Tail Script to say display name instead of username

Sascha Steampunk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am trying to update some of my old tail scripts. They are the kind that when you click on the tail it gives you a menu with options like hug, pet, brush, and so on. I had gotten a full perm tail script about 10 years ago and have heavily modified it for my personal use in my tails. What I am having trouble with is getting it to say the display name (the name you can change every 7 days) of both the wearer and the person clicking the options on the tail instead of saying the legacy name (the name you use to login).

**EDIT**

This is pretty much where im having a hard time. I only copy and pasted a portion of the script since I am sure no one needs or wants to see what all options I have for the script lol. I am also pretty sure that this is the portion that needs to be fixed in order for it to save and work properly so if someone can maybe show/tell me what and how this portion needs to be changed that would be great.

string owner;
integer lock = FALSE;
integer listn;
integer rand;
integer chan;
string toucher;
integer listener;
key dk;

{
    attach(key n)
    {
        llResetScript();
    }

on_rez(integer n)
    {
        llResetScript();
    }
    state_entry()
    {

chan = 100 + (integer)llFrand(20000);
        owner = (llGetDisplayName(<key id>));

}

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        listener=llListen(chan,"","","");
        llOwnerSay("Your tail is being touched by " + llDetectedName(0));
        toucher = llDetectedName(0);

Edited by Sascha Steampunk

Script Testing Box: Your tail is being touched by Rythm A Hart

Script Testing Box: Your tail is being touched by Lyric A Hart 

Script Testing Box:  AzorieSoloWolf Resident yanks Sascha Steampunk's tail causing Sascha Steampunk to look back at AzorieSoloWolf Resident with an annoyed look

My display name is Rythm A Hart and AzorieSoloWolf's display name is Lyric A Hart. The last part of what the script testing box posted is the part of the script that isn't working like I need it to. It is still saying the legacy names instead of the usernames. I would just post the entire script in here but it is a naughty tail script so I don't think it's a good idea to post the entire script on the forums lol. If someone is willing to TP to me in world I can show the entire script there though so corrections can be made.

You already have two global variable, named owner and toucher.  Your script defines owner = llGetDisplayName (key id); which I recommend changing to owner = llGetDisplayName(llGetOwner());    Later, you have toucher = llDetectedName(0); , which I recommend changing to toucher = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0);    Once you have done this, you have your two names saved in the script as display names.   Wherever they appear in the rest of your script, those definitions will apply, as in  llOwnerSay("Your tail is being touched by " + toucher);   You just need to be sure that your definitions of owner and toucher are before the first time they are used.  So, for example, reverse the order of the two lines in 

llOwnerSay("Your tail is being touched by " + llDetectedName(0));
     toucher = llDetectedName(0);

to make them

toucher = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0));
     llOwnerSay("Your tail is being touched by " + toucher);

instead.

I strongly recommend to use the Viewer URI Namespace whenever possible, example:

• secondlife:///app/agent/UUID/about
  • secondlife:///app/agent/UUID/displayname
  • secondlife:///app/agent/UUID/username

It should work for llDialog (but not the buttons), llSay, llWhisper, llShout, llOwnerSay

Won't work for prim names and llSetText tho.

The main advantage is that you work strictly with UUIDs and let the user's viewer deal with converting it into the current display name. And as a bonus i think it will also respect their settings if they only want to see usernames instead.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

7 hours ago, Sascha Steampunk said:

Just tried that now and went to save it and now it says there is a syntax error for this ----> llDialog(dk,"Change Tail option,",["lock","unlock"],chan);

Without seeing the line in context, it's hard to tell, but the most common reason for getting that error is that you omitted the semicolon at the end of the previous line.

a quick example to test with?

integer lock = FALSE;
integer chan;
key owner_key;
key toucher_key;
string owner;
string toucher;
integer listener;
integer offset = 100;

{
    attach(key n)
    {  llResetScript();
    }    
    on_rez(integer n)
    {  llResetScript();
    }
    state_entry()
    {  chan = 0x80000000 | (integer)("0x"+(string)llGetOwner());  
       chan += offset ;
       chan = -chan;
       owner_key = llGetOwner();
       owner = llGetDisplayName( owner_key );  
    }
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {  listener = llListen(chan,"","","");
       toucher_key =  llDetectedKey(0);
       toucher = llGetDisplayName( toucher_key );                
       llOwnerSay("Your tail is being touched by " + toucher );
       if( toucher == owner)
       { llDialog( owner_key,"Change Tail option",["lock","unlock"],chan);         
       }
       else
       {  llDialog( toucher_key,"Choose an action",["pull","yank"],chan); 
       }      
    }
    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)
    {   llListenRemove(listener);
        if( message == "lock")
        {   llOwnerSay(" Locking Tail..." ); // do lock stuff
        }
        if( message == "pull")
        {  llSay(0,"\n" + toucher + " yanks " + owner + "'s tail causing " + owner + " to look back at " + toucher + " with an annoyed look." );
        }
        // etc etc
    }
}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.