Why Has The Price Of Land Sales Doubled?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Linden Lab has authoritative direction and control within Second Life; it and it alone has power to control the making and administration of policy. If the "land business" of Second Life is a market, then Linden Lab is the government.

agree

and like @Prokofy Neva says the SL economic system is State Capitalism

6 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Linden Lab has authoritative direction and control within Second Life; it and it alone has power to control the making and administration of policy. If the "land business" of Second Life is a market, then Linden Lab is the government.

LL governs every aspect of Second Life, it has sole control and is the final authority, because it is a business, and they own the business. 

If you wish to call it a government, then call it a government.

I call it a private business that sets the rules, changing them as it sees fit to maximize its own profit, which once again, is the sole reason Second Life exists.

Anyone that has any dealings with LL is free to agree to their rules, or quit.

What would happen if LL subdivided the entire mainland and listed each parcel at $1 L PER PARCEL.

How would that affect the market? 

Land values would crash, all the flippers would lose their shirts, but everyone could get mainland at no cost.

And, LL would make a killing on increased tier. 

LL makes no real money on the sale of mainland parcels, it makes it on the tier after the land is bought. 

Land flippers each and every day have to live with the possibility that LL could cut the value of their land out from under them at any time.

It's not government in action, it's a business changing the rules to maximize its profit.

But it doesn't matter, LL doesn't care what you do with your land, live on it or play real estate tycoon, at the end of the day, it collects the same tier from everyone that owns a parcel.

Edited by Phorumities
fixed stuff

8 hours ago, Phorumities said:

What would happen if LL subdivided the entire mainland and listed each parcel at $1 L PER PARCEL.

How would that affect the market?

it used to be that way. The LL mainland system would automatically set Abandoned mainland parcels (after 24 hours grace) for sale at 4L per sqm. Other than land sent to auction. It worked for them up until about 2008? as I remember. Parcels snapped up almost immediately. Good times for everyone

Then the abandon rate started to out pace demand as LL private regions generation hit over drive. In about 2010? LL dropped the mainland price to 1L per sqm. It didn't stop the abandon rate. In About 2011/12? LL turned off automatically setting abandoned parcels for sale at IL per

they LL did this as the World Map was showing deserts of yellow sand. For sale parcels show on the Map as yellow

I would have to check Tyche's surveys for the exact dates of all this. But just before LL stopped automatic it was up over 20% of yellow linden-owned mainland desert sand for sale, and a bunch more auction land in color purple. Was a quite daunting visual of how badly things were going for LL  at the time

Edited by ellestones
linden-owned + auction

16 minutes ago, ellestones said:

it used to be that way. The LL mainland system would automatically set Abandoned mainland parcels (after 24 hours grace) for sale at 4L per sqm. Other than land sent to auction. It worked for them up until about 2008? as I remember. Parcels snapped up almost immediately. Good times for everyone

Then the abandon rate started to out pace demand as LL private regions generation hit over drive. In about 2010? LL dropped the mainland price to 1L per sqm. It didn't stop the abandon rate. In About 2011/12? LL turned off automatically setting abandoned parcels for sale at IL per

they LL did this as the World Map was showing deserts of yellow sand. For sale parcels show on the Map as yellow

I would have to check Tyche's surveys for the exact dates of all this. But just before LL stopped automatic it was up over 20% of yellow linden-owned mainland desert sand for sale, and a bunch more auction land in color purple. Was a quite daunting visual of how badly things were going for LL  at the time

Is 20% yellow for sale mainland desert worse than being not for sale?

I'd rather just walk around and pick up the parcel of my choice rather than having to submit a ticket or deal with a land flipper.

And I didn't say LL should sell it all at $1 L per sq m I said $1 L per parcel. Give the land away like they do on private estates. It's the tier LL wants, not a few pennies from the actual sale.

You can turn off "parcels for sale" on the world map by the way. No need to be reminded how bad things are.

1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

You can turn off "parcels for sale" on the world map by the way. No need to be reminded how bad things are.

true. Is just that LL didn't think it helped them to easily show to anyone how bad things were getting at the time

about being able to pick up parcels from LL just by buying them without having to file a ticket, I agree with that 

30 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Is 20% yellow for sale mainland desert worse than being not for sale?

I'd rather just walk around and pick up the parcel of my choice rather than having to submit a ticket or deal with a land flipper.

And I didn't say LL should sell it all at $1 L per sq m I said $1 L per parcel. Give the land away like they do on private estates. It's the tier LL wants, not a few pennies from the actual sale.

You know, if I didn't know better I'd say this was a case of, "I can't afford to buy what I want on the market so I want the government to give it to me for less than a penny."

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You know, if I didn't know better I'd say this was a case of, "I can't afford to buy what I want on the market so I want the government to give it to me for less than a penny."

It's the tier LL wants. I'm letting LL "give" me the opportunity to pay tier.

I own over 11,000 sq meters of mainland, so obviously I paid at least $11,000 for it, more actually because much of the land was bought from other LL citizens. If land was lowered to $1 L per parcel, then I "lost" all that money. But so what? If you can only sell your land for the replacement cost of buying another parcel, I have lost nothing because I can get another 11,000 sq m for the same price i could "sell" this one for. Under my plan i could simply walk away from it and pick up another parcel for "free", all the time giving LL its tier

If land was $1 L per parcel, anyone could abandon their land and move to another parcel. Giving land away will increase ownership and give individuals more choice and more flexibility. One reason people stay away from mainland is they are terrified someone might move in next door and blight the sim. If you could just abandon your land and get another parcel for free, a lot more people would be willing to give mainland a try.

You can accuse me of anything you wish, but LL is not a government in any way shape or form. It is a commercial entity looking for any way to maximize their profit. If someone in LL considered my idea and thought that would increase their profit, they would do it, and land flippers be damned because there are no rights apart from the TOS, and nothing in the TOS says land owners are guaranteed to keep the value of their land, or see a profit on their sale.

If you want an analogy, perhaps you would do better to see LL as Gods on Mt Linden, remaking their creation in any way they wish, changing any rules, at any time they choose.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.