) built a landlocked "yacht club" with crappy "apartments" and a "club" which failed, and then 2) a "high end fashion" store full of affiliates which also failed, leaving them with 3) a 512 sitting in the middle of Jeogeot playing an Infowars stream, because that was ultimately all their "plans" could provide money for.

Linden Lab and a private land company have completely different financial needs. A business owning private islands has a fixed monthly cost they need to recover for each island each month, but expenses for gaining or losing "owners" are almost nonexistent because the transactions are Linden-based.

Linden Lab's maintenance for any given Mainland region is comparatively low and folded into their expenses for all the other regions, but expenses for adding or losing "owners" are comparatively high because they need to deal with credit card companies/real world financial transactions. It would be better for them to just sit on empty land than to let it be bought and abandoned over and over again.

In your opinion of course. All income is good, all income adds to the profitability.

Mainland is bought and abandoned over and over. Why is there so much abandoned land? Because it's so hard to buy it, thats why

If you buy it for one minute and change your mind  you still owe one monts tier, that is additional revenue in LL's pocket.

Estate lands are shrinking all the time anyway, simply because there are less and less people logging into second life.

Let's give all premium members that chance to choose to live on mainland without the stranglehold flippers have on the market.

Direct sales to anyone asking  for a parcel  for the price of $1 L is a good start, and I'm sure many many people are taking advantage of this, but now let's go all the way and put land purchases on an even footing between mainland and estates, and let the people decide where they want to live. 

Let's open the flood gates of pent up demand and let everyone really choose where they want to live... estate or mainland

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

If premium members are renting on estates, they are losing one benefit of that membership, and would be less likely to renew. More people using all their benefits would encourage them to maintain their premium status.

I'm sure lots of premium accounts would jump on mainland if my plan was in place.

And in what deluded un-economic fantasy world would LL seriously want to relocate Entitlement Club members from the Estates to the Madlands?

An Entitlement Club member living on an estate is paying a share of that $250 a month maintenance fee, or if its grandfathered, a share of a $195 a month fee, per per whole sim, pro rata on their parcel size. 

Assuming your retarded plan actually worked, all that would happen is the Entitlement Club members would stop paying $250/$195 a month per sim, and move to the Madlands and pay $175 a month. The estate sims, empty, would close, and LL would MAKE LESS MONEY.

Your plan will never happen because it is in nobody's interests to implement it, certainly not in the interests of the people with the power to do so.

There is MORE Madlands than anyone actually wants, destroying landflippers = bad for LL, destroying the estates = bad for LL, your plan was dead in the water before your first attempt to demand this nonsense.

10 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

And in what deluded un-economic fantasy world would LL seriously want to relocate Entitlement Club members from the Estates to the Madlands?

An Entitlement Club member living on an estate is paying a share of that $250 a month maintenance fee, or if its grandfathered, a share of a $195 a month fee, per per whole sim, pro rata on their parcel size. 

Assuming your retarded plan actually worked, all that would happen is the Entitlement Club members would stop paying $250/$195 a month per sim, and move to the Madlands and pay $175 a month. The estate sims, empty, would close, and LL would MAKE LESS MONEY.

Your plan will never happen because it is in nobody's interests to implement it, certainly not in the interests of the people with the power to do so.

There is MORE Madlands than anyone actually wants, destroying landflippers = bad for LL, destroying the estates = bad for LL, your plan was dead in the water before your first attempt to demand this nonsense.

Ummm when did i demand? This was simply a good faith suggestion of a plan to allow people that wanted mainland to more easily acquire it.

I'm sure LL if considered such a plan they might well decide the negatives outweigh the positives.

No one is forcing anyone to relocate. People move between mainland and estates all the time. I have land on both.

And not everyone would move to mainland. There's many many people like yourself that absolutely hate the mainlands.

Reading your post, and using your logic, I guess it would make the most sense economically for LL to shut down ALL of mainland and force everyone to live on estates.

Of course eliminating mainland destroys Second Life as a world, and I'm sure that then, the exodus from Second Life would become a flood.

LL can sell its mainland for any price it wants, $100 L per sqm $1 L per sq m, or $0.001 L per square meter.

I notice that many many people in the forums recoil in horror when anyone suggests any kind of change.

Edited by Phorumities
added a few lines

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

Then why did the amount of abandoned land increase when it was made easier to buy in 2011 and 2012?

I am not really aware of the history of mainland sales, so I can't comment on that.

But whatever they did, they didn't make it as easy as I propose. 

Sometimes half measures have the same effect as doing nothing at all

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

So why are you commenting at all on a subject you don't know much about?

I was simply offering what I think is a way to increase mainland sales, along with reasons why i think mainland sales would increase under my plan.

What we have now obviously isn't working, and not changing it will not increase mainland ownership.

I doubt hoards of estate residents will suddenly be overcome with a desire to pay flipper prices, but if you think that is best so be it.

We can just agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

I was simply offering what I think is a way to increase mainland sales, along with reasons why i think mainland sales would increase under my plan.

Given your previous experience you should know better - what exactly has become of all the "brilliant" plans others have presented in here? ...

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.