I find this amazing

Coventina Dalgleish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We have a store next to Marines main facility and get to observe many visitors some with low impact  and a few that I have to up the  viewer to max to see just what they are wearing. This 3 year old avatar seems to have to have taken the record in poorly created mesh. I did blank her name   and group for privacy. I have no idea how someone creates mesh with this load. She was wearing rubber , but really not all that much for the level of impact. While amusing  I am sure she has no idea she is a red clay figure to most. I can not create mesh that has this load and I am not all that great haha. Mt biz partner Kwak can take something I create and reduce it by a factor of 10 though. I once asked how can you do this ? her answer 25 years creating 3D and  3D max studio. BTW she is an architect and considers SL as a learning tool. I do enjoy seeing others and the outfits they wear as it is part of fun in this environment. But, when I have to crank the visibility above 350k just to see you most will not and you wander this place as a red clay puppet...5b524601c0e1a_1million.PNG.79d199868ae165e334f49b2e64eb2175.PNG

Jewelry, old hair and dresses with 10000 flexi attachments can do that easily. I have a dress that has flexi prims that shoot my complexity up to 850k. A few pieces of jewelry could shoot it up to a million.

Some people do use second life with their complexity set to “no limit”. Someone can see her, it’s probably not many though. I would’ve set mine to “no limit” to see it. It’s probably the three I mentioned.

I keep my draw weight cap around 80k to 120k max. I've also been using a Firestorm test viewer that lets me cap avatar VRAM use, which I keep at about 130MB. My computer is over 8 years old and I can still run Second Life on it with all of the fancy graphics features turned on and maintain a consistent 30fps (I can actually get much higher, with FPS typically bouncing between 30-60fps, but setting a max FPS your computer can achieve consistently makes SL feel smoother). There is no avatar on the grid that is worth sacrificing that kind of performance for.

If LL had given avatars a hard cap on complexity and VRAM use, rather than a "jelly doll" feature people can just disable, you'd see content creators becoming a lot more mindful of optimization, and we'd all be enjoying better graphics and higher framerates.

3 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

If she is wearing any of Marines gear .. that will do it.

Nah, Marine's gear is way too complex for what it is, that's true, but don't exaggerate. Unless that girl put a few overlapping sets on for no reason and even that would be below 1m probably, as there's still attachment limit of 38 and things like mesh body/hands/feet/eyes/hair/etc take a good portion of it.

My bet is on piercing or/and some flexi silk-like clothes. I have a few mesh piercing sets (some are literally just two rings) with ~150-200k complexity for each one. I'm not using them anymore, but keeping to see what that number would be when LL changes complexity formula.

In every case I've seen so far its been old hair, old jewlery and old dresses that cause this. But the people wearing it are blissfully unaware, as they are often assuming they are the "eco-friendly" ones, by sticking to all pre-mesh stuff and the ones with the mesh bodies are the badies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Flexi Hair ! Oh those happy happy days when the ladies hair was so real it bounced in the wind ! Hahaha ! It was excellent, but omg the complexity laughs again !

Nowadays everyones hair is usually solid as a rock, cemented in position in an effort to reduce lag. I notice these things :)

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

Flexi Hair ! Oh those happy happy days when the ladies hair was so real it bounced in the wind ! Hahaha ! It was excellent, but omg the complexity laughs again !

Nowadays everyones hair is usually solid as a rock, cemented in position in an effort to reduce lag. I notice these things :)

I use flexi prim hair. My avatar complexity is usually just below 100,000.

And yes, mesh hair is a total disaster 

Flexi Hair ! Oh those happy happy days when the ladies hair was so real it bounced in the wind ! Hahaha ! It was excellent, but omg the complexity laughs again ! Nowadays everyones hair is usually solid as a rock, cemented in position in an effort to reduce lag. I notice these things :)

When the avatar is moving then the most natural looking and natural real hair like movement is still available only for flexi hairs. Not all are complexity monsters. I still keep and occasionally wear some nice flexi hairs which have amazingly low complexity. Which is great. Flexi hair rocks when dancing.

The best mesh hairs on the market look beautiful and very realistic. Great for snapshots for example. The problem naturally is that they don't move like real hair does.
There some bento mesh hairs which ad some movement, but effect is not natural at all. Fexible mesh might be a solution, if at all possible to implement.

5 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Well..."real" is probably up to debate and/or personal taste. As someone with real life long hair, I can assure you the constant snake-like movement of flexi hair is not really how hair behaves at any length. It was also constantly pokeing through your body in certain poses. If long enough, it went all the way through from back to chest. I personally judge hair by how good the texture is and how well its structure is made.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

Well..."real" is probably up to debate and/or personal taste. As someone with real life long hair, I can assure you the constant snake-like movement of flexi hair is not really how hair behaves at any length. It was also constantly pokeing through your body in certain poses. If long enough, it went all the way through from back to chest. I personally judge hair by how good the texture is and how well its structure is made.

Flexi hair. This was very long but I shortened every flexi prim so it's about shoulder length. No problems clipping through the body now.
How the flexi hair moves depends a lot how the flexi prim parameters have been set. Admittedly some flexi hairs indeed do have far too wild movement.
About alpha sorting: It is rather obvious in light hairs. In dark hairs it does not show so easily, if at all.
(Hmm... now I noticed that one sculpted prim is showing a bit, must move it a bit so it stays hidden when dancing.) :/

2018-06-14_dancing.gif.1b355519ab58a6ac5e6216bc59a8fdf0.gif

Mesh hair. Excellently textured, but no natural hair movement. (All hair strands are sticking to each other, like glued together and glued to the body too.)
(eXxEsS and Stealthic are among top best ones who make excellent realistic hair textures for their mesh hairs.)

2018-06-23_dance_SL15B.gif.a27c85fbb1f16a1192bba66bda7092f2.gif

Personally I like both, well made flexi hairs and well made mesh hairs. What to wear depends on the mood and occasion.

• Like 5

What I find amazing that somebody had the cheek to claim that the Lady Di runner bean is stringless. I'm furious and in this moment making a rope from the strings what I found to make a whip and beat the hell out of that s.. bag if I find out how was that. 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:33 PM, Coby Foden said:

... I shortened every flexi prim so it's about shoulder length. No problems clipping through the body now.
How the flexi hair moves depends a lot how the flexi prim parameters have been set. Admittedly some flexi hairs indeed do have far too wild movement.
About alpha sorting: It is rather obvious in light hairs. In dark hairs it does not show so easily, if at all....

2018-06-14_dancing.gif.1b355519ab58a6ac5e6216bc59a8fdf0.gif

Awesome. what's the complexity ?

Edited by rasterscan

Awesome. what's the complexity ?

I'm not logged inworld right now, but if I remember right the ARC for the whole avatar in that picture is around 70 000.
Everything mesh except the hair and the headband which is rather old and is made of prims.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.