Automatic Bus Script for roleplay Community

dymond Southmoor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Use llSetKeyframedMotion to establish movement between waypoints as well as the wait time between them.  If necessary, divide the route into separate segments that are each triggered in a timer event that can be delayed if a user at the bus stop clicks on your vehicle.

newbabbagetram.thumb.jpg.42ed53a3baa48f9224739560cc1ddecd.jpg

New Babbage tram

New Babbage's trams are some of the best automatic local vehicles in SL. They look good, they turn corners nicely, they cross region boundaries without much trouble, and they work reliably. They don't need an external server, unlike Yava pods.

There's a bus system used in a few cities, but the movement and turns look bad. They don't move like buses.

Janet's Viking sim has very good automatic vehicles, and I think she takes commissions.

• Like 1

We're using trams at Arkham (rebuilding currently in progress), and they can stop, start, and even "teleport" through tunnels and pop out somewhere else. The SLRR (Second Life Rail Road) group inworld might be helpful, and you really don't need tracks or to use an actual tram or anything... You could use a tram engine setup for a bus without it resembling a train or tram in any way aside from function.

Guide boxes on the road surface sort of "pull" it along in the path you've laid out, and when the boxes are all in place, you just make them transparent so they don't show.

I think it's an awesome way of doing it; people can get on or off the vehicle, it loops about, you have the option of letting people operate it, but it can be left to go on its own, and you can easily set the pathway for it to follow.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure we're using the same or similar to the ones in New Babbage; some of their longtimers have quite a bit of history around our lands...

Edited by PheebyKatz

On 7/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, PheebyKatz said:

and even "teleport" through tunnels and pop out somewhere else.

Nice. Is that done with an experience token, or is it just a local move?

I'd wanted to have a train which did that for long-distance travel. The destination woudl have an identical train and the avatars would be teleported and sat in corresponding seats. With experience tokens, it's possible. Did someone implement that?

(We need to have an option to do teleports without the "woosh".)

Edited by animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.