Rhia Janick

Changes to Firestorm

Question

Hi all, 

I recently had a firestorm issue and decided to change reset my settings. I would usually always limit my MaxFPS because I felt it worked a little better on my laptop. However, when I went to go reset it its no longer found as a setting to change under debug settings. Is there anything else I can do to either limit the framerate lower than 15 or just have it run a little lighter on my MAC laptop? It took me a really long time to figure out settings that worked so I'm saddened things are no longer set like they used to. Thanks

Rhia

5 answers to this question

That's not a special feature of Firestorm.  The MaxFPS debug setting was a standard setting available to any SL viewer, and is no longer available.  If you are searching for ways to keep your laptop from being overworked, I'd suggest reducing your draw distance, your avatar complexity limit, and the maximum number of non-imposter avatars.  Those three variables will give you the greatest control over how hard your graphics card has to work in SL.  Other options, like reducing the limit of particles you can see at once, can also help, but those three are the big ones.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Do you mean the one now found in your graphics settings?

That one only goes to 15, but the MaxFPS setting in debug settings is the one I was talking about since that seemed to go lower than 15.

Just as a followup, the Firestorm change log has this entry, which was effective with their viewer 4.7.5 (47975):

changeset: 47857:ccfb75ea937f
date: 2015-09-30 10:47 +0200
user: Ansariel
summary: Backed out changeset 6b61b2d8fe4c (Mark MaxFPS as an unused setting) because it's simple not true

That change was made to align with Linden Lab, which removed the debug setting at that time.

Edited by Rolig Loon

The debug setting for Max FPS has changed a few times.
What is the exact version of Firestorm that you are using?
You can find this in the top menu bar of the viewer, Help -> About Firestorm.
Paste the first line here.